Got my Vectronix Terrapin & compared it t my Swaro

Re: Got my Vectronix Terrapin & compared it t my Swaro

Sorry I didn't know they were a sponsor, but Botach just gave me the shipping number and it drop-shipped from Herndon, VA and was picked up by FedEx sixteen minutes ago, so I guess I can't complain about the Botach service this time.

Thanks for the heads up the heads up though. I'll remember it for next time.

Should be here Tuesday by 3.

Got my Terrapin through Eurooptic. Very pleased with them and the Terrapin. Compared it to Leica Geovids. Very close. Of course the Terrapin will read over 2k m where the Leica will not read at all.

Gack! Botach shipped it and FedEx delivered it to the Post Office on the 4th, now it's missing in the Post Office somewhere...

Arrgh!!

Interesting how a $2k much in demand LRF just gets 'lost' at the post office. You have to be a little suspicious that someone walked out of the USPS with it. Why couldn't fedex just deliver to your door?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting how a $2k much in demand LRF just gets 'lost' at the post office. You have to be a little suspicious that someone walked out of the USPS with it. Why couldn't fedex just deliver to your door? </div></div>

The Post Office is offering drop service for UPS and FedEx nowadays. You can sign a signature authorization form so they can accept packages.

There are several benefits, including (theoretically) greater security (meaning FedEx won't drop it on your doorstep where someone can grab it) and greater convenience (meaning the USPS is supposed to put the package in a locker and put the key in your post office box where you can retrieve your package any time, 24/7.

And finally, for security reasons, nobody knows where I live...well, nobody official. I don't have mail, or UPS, or pizza delivered to my house because I don't want my name linked with my home address in commercial databases. That's why I have a PO box. Much more secure and private.

It takes a day longer with UPS and FedEx because they don't distribute the packages and keys till the next day, but it's far more secure.

In this case, it's likely that the package was inadvertently bunched in with other parcels heading for a sorting facility by mistake. The good news is that the postal employee who signed for it is responsible for either finding it or making sure I get my money back.

So, even though it may be lost or stolen, eventually I'll get my money back from the USPS. They are working both ends, both searching for the package and working on the claim form. And I'll get the postal inspectors involved, so if someone did steal it, there's a good chance they'll get caught.

Not a fatal error, just a glitch that will take some time to clear up. I've had dozens of deliveries made to the Post Office in this manner in the last year, so this is highly unusual.

Still, it's annoying.

Whoopee! The Postmaster called me at 9:30 to tell me my package had arrived from FedEx moments ago!

So, what happened is that during a busy period FedEx delivered the package to the PO and it was signed for, but the worker put it next to an outgoing mail bin and evidently someone put it in the bin.

Eventually, it made its way back to FedEx, which shipped it back to the distributor, Potomac River Group, in Herndon, VA as undeliverable. PRG promptly re-labled it and sent it OVERNIGHT back to the Post Office here.

Thanks Potomac River Group for handling this screw-up so quickly and efficiently.

So, I'm sitting at brunch at the cafe reading the manual and later today will start making the measurements to have the MOD Armory iPhone adapter's PVS-14/7 fixed-eyecup flange adapter reengineered to fit the larger Terrapin ocular. This will allow me to attach the iPhone to the Terrapin and move on with the rangefinder/spotting scope/iPhone setup mentioned previously. On inspection, while the rubber eyecup is removable, there is no internal or external thread on the Terrapin eyepiece to screw into, so a clamp-on adapter is the only option.

I also note that the Terrapin has an NV setting for the reticle so that you can attach a PVS-14 to it for night use, so I'll also see about getting MOD Armory to make a Terrapin/PVS-14 adapter and I'll update you guys as I hear from them.

Next is an adjustable mount for the LaRue SPOTR system so I can mount the Terrapin on top of the Leupold scope using the LaRue Picatinny rail and zero the Terrapin with the Leupold. This will let me spot with the Leupold at high power and then just press to range even without the iPhone attached.

you need this mount from Ashbury to pair correctly the 2 reticles spotter/rangefinder..... I'll have mine first days of October...

ashuburymount.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Altnews</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I also note that the Terrapin has an NV setting for the reticle so that you can attach a PVS-14 to it for night use, so I'll also see about getting MOD Armory to make a Terrapin/PVS-14 adapter and I'll update you guys as I hear from them.
</div></div>

Based on personal experience the terrapin does not have a true night vision setting. Here is a thread I started when I was trying to figure it out:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3163925#Post3163925

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcmillanman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Altnews</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Based on personal experience the terrapin does not have a true night vision setting. Here is a thread I started when I was trying to figure it out:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3163925#Post3163925 </div></div>

Thanks for the tip, I'll do some investigating myself and post the results. It may be that since you posted they've upgraded the unit. I should be able to use my iPhone and PVS-14 adapter to shoot pictures through the Terrapin. I'll keep working on it.

I wouldn't have thought it possible had I not seen it with my own eyes but I repeatedly ranged a freakin cloud at 3200 yds with mine one night.

Playing with mine tonight. Getting 3K yd readings about. Crazy. Don;t really know what its hitting is kindof dark. But its reading. It deff trees and field brush so its not a great reflective target. I'm impressed

Thought I'd share some measurements done a month ago in good weather: man-sized objects (two people walking) - 1040m, wind electric generator mast - 2300m, some two-level houses - 4000m+. All repeatable and verifiable. I was both happy and impressed.