• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Good ar-15 barrel for the money

Re: Good ar-15 barrel for the money

Its hard to beat the Daniel Defense CHF Barrels. You can usually find them for the 225-275.00 range. I have 3 and am really happy with the accuracy out of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rescueswimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its hard to beat the Daniel Defense CHF Barrels. You can usually find them for the 225-275.00 range. I have 3 and am really happy with the accuracy out of them. </div></div>

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of them, and with what ammo?

Chrome lining is great for extending the life of the barrel but I am VERY particular about accuracy. The idea of a rifle, however reliable and long lasting it may be, only getting ~~2 MOA on average makes me want to cut my balls off.

Do the CHF DD barrels do better than that? Im genuinely curious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rescueswimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its hard to beat the Daniel Defense CHF Barrels. You can usually find them for the 225-275.00 range. I have 3 and am really happy with the accuracy out of them. </div></div>

Chrome lining is great for extending the life of the barrel but I am VERY particular about accuracy. The idea of a rifle, however reliable and long lasting it may be, only getting ~~2 MOA on average makes me want to cut my balls off.

Do the CHF DD barrels do better than that? Im genuinely curious. </div></div>
I would go with a proven barrel get a WOA Recon. I get half MOA with mine.

what kind of bbl are you looking for? If you want a chome lined that will last forever, I like 1:7 BCM or DD. If you're looking for a little more accuracy and not as concerned with bbl life, check out a stainless Noveske.

Bushmaster barrels are pretty damn good for a mass produced barrel. I also own a DTI which is probably made by Wilson which I have been impressed with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The idea of a rifle, however reliable and long lasting it may be, only getting ~~2 MOA on average makes me want to cut my balls off.

</div></div>

Can I sig that? Lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rescueswimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its hard to beat the Daniel Defense CHF Barrels. You can usually find them for the 225-275.00 range. I have 3 and am really happy with the accuracy out of them. </div></div>

There is a difference between a precision rifle and a combat rifle you know...

1.5 to 2 MOA is perfectly acceptable for a combat rifle. If you want a precision rifle or an SPR you need to go with a stainless barrel like a WOA. However I have seen many Colt HBAR barrels that were easily capable of MOA or better performance and those are cr lined

White Oak, Rock Creek, Blackhole, Satern, Noveske......

All have decent write-ups on here. I am sure each place could make/get a barrel to your specs, to meet your needs.

I have a Walther 20"(not cheep $475) but it shoots moa with with quality factory rounds. Sub moa with hand loads.

i also have a black hole weaponry 16" m4 poly3 $275 and it shoots just over 1 moa with with 62gr ss109. At this point thats all i have been able to send down range with that barrel. It's new and has been to the range twice.

I will be in the market for another soon. It is for my daughters AR.

Black Heart International has Criterion AR barrels which are a division of Kreiger, they are great quality for the $. But you still can't go wrong with some of the others suggested too, DD, Noveske, White Oak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rescueswimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its hard to beat the Daniel Defense CHF Barrels. You can usually find them for the 225-275.00 range. I have 3 and am really happy with the accuracy out of them. </div></div>

I would go with a proven barrel get a WOA Recon. I get half MOA with mine. </div></div>
I also have one with the same results, .5-.75 MOA. 16" WOA Recon (actually Denny's Recon, same thing, slightly slimmer profile if I remember right)
Edit: Just saw that you're looking for a 24", sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The idea of a rifle, however reliable and long lasting it may be, only getting ~~2 MOA on average makes me want to cut my balls off.

</div></div>

Can I sig that? Lol </div></div>

I would be honored lol.

I just want to find a chrome lined barrel that will shoot as accurate as my LMT 308 Chrome lined barrel does. It seems EVERYONE is getting sub-MOA groups with theirs and I wonder why this is so uncommon for the 5.56 AR realm.

Perhaps I'll just buy a BCM and have it nitro'd so I get accuracy and a long life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Can I sig that? Lol </div></div>

I would be honored lol.

I just want to find a chrome lined barrel that will shoot as accurate as my LMT 308 Chrome lined barrel does. It seems EVERYONE is getting sub-MOA groups with theirs and I wonder why this is so uncommon for the 5.56 AR realm.

Perhaps I'll just buy a BCM and have it nitro'd so I get accuracy and a long life. </div></div>
Most AR15 5.56 barrels are swelled at the muzzle, relieving the metal down for a 1/2-28 thread allow the muzzle to open up so short 55gr fMJs come out wobbling. I purchased 6-7 different companies barrels this last summer to compare with inspection pins, most muzzles would allow a .219 pin to go into the muzzle apx 3/4" then stop. Another thing is one barrel manufacturer has crooked chambers, every stainless barrel I have seen from them(6 this year) has a crooked chamber and throat and can easily be seen with a borescope.
BCMs 410 stainless barrels are made by Krieger/Criterion and they are right as are most of the more custom stainless barrels from WOA, Noveske, Compass Lake etc. the CHF barrels I had both had bad crowns, one was to replace the other one that had a bad crown so I assume the whole batch did and they were not inspected.
The Colts I have had over the years are done right, with the extra steps needed to keep the muzzle swell to a minimum. We pay for the extra steps needed to control the muzzle swell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bustin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Most AR15 5.56 barrels are swelled at the muzzle, relieving the metal down for a 1/2-28 thread allow the muzzle to open up so short 55gr fMJs come out wobbling. I purchased 6-7 different companies barrels this last summer to compare with inspection pins, most muzzles would allow a .219 pin to go into the muzzle apx 3/4" then stop. Another thing is one barrel manufacturer has crooked chambers, every stainless barrel I have seen from them(6 this year) has a crooked chamber and throat and can easily be seen with a borescope.
BCMs 410 stainless barrels are made by Krieger/Criterion and they are right as are most of the more custom stainless barrels from WOA, Noveske, Compass Lake etc. the CHF barrels I had both had bad crowns, one was to replace the other one that had a bad crown so I assume the whole batch did and they were not inspected.
The Colts I have had over the years are done right, with the extra steps needed to keep the muzzle swell to a minimum. We pay for the extra steps needed to control the muzzle swell. </div></div>

That's interesting. I'd love to know who had the crooked chamber. Any test of a Wilson Combat Barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.O.R.G.S-Hassey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to buy a new barrel and my ar 15 and was wondering what you reccommend for the money. Thanks </div></div>

Click the link (specialized dynamics) below and talk to Scott. He's local and may have what you are looking for (although I think 20" is sufficient for what you are looking to do-my 18" does great out to 700 with 75/77gr pills.

For the money is vague, unless you specify what money....

bustin makes some interesting points (would be nice to know who the "we" he refers to is....), but if your barrel shoots submoa I wouldn't sweat the issues he brings up.

And I keep thinkg of the AORGS line......so you all are telling me once you all get out and make some money, and pop out a grey hair or two that you are going to give up shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[ if your barrel shoots submoa I wouldn't sweat the issues he brings up.

</div></div>

exactly.
If you happen to have one that shoots 4 MOA with 55fmjs you may want to try 24gr RE15 with 69gr SMKs loaded long(2.28 or so) or Black Hills 68s, 69s or 77s.
The difference may be unbelievable, I have seen a barrel shoot 6" groups at 100 with FMJs and 2 minutes later place 5 69gr SMKs into .5 MOA.

I have White Oak barrels in some rifles that do not see high barrel temps due to fast or prolonged strings of fire.

My AR match barrels are made by Krieger. They are very accurate (1/2moa) and last many thousands of rounds of hard practice and match shooting.

I have LaRue uppers for training rifles. They are a fantastic combination of accuracy (1moa) and EXTREMELY long barrel life (these rifle are PUNISHED with long strings of fire and little care. They just keep going and going and...)

Different choices for different applications
Mike

Call H over @ ar15performance.com he makes some awesome barrels or try the Rainier Ultra match barrels , depending on your budget get a custom & have it head spaced & matched with a bolt . I'm ordering a Krieger for my Mega MaTen build .