Hunting & Fishing Ground blinds....

Sendero_Man

OMWP... the way I roll
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 29, 2007
    Buffalo, Wyoming
    montanagunslings.com
    son is wanting to get more into bow hunting..

have great waterholes around for antelope and spots in the cottonwoods for whitetails...

Looking at buying a ground blind. Suggestions ??

Primos Ground Max Vision ?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos174-Ground-Max174-Vision8482-Hunting-Blind/745388.uts

Ameristep Brickhouse ?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ameristep-Brickhouse-Blind/745433.uts

whose are good ? never used one or been around one. Just thinking it might help the boy out.

thanks, Scott

Re: Ground blinds....

I would go with the primos blind. I have a ground max. It is not the vision model. The one I have has three windows on each side. Thats what I dont like about it. You loose a lot of viewing area. The Vision looks nice and will be able to see all angles. I have been in a down poor in my blind. You might get a drip or two on you. But you stay nice and dry.

I've had a couple over the last few years. And the Primos Vision is the one i'm sticking with. Awesome easy fast set up. nice and roomy. i've hunted with four guys in arm chairs for hogs in mine. love the magnets much quitter than velcro. And the 360 vision plays a huge roll. not having to wait for a shot then right before your ready they step into the next opening so you have to switch windows. trust me that happened to me several times. but now i don't have to worry bout it.

PRIMOS BECAUSE:

1 . it's higher, less chance or getting the upper limb tagled up or "slapping" the roof, it's also wider

2. the windows able to be opened more, nice for getting into position at full draw without having to be interfered with or have to reposition around the center sections.

3. the primos one is originally over $200.00, your getting it fro a great price.

4. the primos one has gear pockets in the pack, and a feature that helps carry the bow or rifle. very handy when heading out and setting up having those free hands.

That would be a great Christmas present for Tyler! You could get me one for Christmas too!
    whistle.gif

I picked up a couple Barronett blinds at the local Orscheln Farm store.

These were $90 each as I didn't want to drop the coin on a $200 blind just to see it turn into a kite in the KS wind.

Darn sure large enough to set on a tall 5 gallon bucket and shoot 34" + ATA bow without issue. Close to 6' tall inside center height. Has replaceable shoot through screens.

Model is a 250 Grounder. I wasn't crazy about the "blood camo" scheme in the store, but they blend ok next to prarie grass and Yuccas.

These have held up to 50mph wind gusts and a heavy downpour over the last couple months. If a $200 plus blind holds up any better, I would be supprised (not sure Barronett doesn't manufacture some of the others I looked at due to very very similar construction).

IMG_20101030_181438.jpg

This pic makes it appear to stand out more than they actually do. Plus I dressed them up just a bit since taking it.
    IMG_20101030_121253.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be a great Christmas present for Tyler! You could get me one for Christmas too!
    whistle.gif
    </div></div>

huh... there is an idea !
    grin.gif

I have sat in both and own two Primos. I would stick with the primos for the above comments as well as the material is a little tougher and and the frame seems to be put together a little better than the ameristep. If you spend a little time finding a pocket of brush to set it up in and brush it in, you can just about make those things disappear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This pic makes it appear to stand out more than they actually do. Plus I dressed them up just a bit since taking it.
    IMG_20101030_121253.jpg

</div></div>

Great thread Scott...never used one because I thought they stood out too much but been a few times the weather made me want to try one or when hunting a flat with no place to hide.

Gunner - do the deer act spooky around a setup like this? If you got set it up in advance it would be good but I could not do that where I hunt without it getting stolen.

I have an ameristep bone collector, and love it. Lots of windows. and all of the windows have bungie retention straps so you dont have to use the velcro. This cuts down on noise a lot. Ive had turkeys come within 5ft of it. Ventilation is excellent too. Myself (6ft) and my buddy (6ft3in) both fit in it comfortably, including the chairs were sitting on. Plenty of room to pull back on a bow. another thing I like about it is its room window. I use this blind for duck and goose hunting as well. I think you can find them well under $200

Have you looked at the Double Bull blinds as well. They are a little more expensive but to me they are the bar to judge from. Very nice and you can find them used sometimes. Other than that the primos is a little bit like them as well.

I do not know if Primos bought out Double Bull or not. However I will say that my Double Bull blinds are by far the best blinds I have ever used. I am a handicapped person, so I am limited to hunting in ground blinds. Our DB's have held up considerably better than any other blinds we have used. The one DB blind is left up all season long. This is the fifth season, and it is just like new. Top quality blind. But not cheap. Tom.

Unfortunately they bought them out in 07. I have not looked at the new ones but the old ones are really nice.
    Scott,
    If you can look at them in person before you buy it would help you out. Look for a thick fabric covering and the hardware for set up and take down. The old DB's had a almost canvas fabric that was thick and blocked out the weather. They could be left up year round with little fade. The hardware was not the best and if you do not put it up the right way the hub will break. Check out some hunting forums and they should have some reviews for the latest greatest!!! You pay for what you get in a pop up blind.
    The above is just my experience.

Scott, I don't know about the newer ameristeps, but the two I have had for about four years, I have not been impressed with. I have an intimidator and a brickhouse, both in max1 camo. Until this year I have used both of them about 10 times because they break repeatably.

My biggest problem has been the metal pieces that hold the rods into the hubs. There are two small dog ears that stick out 90 degrees on each metal piece that holds the rods into the hubs. I have had every single one on my intimidator's break and over half on my brickhouse's. I called ameristep this year before season and had them send me enough new ones to replace every single one on both blinds. The replacements they sent me seem to be made out of a much sturdier metal and I have had no problems with them since.

The second problem I have is the fabric ripping where the hubs connect to the blind. The ameristep material is much thinner and not near as durable as the primos/double bull. There is a grommet, like on a vinyl tarp, and the hub connects through its hole. I have had several of these rip out on both blinds. I took both blinds this year and cut a bunch of 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" pieces of nylon webbing from and extra safety harness I had laying arounnd and sewed them over the gromet holes. I then cut a small hole in the center and burned it with a lighter so it would not fray or rip and reinstalled the hubs. This has made them alot more durable and I have not had any problems since my alterations.

I wrote this long post to basically tell you that I think the ameristeps are pieces of junk. The only reason I haven't thrown them away is because I spent several hundred dollars on them when I purchased them, and lots of my personal time fixing them. I have hunted out of several older double bulls and the new primos blinds and think they are far superior.

I have and use 2 double bull(older) prior to primos and 3 asat blinds. I leave the blinds out from July until it snows. Once the snow flies the hub style blinds have to come down or you will snap the poles from the snow weight once the top collapses. Or you have to put a center pole in the blinds that supports the center hub while your not hunting.

If you want a double bull cheap go to cabela's bargain cave at your store and grab one for half price it will have a broken hub or rods but you can get the parts for free it fix just make sure its not ripped.

I have a couple of the older Double Bull matrix 360's. They aer well built and worth the extra money if you ask me. What I have really noticed is the material is some good stuff as it must be UV protected as it fades very little and has held up well. I have seen the lesser brands fade a bunch if left out and some have actually turned pink believe it or not.

I hope the quality holds up with Primos buying them out.

On another note , our whitetails here in south texas can spot a mile away and they need to be "brushed" in like the above pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good first hand info here on the difference in quality and what to watch for. I'll be at Cabela's tomorrow and am going to have a look. </div></div>

Greg,

let me know what you think and how they compare with your hands on...

thanks to all that have taken time to post here and tell my your experiences with them. I appreciate it !

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OKbow87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, I don't know about the newer ameristeps, but the two I have had for about four years, I have not been impressed with. I have an intimidator and a brickhouse, both in max1 camo. Until this year I have used both of them about 10 times because they break repeatably.

My biggest problem has been the metal pieces that hold the rods into the hubs. There are two small dog ears that stick out 90 degrees on each metal piece that holds the rods into the hubs. I have had every single one on my intimidator's break and over half on my brickhouse's. I called ameristep this year before season and had them send me enough new ones to replace every single one on both blinds. The replacements they sent me seem to be made out of a much sturdier metal and I have had no problems with them since.

The second problem I have is the fabric ripping where the hubs connect to the blind. The ameristep material is much thinner and not near as durable as the primos/double bull. There is a grommet, like on a vinyl tarp, and the hub connects through its hole. I have had several of these rip out on both blinds. I took both blinds this year and cut a bunch of 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" pieces of nylon webbing from and extra safety harness I had laying arounnd and sewed them over the gromet holes. I then cut a small hole in the center and burned it with a lighter so it would not fray or rip and reinstalled the hubs. This has made them alot more durable and I have not had any problems since my alterations.

I wrote this long post to basically tell you that I think the ameristeps are pieces of junk. The only reason I haven't thrown them away is because I spent several hundred dollars on them when I purchased them, and lots of my personal time fixing them. I have hunted out of several older double bulls and the new primos blinds and think they are far superior. </div></div>

I've been using my Ameristep Intimidator for three years. I've set it up and taken it down dozens of times and have never experienced the issues that you outline. Maybe I should knock on wood. At any rate, I disagree with your statement that they are junk. Mine sure isn't. I've hunted out of a buddies older Double Bull several times and I like the Intimidator better.

To each his own.

Rob Opp

Junk may have been an over statement, but I think they should be more durable than what I have experienced. If I can put up a double bull over 60 times during one turkey season and not have a problem with it, I know its not my set up technique. Especially since I do it just the way ameristep says and start with the top first. I have left both out all this deer season since mid september and not had any more problems since I put all the new rod caps and reinforced the blind where the hubs connect and have left them both out it some helacious wind.

Well...Cabela's only had the Primos blinds set-up and the Double Bull was definitely built the best. I personally liked the Primos Vision windows and netting better because you could slide them like a curtain vs the Velcro that I consider to be noisy.

As far a weather "proof", I would say the stitching on the Vision would be more likely to leak as you could see light through it where you could not on the Double Bull.

The difference in price could be seen in how heavy the corners were reinforced, the weight of the fabric and the quality of the zippers. To me the features of openings depended more on personal preference than price.

They had some Ameristep blinds but they were not set up so I could not make a comparison.

midwest hay bail blinds!

These are the most realistic as they come and you dont need to set them up 2 months before antelope season just a day or two, if any animal has ever seen a bail they will not be scared of coming in to water or just traveling there same old trail.

Although the windows are not that large and the 360 view that some talk about won't be on this one, if you can teach him to get used to it, you will spook less game and get closer shots.

Good luck! If I know you will will make something work!!
    Send pics!!