• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Greetings, need some advice...

Lucas_061287

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
First off, I'd like to introduce myself as a long time lurker, first time member of this forum. Seems like it is a wealth of information and I'm hoping to learn a great deal as a member!
smile.gif

My plan is as follows- Rem 700 7.62 NATO build, Leupold scope (not sure which yet), Badger M5 trigger guard so I can use detatchable mags, HS Precision stock, Harris bi-pod, future sound suppressor... thats all that comes to mind right now.

Anyways, I've actually found a good deal on a like-new HS Precision stock, which has gotten the ball rolling on this build. I'm trying to source barreled receivers (.308/7.62 chamber, 20" barrel w/ 1:10 twist), and thus far my search has yeilded nothing as of yet. If anyone could refer me to a reputable source for a quality, but not TOO expensive, barreled receiver, I would appreciate it greatly.

Also, I apologize if this is something that has been discussed before. I suck at searching and couldn't find anything relevant.

Thanks!

-Lucas

Re: Greetings, need some advice...

Welsome to the hide,
I would get a Remington SPS 26" and get it cut back or get an SPS Tactical that is 20". Later you could rebarrel it after you got a chance to shoot it for a while. Sometimes with a little touch up the factory rig will shoot.

Good Luck,
JamieD

I actually JUST saw the Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD and WOW!!! Seems like a great deal for what you get. I'm just worried that the Hogue stock may not allow the barrel to free float with the use of a bipod, and can't seem to find the info on that issue either.

Nothing wrong with having your own build. Depending on your shooting experience it's not a bad option together things started with an SPS. as suggested. It's cheaper that way. Spend more money on the ammo or reloading.

Oh I'm in the middle of a "tip-top" AR-15 build at the moment too and have build a Mauser 98 chambered in .243 Win. (made my own walnut stock and everything... when I was 14), so I'm not afraid to build one. I just want this to be right from the get-go and to have the best "bang for the buck" I can, within reason of course. And I'm not looking to shoot .25 MOA @ 1,000 yards or anything. Just something I can use effectively at 300-800 yards, hence my interest in the easily available 7.62/.308 chamber.

Thanks for the input thus far fellas!