Grendel pistol

Duegee krell

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2018
Ive been thinking of building the longest length barrel possible 6.5 grendel pistol what is that 12.5. I think. I would also run a can on it. Do they have to be pinned. How is the performance of smaller 6.5 bullets in the pistols. And considering the can adding 6 inches on. (I know some say it can increase or decrease fps) dont want to open that can of worms. I would like to run the 90-100 grainers. What kind of range and performance could I expect. Thanks to all

What do you mean about "the longest length pistol barrel"? You can make a pistol barrel 30" long if you want, except for a few states that may have max length restrictions.

Only reason to pin/weld a muzzle device is to meet minimum 16" legal length to call it a rifle. Don't waste your money doing that on a pistol.

Sounds like you should do some research on bullets for the Grendel. Unless you want it as a varmint gun, the light weight bullets are probably a poor choice and won't give you the performance the gun would be capable of.

That’s exactly what i want for and thanks for the help. Probably gonna be a badass little varmint gun at that. Pigs and dogs. Im sure you will say there are better choices. But in a small lower idk.

I am planning on doing a form one for a 12.5" sbr grendel here soon. Where I am any shot beyond 300yrds is pretty uncommon and since I already have a 6.5 rifle its one less calibre in have to stock for.

My plan is to shoot heavier bullets than you (120-129) but everything I've read says the 6.5 and 6.8 are very comparable out to about 3-4 hundred yards. With certain loads they both can take medium game out to my max shooting distance. Plus with the wolf ammo I can do some local carbine matches on the cheap! And not care about leaving the brass (or steel) behind!

6.5 G in a short barrel to me, doesn't make sense. I would go 6.8 SPC, especially if your looking at a 12.5" barrel...

The Grendel makes just as much sense in a short barrel as the 6.8, unless you're just drinking the SPC koolaid. Performance of the two in 12.5" barrels is very very close at short range, but the Grendel outruns the 6.8 at long range pretty easily (and yes I do mean from a 12.5" barrel) unless you're using light varmint bullets in the Grendel.

Guys, this topic comes up at least once a week here; a number of us have short barrel Grendels and talk about them frequently. I think there are 3 or 4 other threads on this on the first two pages of this board right now. A bit of reading goes a long way.

My personal 12.5" Grendel, with Bartlein barrel (with carbine +1" gas system) by Craddock, built up on a LaRue Stealth 2.0 upper, with a 16 year old LMT SBR lower that sports a Vltor A5 recoil system:

IMG_0753.jpeg

I've only shot it with my TB Ultra 7 suppressor. It's a tad picky about ammo, but manages 5-shot groups well under MOA with the right Hornady ammo. With a muzzle velocity of 2315 fps, it's a very potent package.

As an aside, the Stealth 2.0 upper (with forend) is an outstanding product.

Badass! Seriously thinking about a Grendel pistol down the road. Love my 18". Any plans to hunt with this rascal?

I know you were asking him, but figured I'd chime in too. :)

I used the 129 ABLR in my 12.5" SBR a few weeks ago. Only shot one smallish deer (and some turtles, they eat the fish in our ponds), but it worked great. Impact damage was more than I expected from this mild cartridge, and plenty adequate for southern whitetail.

After walking the woods with it for a week, I really like this Grendel SBR for hunting; it's way lighter and smaller than my more traditional hunting rifles, it carries easy and is fast on target, and even with a suppressor attached it's still not any bigger than most other rifles. I'll be using it again.

Also, mine is an SBR, but it really wouldn't have made any difference if it were in pistol format with a decent brace. I do sometimes use that upper on a folding pistol lower, with good effect. Either setup works well and has it's place.

n82X7ED.jpg

Reactions: az 762 nato
DSC_1167-1.jpg

Here is my 6.5 Grendel pistol. It's currently rocking an EXPS3 instead of the UH-1. I absolutely love it. Had 2 jams in one box of Wolf, but after that she's ran 100% for the next few hundred rounds.

Also, I put my 4-14 NF F1 on it and was getting around 1 MOA with Hornady black and SSTs.

Reactions: long range sponge
I love it, it's become my go-to for damn near everything. Using 129 ABLRs even gives it damn good reach on deer too. It came out this past elk season, but unfortunately didn't get to take a shot with it. It's culled quite a few 300-400yd coyotes, and racks in a few more most every weekend.
Kinda priceless watching people's faces at the range when I take a short rifle and start ringing steel at 800+ too

Reactions: Raffica762 and AMP!