Good scope for 200 yards

nick112288

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2018
So I've made a couple purchases lately (Ruger American Gen 2 5.56 and T3x CTR 308) and now I'm looking to get my scopes. I know usually the question is what's your budget, which I'm willing to go up to $1,000 each, but with a max range of 200 yards I don't even know if I should be considering scopes that expensive.

200 yards is the max distance a local range that's within a reasonable distance is. I could MAYBE go out to 600 yards at my inlaws property, but honestly can't even remember if you can see the full 600 yards without a couple of ridges or trees getting in the way.

I don't want to spend $1,000 just to be able to say I have a $1,000 scope. If at 200 yards I could get away with a $500 scope and spend the other $500 on ammo that would be awesome. BUT I haven't looked at anything the scope makers have been doing for several years so I am way out of the loop.

Thanks for any suggestions!

How old are you? How are your eyes? What is your target? Are you shooting a 8” price of steel or wanting to shoot tiny groups at 200?

36. Eyes are good enough that I can get 5 shot groups with crappy Wolf steel case from a nothing fancy 16 inch AR with a red dot into a 6 inch diamond. No steel targets allowed at the range, just paper targets so I'd like to at least be able to tell what's happening on a Shoot-N-C without a dedicated spotter scope. Just seeing how good I can get/keep my groups.

Take a look at Trijicon, great glass for the price and can probably find something either on sale or in the classifieds in your budget.

Reactions: tacoman69
Made in PI, Not made in China. On sale, best warranty in the business. I have the 5-25x ones for around $800, but this one below is worth a look.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240810-094054_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240810-094054_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: 01911 and Baron23
Made in PI, Not made in China. On sale, best warranty in the business. I have the 5-25x ones for around $800, but this one below is worth a look.
Yep, I have a 3-15 Viper on a Rem 700 deer gun. Good scope for the money and yes....no matter what you do to it, Vortex will fix or replace.

On sale (usually are well discounted most places) for $849 at Eurooptic

For the 308, I would consider looking for a used Athlon GenII Cronus BTR 4.5-29. No you don’t need the magnification for 308 at 200 yards, but it’s a great scope, you won’t have any problem seeing bullet holes in paper, and in the future if you find a longer range and end up with something 6mm or 6.5, you won’t have to buy another scope. They are below $1000 used.

for inside 200 get a couple of 6x or 10x swfas, zero stop shims on ebay, spend the rest on ammo and call it a day. that or a discounted trijicon. those two brands are leaps ahead of anything else mentioned in terms of reliability (the most important aspect of a scope)

Reactions: Hickswr
LRTSi or LRHSi are good scopes for that range. I shoot my 22 with an LRTSi usually 168y and in, and it has served me well.

I’ve used an HDMR 2 as well and it is a decent scope. Probably tons more in or well under that price range.

I’ve got a NF 2-10 on my 7-08 deer rifle and 200 is close to MY limit on how far I’d hunt with it. Can find them used for close to 1k if you look around.

Last edited:
Check out Vortex. I personally don't have any but other shooters at the range let me check them out and they seem OK. Buy one and if you like it get another.

I would be looking at something in the 3-15x range and the earlier recommendation of Vortex PST Gen2 3-15x44 would be at the top of my list.
If you want to go a little retro, SWFA is about to release their updated fixed power SS scopes and you could do much worse for the money than one of their 10x42 or 12x42 designs.
Now, if you want to see bullet holes at 200 yards, 10x might not be ideal unless the lighting conditions are just right, so I'd still lean toward 2-15x or 3-18x scopes.
Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x42 is very competent.
Element Titan 3-18x50 is very good.

If you want more magnification than that, Vortex Viper HD 5-25x50 and Element Titan 5-25x56 should be at the top of your list.

If you want magnification on a lower budget, Element Helix 6-24x50.

ILya

Reactions: Baron23
For the Tikka I would put a Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x. Having the higher power will help when wanting to shoot groups even at 200 yards. You can always dial down power if you don't need it. You can't dial a 3-15x up to 30x if you needed. ;)

Could throw that on the Ruger also if you wanted. Another option is the Arken EP5s. The 5-25 or new 7-35.

I'm kinda looking in the same range right now (but trying to stay closer to $500). I also have a CTR but in 6.5cm.

I just picked up a Meopta Optika5 2.5-10x and it looks really nice. Euro glass/mechanics. There is also the Optika5 4-20x for around $450 with an illuminated reticle and if its as nice as this 2.5-10, I would highly recommend it.

I also have a Trijicon Credo and Huron (I plan to hunt with this setup) coming in to compare. You can get these in the $500-600 range too.

for $1k though, you could be looking at a Nightforce SHV if you want something really nice.

Last edited:
I don’t think Arken will hold up to 308 recoil. Just my .02
Ha Ha.....
The Arken is one of the few scopes I have used that hasn't shit itself on the 50!!

Attachments

• 20240802_134106.jpg
    20240802_134106.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240802_140630.jpg
    20240802_140630.jpg
    840.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240802_134116.jpg
    20240802_134116.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240802_134056.jpg
    20240802_134056.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240802_134133.jpg
    20240802_134133.jpg
    812.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240802_134814.jpg
    20240802_134814.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240802_124512.jpg
    20240802_124512.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Jack_L and Haney
I know this will get blasted here in this thread for even mentioning it, but I just put a Vortext Venom 5-25x56 on a Howa/Bell & Carlson 308 and I'm enjoying it. My range goes up to 300 yds and I've had no issues. Was able to find it brand new for $340.

I don’t think Arken will hold up to 308 recoil. Just my .02
I had Arkens on a 6.5 Grendel, .260 Rem, .308 Win, 7mm STW, and a .300 Ackley, and had no issues with handling recoil in hundreds of shots each. They’re tough scopes. Glass is mediocre, and so is the turret feel, and you do occasionally get a lemon, but their CS was always good, I’m just done with MIC scopes, and have moved on to better. At least the Burris XTR-2 is built in Philippines with Japanese glass, and on sale it’s not that much more than the Arkens, but better in every way.

I'm kinda looking in the same range right now (but trying to stay closer to $500). I also have a CTR but in 6.5cm.

I just picked up a Meopta Optika5 2.5-10x and it looks really nice. Euro glass/mechanics. There is also the Optika5 4-20x for around $450 with an illuminated reticle and if its as nice as this 2.5-10, I would highly recommend it.

I also have a Trijicon Credo and Huron (I plan to hunt with this setup) coming in to compare. You can get these in the $500-600 range too.

for $1k though, you could be looking at a Nightforce SHV if you want something really nice.
NF SHV and “really nice” don’t belong in the same sentence. 😂

Reactions: Rob01
Any scope will work @ 200 yards. LPVO with a wide field of view or fixed would be fine. I shoot ARs to 600 with a 3.5X fixed all the time.

You pretty much get what you pay for, but if you have no idea you probably won't be disapointed at around $1000.

If it were me I'd look at the SHV line of Niteforce in sfp. That is a metricfukton of scope for a grand.

Personally I would stay away from anything made in china.
As far as taking advice in the hide, well Koskin plays and judges everything fairly I would start with his recommendations.

Na Mate !!! Just someone who has spent WAY to much on "High End" optics over the years.
What Sightron, Burris, and Leupold? "High End"? No i just find it that I'm better off spending a little more on better quality scopes not made in china. I do wish i could afford the alpha glass on everything.

What Sightron, Burris, and Leupold? "High End"? No i just find it that I'm better off spending a little more on better quality scopes not made in china. I do wish i could afford the alpha glass on everything.
Mate i own...S&B , March , ZCO . Tangent Theta , Nightforce , Leica ....so yeah some "High End" glass ... the Arken has been a huge surprise..

nice being a subjective statement, compared to an Arken it certainly fits ;)

Joking aside, can you suggest something better under $1k?
The new Viper HD they just released a few months back. The glass is impressive as hell for the price tag. And the elevation turret is very similar to a Razor Gen3...Very positive and locks. It also has the RevStop ZS system (I wish it was like the Razor where it was built in with the micro-adjust system, but it's still a good setup). Lightweight. Best warranty in the industry. Call and talk to @Euro.Connor and he might can get you an even better price. And if you're MIL/LEO/VET/FR you can get a really good price on all Vortex products at EuroOptic.

Oh, and yeah, Arkens are kind of crap, but they are tough. All the ones I owned/own never failed...Some had shit glass and were lemons out of the box, but I never had a failure in thousands of rounds (combined). Lots of rounds on .260 and .308 with lots of long rapid shot strings on bolt guns. And even a good bit of rounds on some really big magnums with no issues. Held zero, tracked true, repeatable turrets. So, I will give them that tip of the cap.

Last edited:
The new Viper HD they just released a few months back. The glass is impressive as hell for the price tag. And the elevation turret is very similar to a Razor Gen3...Very positive and locks. It also has the RevStop ZS system (I wish it was like the Razor where it was built in with the micro-adjust system, but it's still a good setup). Lightweight. Best warranty in the industry. Call and talk to @Euro.Connor and he might can get you an even better price. And if you're MIL/LEO/VET/FR you can get a really good price on all Vortex products at EuroOptic.

Oh, and yeah, Arkens are kind of crap, but they are tough. All the ones I owned/own never failed...Some had shit glass and were lemons out of the box, but I never had a failure in thousands of rounds (combined). Lots of rounds on .260 and .308 with lots of long rapid shot strings on bolt guns. And even a good bit of rounds on some really big magnum with no issues. Held zero, tracked true, repeatable turrets. So, I will give them that tip of the cap.

I suppose it depends on what the guy actually plans on doing with the rifle. I would not trust a vortex or bushnell on anything but something that will be babied from the safe to the range. Every experience I have had with those brands (high to low end) they lose zero if they get bumped. If all you want is clear glass (on the high end models) and big mag range, sure, but a tough scope they are not.

Also this guy is shooting 200 yards... any decent variable 9x-16x is going to be more then enough and then some. I'm currently checking out a Meopta Optika5 2.5-10x its a solid feeling scope with surprisingly nice glass. Would be a good option for the ranges this guy is looking to shoot.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rob01
I suppose it depends on what the guy actually plans on doing with the rifle. I would not trust a vortex or bushnell on anything but something that will be babied from the safe to the range. Every experience I have had with those brands (high to low end) they lose zero if they get bumped. If all you want is clear glass and big mag range, sure, but a tough scope they are not.
Never had that issue, and had LOTS of Vortex scopes over the years, but I do agree on the Bushnell...And I feel the same way about Leupold...Overpriced and overhyped trash. The SHV's are just as fragile as the new Viper HD. I'd put them in the same fragility category for sure...But the glass and turrets win clearly goes to the Viper HD. The SHV's I've messed with had mushy turrets and the glass was mediocre for the price tag.

Now if he wants tough with great glass and a really good reticle, but it's $100 more than the $1000 budget... This is what I'd get.