• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Gradous 308 rifle build, superbly done

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
I picked up my new rifle yesterday at Roberts shop. I will not have the excuse that I am limited by my equipment.

We shot about 20 rounds and suffice to say the rifle is much much better than the 1/2 MOA guarantee. I shot my handloands, Roberts handload and some gold metal match. I say it will shot much better for many reasons. A major reason is I shot it right handed with right eye. I shoot left handed and am left eye dominate. I had a very hard time seeing the very thin crosshair reticle due to astigmatism.

I can not wait to see what I can do with it at 600 and 800 yards.

The rifle uses a AICS chassis, Krieger barrel,ex-treme tactical trigger and Jamie's Bat Tactical action.

If you are considering a future build I highly recomend Robert Gradous.

Re: Gradous 308 rifle build, superbly done

Congratulations!
My eyes must be terrible, because I don't see a picture
smile.gif

Other components include, Badger brake,Accu-shot adapter on bottom rail so I can use Atlas bipod with ADM quick release (I use same bipod on two other rifles).

In photos below I have Premier 5-25x56 mounted in 1" Badger USMC rings. I removed this setup from TRG. Rings are to low for AICS so I'll most likely sell them. I may go Spuhr 1.18". Or Badger 1.125" which will increase present clearance without scope cover from 1.651 mm to total clearance of 6.845 mm.

p1010520.jpg

p1010521_copy1.jpg
p1010522.jpg

Thats awesome! Did he supply all the componets or did you buy it all and send it to him?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't recall exactly but it was somewhere between 6 to 8 weeks. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats awesome! Did he supply all the componets or did you buy it all and send it to him?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't recall exactly but it was somewhere between 6 to 8 weeks. </div></div> </div></div>

I bought all the components and delivered them personally. He had the barrel I wanted in stock. I think he knows what barrels are good and also popular so he knows what to stock. If I had to wait on barrel then it would have taken much longer for me to have rifle built.

My barrel is a #17 Contour Heavy Varmint 1:11 twist.

Rifle looks awesome, as it should with those components. The rings look perfect to me, I would forget the butler creek caps and just run a scope cover. They break all the time anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would forget the butler creek caps and just run a scope cover. They break all the time anyway.</div></div>

I only have 1.651mm of space between the barrel and scope. Would that be enough room to use bikini covers?

No! Get a different set of rings. I had a set of NF rings, and only had 2mm clearance between the NF 56MM bell, and AX chassis barrel shroud. I noticed the scope had dings on the bottom of the bell from the rifle when it was fired. Everything flexes when a rifle is fired from the barrel to the scope. 1.6mm is NOT enough clearance IMHO..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would forget the butler creek caps and just run a scope cover. They break all the time anyway.</div></div>

I only have 1.651mm of space between the barrel and scope. Would that be enough room to use bikini covers? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No! Get a different set of rings. I had a set of NF rings, and only had 2mm clearance between the NF 56MM bell, and AX chassis barrel shroud. I noticed the scope had dings on the bottom of the bell from the rifle when it was fired. Everything flexes when a rifle is fired from the barrel to the scope. 1.6mm is NOT enough clearance IMHO..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would forget the butler creek caps and just run a scope cover. They break all the time anyway.</div></div>

I only have 1.651mm of space between the barrel and scope. Would that be enough room to use bikini covers? </div></div> </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">6.8mm clearance is what I will end up with if I run Badger 1.125 rings. That should be enough clearance shouldn't it?</span>

That would work.. I had the NF 1.265 rings with about 1.5mm of clearance. Then I ran into my issue with the scope hitting the shroud of the barrel. I then bought the NF 1.375. Much better! I know have about 9mm of clearance. Works like a charm!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will be fine with that clearance, barrels do whip, but not like the shroud on a chassis. </div></div>

I made a computation error space will be 5.2 mm clearance. That's 1.65 mm less than I thought. I should be fine? Yes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't recall exactly but it was somewhere between 6 to 8 weeks. I supplied all the parts except the barrel. </div></div>

+2. Short wait time for such a great looking rifle!