• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Grade my proposed .308AR build. Comments/Critiques/Experiences all welcome.

AdamO

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
Arizona
So as I embark on this endeavor to build my first .308 chambered AR style rifle it has become very much apparent that and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure where these builds are concerned.

My original goal/intent for the rifle is to have a medium to long range hunting weapon that I can shoot reliably out to 600 yards. Deer season in Arizona it's not uncommon to take a 500 yd shot. This being a mountain gun that I will be schlepping around, my focus is also on keeping it relatively light weight but not so lightweight as to make it unstable. Specifically between 7-8 pounds before optics/ammo I've determined should be acceptable. I was aiming for 7.5 but I've already succumbed to myself that it may be a pipe dream and still have everything I want.

And of course I want everything for nothing just like any other Red Blooded American does so staying on a budget is always a concern....

I've put together a parts list over the past month or so that has seen more revisions than Michael Jackson's nose.

I think I've finally gotten it settled and I've already purchased the upper and lower as a combo set from Aero Precision to get it started. Here goes the rest of the build:

Barrel:

Fulton Armory - 18.5" Criterion Light Profile 1/10 Match - 38.4oz, $349.95

Barrel, 18.5", .308 AR, Light Weight, 1x10, Chrome Lined, Threaded, Match Quality, FA by Criterion

Compensator:

Kaw Valley Precision Linear Comp - 2.9oz, $43.95

Kaw Valley Precision 30cal Linear Comp-5/8x24-Black

Adj. Gas Block:

Syrac Ordinance .750 - 1.68oz, $96.00

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Gas Blocks | Gas Block: Syrac Ordnance .750 Low Pro Adjustable Gas Block

Gas Tube:

Fulton Armory - Rifle Length, FAR-308AR - 1.6oz (est?), $14.95

Gas Tube, Rifle, FAR-308 AR

Hand Guard:

Midwest Industries - SS Free Float, High Profile, 12" - 12.4oz (incl. Barrel Nut), $159.95

Midwest Industries MI DPMS .308 7.62 SS12 SS15 Free Float Handguard

BCG:

Fulton Armory - .308 AR, Chrome - 20.5oz, $299.95

Bolt Carrier Group, .308 AR, Chrome with Staked Chrome Key, Includes Complete Bolt

Charging Handle:

Fulton Armory - Tital - 1.3oz (est.?), $59.95

Charging Handle Assembly, Titan

Upper Receiver:

Aero Precision - M5 .308 Assembled (DPMS) - 14oz, $139.50

M5 (.308) Upper and Lower combo - Combo Sets

Lower:

Aero Precision - M5 .308 Stripped (DPMS) - 12.5oz, $166.50

M5 (.308) Upper and Lower combo - Combo Sets

LPK:

Aero Precision - M5 Complete LPK - 7oz (est?), $89.00

Aero Precision, Complete Lower Parts Kit

Buffer Tube Assy:

DPMS - AR-Style .308, Commercial - 7.9oz (est?), $59.95

AR-STYLE .308 STOCK MOUNTING KITS | Brownells

Stock:

FAB Defense - GLShock GP - 14.1oz, $119.05

The Mako Group - Product Detail - Recoil-reducing M4/AR-15 Stock and adjustable cheekpiece

Gunsmithing:

Fulton Armory - Precision Barrel Install, Fit, Polish, Headspace - 0.0oz, $50.00 (well spent!)

Fulton Armory | FAR-308 Services

Total Weight: 8.39lbs

Total Cost: $1648.70

So that's it so far.... I missed the mark on the weight by nearly a pound and I realize there are ways I can trim that back. But all things considered I'm still lighter than a lot of off the shelf rifles and I feel like this will be a quality rifle that should run well and shoot very well.

I don't know... maybe there are some hidden gem parts and pieces out there in AR land that could do a better job of meeting my goals and maybe even saving some $$$. But this is the best I can come up with.

Cheap, Lightweight, and Accurate... pick two!

Thoughts?

-AdamO