• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gun Clubs Today: Is this a normal practice?

Strbrd22

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Aug 1, 2024
Western NY
Wanted to get the Hide's perspective on something to see if this is typical practice: As a little background, I recently moved back to my hometown and joined the Rod & Gun club my father has belonged to for 30 years and I have been shooting at since I was 6. The club has about 650 members, trap, skeet, 'tactical' range, 300 yd flat range, 3D archery. It is a great place to shoot. More recently, they have expanded things to include a club house with a bar and kitchen. From what I can tell, save for large events or shoots, the only people that hang out at the bar regularly are chain smoking alcoholics who don't have families or dudes trying to escape their wives haha.
Anyway, I went to the club meeting yesterday which was mandatory for new members and one of their new stipulations for new members is 5 hours of club service within the first month of membership or else you are disenrolled. This apparently is a result of having a ton of members, but nobody to volunteer to do range maintenance, score trap and skeet leagues, bartend, or cook in the kitchen. At this point in my life, with a family, I have more money than time. With that, I always police myself and do not leave any brass or garbage on the range. When did this range become a co-op? What are your thoughts? Fight it since it isn't in the bylaws yet, or provide some slave labor to a club that I pay to belong to?... Why not just raise dues and hire kitchen staff / trap scorers / lawn mowers? It seems like the average age of the club members is about 60 which I understand at a certain point you cant keep lugging around railroad ties, shovel gravel, etc...but the people that have time for club functions are retired... im in my 30s and if I get a small window of time to do a quick ladder test some afternoon , I want to be able to knock it out - not perform work party functions. What are your thoughts?

Our local club runs on volunteer labor. It's also a whooping $50 membership for access to skeet, sporting clays, pistol bays, rifle range, cowboy range...

We couldn't hire 1 single part time person without bringing the dues up to $500+. We'd lose half the members that are only there because it's cheap and they use it 5 times a year. Then we'd lose a lot more because it's expensive and they can buy a few targets and drive a few more minutes to public land.

So, we keep it cheap, we get stuff organized, and get it done. We may be better off because of those such as myself that will bring my teenage boys along to help get stuff done. So we're having family time, and volunteer time together.

I'm also in my 30s. Most of the guys actively doing stuff at the range are between 25 and 65. Maybe just a better range of age and talent?

Probably because new members have been trashing the place with all the shit people love to shoot and just leave it all there for others to clean up.
Yeah probably all members writ large. They have cameras. Hold those people accountable. Charge them more money or get rid of them... Five hours of volunteer work when you work 60 hours a week to support your family is kind of a bridge too far IMO... But for sure people are scum bags anywhere you go and don't respect ranges... not necessarily just new members.

Our local club runs on volunteer labor. It's also a whooping $50 membership for access to skeet, sporting clays, pistol bays, rifle range, cowboy range...

We couldn't hire 1 single part time person without bringing the dues up to $500+. We'd lose half the members that are only there because it's cheap and they use it 5 times a year. Then we'd lose a lot more because it's expensive and they can buy a few targets and drive a few more minutes to public land.

So, we keep it cheap, we get stuff organized, and get it done. We may be better off because of those such as myself that will bring my teenage boys along to help get stuff done. So we're having family time, and volunteer time together.

I'm also in my 30s. Most of the guys actively doing stuff at the range are between 25 and 65. Maybe just a better range of age and talent?
That is a valuable perspective. Great idea bringing the boys along. I totally understand the need for help and that hiring makes things exorbitantly more expensive... If I could pay $500 / year but not have to volunteer, I would do that. Maybe just make it an option. Might could also entice folks that maybe cant afford so much / year credit for hours volunteered. I dont know - I just wish there was another option.

5 hours a month? Not a problem for me. I'd do it. Although I'd insist on the newbies doing 10 instead of 5 to stay enrolled. I mean, when I was shooting trap out on the outdoor ranges in the PRNJ, Every 1.5 hours we'd call the range "cold," and go out and collect all the spent wads/shells (including un-discharged) shells, undamaged clays, etc. if there were any. Everybody that shot would be obliged to do so.

Reactions: Strbrd22
That's what happens when a shooting club turns into a social club.

A certain amount of time per month isn't a hard ask IMO, but to demend it be done within the first 30 days is a bit much. Maybe talk to the powers that be and tell them what you feel is realistic for your situation?

The small clubs I belonged to, the ones who used the ranges the most were the ones doing most of the work. I always made it a point of leaving the place better than I found it, but there was definitely an influx of a-holes who felt a certain sense of entitlement.

I think I've heard of this becoming more popular. Maybe with the influx of new shooters, using the facilities more, I don't know. And the club's costs will be going up as well, so maybe this is the way they are offsetting the costs plus the additional work.

One range I belong to, the dues are cheap ($200 first year, $85/yr after to renew, $10 per visit) and they don't require any volunteer hours. However, you can volunteer for RO duties and get free dues and fees.

There's another club I'm looking at that is more expensive (but have longer rifle ranges) and they require some number of volunteer hours but IIRC it's over the course of a year.

Reactions: Modoc and Strbrd22
I also run into the “you don’t matter because you don’t volunteer” vibe from the retirees that rule the club executive. A little bit of time I will take from something else to exchange for using a facility 10X as much as the average member, if that’s what us required. Generally the rule makers I know have cute little 5 day 40 hr work weeks, or did so 40 years ago, when they still had kids at home. The 12 hr a day 6-7 days a week with random days off that I live is completely foreign to them. When I ask about how I can organize and run the events the shooters I know care about, I can get no straightforward answers from the executive. I can’t schedule expensive days off based on nothing. I’ve decided to go with the flow for now. I will not fight the fudds. If the range survives, I will invest when the old guard times out.

1) they changed the rules after you paid?
2) only new members have to "volunteer" the 5 hours?
Get your money back. Nothing wrong with requiring unpaid help from all members (shouldn't call it "volunteer", but management is incompetent and untrustworthy.

I also run into the “you don’t matter because you don’t volunteer” vibe from the retirees that rule the club executive. A little bit of time I will take from something else to exchange for using a facility 10X as much as the average member, if that’s what us required. Generally the rule makers I know have cute little 5 day 40 hr work weeks, or did so 40 years ago, when they still had kids at home. The 12 hr a day 6-7 days a week with random days off that I live is completely foreign to them. When I ask about how I can organize and run the events the shooters I know care about, I can get no straightforward answers from the executive. I can’t schedule expensive days off based on nothing. I’ve decided to go with the flow for now. I will not fight the fudds. If the range survives, I will invest when the old guard times out.
Awesome perspective! Thanks

1) they changed the rules after you paid?
2) only new members have to "volunteer" the 5 hours?
Get your money back. Nothing wrong with requiring unpaid help from all members (shouldn't call it "volunteer", but management is incompetent and untrustworthy.
Correct. We were made aware of the new 'rule' during our INDOC but then when we were sitting in on the club mtg later that night, the new member chairman introduced the idea but it is not yet passed / written into the by laws. A part of me just wants to ignore it (but I will help out when I can / when I come to the range) but the other part of me doesnt want to get booted if they decide to play hardball. I mean I guess I could still go as my pop's plus 1 but I was trying to support the club by becoming a full time member... hmm

None of the clubs / ranges we've belonged to, or currently belong require volunteer service (large & mid size). All offered/offer a discount on annual membership for folks who volunteer so many hours a year. Which seems a nice medium ground for folks with the time, & those of us without.

All have also put out calls for extra volunteers for particular projects or events & such, thankfully with enough responses.

Small club/range? Doesn't have the same pool of folks to pull from as large/midsized ones do. Simply.

OP - I can't speak to what you should do, as I'm not you. However you do have choices. Do the 5 hours, or don't. Make waves, or don't.

Free advice though, remember that you are the new member...

Correct. We were made aware of the new 'rule' during our INDOC but then when we were sitting in on the club mtg later that night, the new member chairman introduced the idea but it is not yet passed / written into the by laws. A part of me just wants to ignore it (but I will help out when I can / when I come to the range) but the other part of me doesnt want to get booted if they decide to play hardball. I mean I guess I could still go as my pop's plus 1 but I was trying to support the club by becoming a full time member... hmm
If the executive communicates well and can organize a few weeks ahead, just block out your time from work, wife, kids, church, yard work, hobby etc and pay up early to get it over with. My executive can’t plan or communicate, so there are random short notice range work days that leaders often don’t show up to direct. Solid organization and communication cover a lot of sins.

Been a member of quite a few clubs. Some ran on volunteer labor, but gave a dues discount. Those were low dollar dues. Current range is a grand, but all labor is handled by the range master or subed out.

I still volunteer to help run events because it’s my club.

5 hours a month? Not a problem for me. I'd do it. Although I'd insist on the newbies doing 10 instead of 5 to stay enrolled. I mean, when I was shooting trap out on the outdoor ranges in the PRNJ, Every 1.5 hours we'd call the range "cold," and go out and collect all the spent wads/shells (including un-discharged) shells, undamaged clays, etc. if there were any. Everybody that shot would be obliged to do so.
He didn't say 5 hrs/month (don't know if that's what he meant, but...), what he said was 5 hrs within the FIRST month (and nothing beyond that was stipulated). If it's just 5 hrs total, and it's hard for you to do, that's just a half-day. Sacrifice one of your trips that you planned on shooting, and just knock it out and be done. If it's really hard to do, I'd go to the officers, explain your time situation but you want to be a team player, and ask if there's a way you could schedule your volunteer time so you can knock it all out in a single session. If they're reasonable, they should be able to accommodate - especially if your family have been members for 30 years.

If the executive communicates well and can organize a few weeks ahead, just block out your time from work, wife, kids, church, yard work, hobby etc and pay up early to get it over with. My executive can’t plan or communicate, so there are random short notice range work days that leaders often don’t show up to direct. Solid organization and communication cover a lot of sins.
^^He beat me to it.

He didn't say 5 hrs/month (don't know if that's what he meant, but...), what he said was 5 hrs within the FIRST month (and nothing beyond that was stipulated). If it's just 5 hrs total, and it's hard for you to do, that's just a half-day. Sacrifice one of your trips that you planned on shooting, and just knock it out and be done. If it's really hard to do, I'd go to the officers, explain your time situation but you want to be a team player, and ask if there's a way you could schedule your volunteer time so you can knock it all out in a single session. If they're reasonable, they should be able to accommodate - especially if your family have been members for 30 years.
Sage advice. Thank you

Reactions: lash
The world is run by those that show up

IMHO half the fun of belonging to a club be it gun or roping or even VFD is working alongside other members to keep it a place you want to belong to.

That being said there will always be that core group in every organization that show up to "clean the toilets".
And those that avoid work like the plague.

Be a part of that first group, it gets you in the inner circle where the best guys hang out.

At one time I was a member of a shooting range. I forgot the frequency, but you had to attend a maintenance party once a year. Seemed reasonable. The place wasn't staffed with anyone and we just got a key to go shoot whenever we wanted. So if maintenance needed we had to get it done.

Pretty sure it was either monthly or bi-monthly work parties. Take the trash out, sweep up, police brass, replace Backstop timbers, etc

That said if you don't like the rules, go somewhere else. I wouldn't feel right asking for special considerations because I'm rich and don't have time for peasant work. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sniff

Either way, I'd still do it. I don't think 5 hrs a month is too much to ask, let alone 5 hours in just the first month.

Reactions: lash and vh20
How is the club organized? Is a 501 C X or is it something else? Why the question? If the club is a 501 C 7, it’s not a gun club according to the IRS, it’s a social club, with social activities. The “gun” club I belong to is a 501 C 7, so we are a social club that happen to have a gun range. We were audited several ago and had to make changes to be in line with the 501 C 7 requirement or be shutdown. Work parties and required hours are two of the ways of creating social activities since many members don’t participate in organized shoots. If you’re a 501 C7, you’re not a gun club, but social club that happens to have a gun range according to the IRS and social activities need to take place in order to retain your 501 C 7 status.

Reactions: Defender3 and lash
How much does this range cost you?

If its like 50 or 100 a year then yea I could see volunteer work as being part of the club... If its 500-750-1000 they can pound sand. Local range to me is I think its $750 or 800 now per year with a family add on being $100 extra... I show up and shoot, clean up my trash, and GTFO. There are cameras and if you are a piece of shit you will be told not to come back and your access card will be shutoff.

A buddy of mine up in STL is a member of a pretty decent little club. Its like $50 a year or something cheap and its a really nice club. I think they require 10 hours of labor per YEAR... Now him and his dad run heavy equipment so they generally far exceed their "10 hours" but the club also pays them for their time.

i would ask the "old guys" how much labor will be expected of the general club membership, including THEM, per year... whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If they come up with 10 hours, you might suggest that a new member, in their first year needs to do 20 hours of labor with proof to be able to renew past the first year.

And I would take a HUGE EXCEPTION to being required to cook or tend bar... depending on your location those two positions could require you to be certified in various food safety programs. I think in Texas to be a bar tender you have to take an online class and pay money to the TABC. I worked in kitchens before and we generally had to go online and pass a food safety test from the state(it was free). If the restaurant/bar isnt bringing in enough funds to cover a cook and bar tender they need to re-think that aspect.

Reactions: Strbrd22 and Modoc
How much does this range cost you?

If its like 50 or 100 a year then yea I could see volunteer work as being part of the club... If its 500-750-1000 they can pound sand. Local range to me is I think its $750 or 800 now per year with a family add on being $100 extra... I show up and shoot, clean up my trash, and GTFO. There are cameras and if you are a piece of shit you will be told not to come back and your access card will be shutoff.

A buddy of mine up in STL is a member of a pretty decent little club. Its like $50 a year or something cheap and its a really nice club. I think they require 10 hours of labor per YEAR... Now him and his dad run heavy equipment so they generally far exceed their "10 hours" but the club also pays them for their time.

i would ask the "old guys" how much labor will be expected of the general club membership, including THEM, per year... whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If they come up with 10 hours, you might suggest that a new member, in their first year needs to do 20 hours of labor with proof to be able to renew past the first year.

And I would take a HUGE EXCEPTION to being required to cook or tend bar... depending on your location those two positions could require you to be certified in various food safety programs. I think in Texas to be a bar tender you have to take an online class and pay money to the TABC. I worked in kitchens before and we generally had to go online and pass a food safety test from the state(it was free). If the restaurant/bar isnt bringing in enough funds to cover a cook and bar tender they need to re-think that aspect.
Thanks for the insights! Great advice. The club is $220 / year. All valid points.

Joined a range last year. $200 per year. They ask you do 1 vol “work day” per year. Generally, that’s something like 9-noon. No bar or kitchen.

Jeezus.

Suck it up buttercup.

Be thankful you have access to such a range, many do not.
They are not asking anything unreasonable and the fact that they want you to help rather than asking more money should be counted as a good thing.
Everyone that does help gains an appreciation for the condition of the range by their own addition to the work force.....and how can that be considered a bad thing ?

Wanted to get the Hide's perspective on something to see if this is typical practice: As a little background, I recently moved back to my hometown and joined the Rod & Gun club my father has belonged to for 30 years and I have been shooting at since I was 6. The club has about 650 members, trap, skeet, 'tactical' range, 300 yd flat range, 3D archery. It is a great place to shoot. More recently, they have expanded things to include a club house with a bar and kitchen. From what I can tell, save for large events or shoots, the only people that hang out at the bar regularly are chain smoking alcoholics who don't have families or dudes trying to escape their wives haha.
Anyway, I went to the club meeting yesterday which was mandatory for new members and one of their new stipulations for new members is 5 hours of club service within the first month of membership or else you are disenrolled. This apparently is a result of having a ton of members, but nobody to volunteer to do range maintenance, score trap and skeet leagues, bartend, or cook in the kitchen. At this point in my life, with a family, I have more money than time. With that, I always police myself and do not leave any brass or garbage on the range. When did this range become a co-op? What are your thoughts? Fight it since it isn't in the bylaws yet, or provide some slave labor to a club that I pay to belong to?... Why not just raise dues and hire kitchen staff / trap scorers / lawn mowers? It seems like the average age of the club members is about 60 which I understand at a certain point you cant keep lugging around railroad ties, shovel gravel, etc...but the people that have time for club functions are retired... im in my 30s and if I get a small window of time to do a quick ladder test some afternoon , I want to be able to knock it out - not perform work party functions. What are your thoughts?
This is a common practice. It’s five whole hours, one time. Suck it up and do it. Or quit and don’t.

A few local ranges I’ve been to over the years even require 8 or 16 hours of range labor per year to maintain membership.

If you really have more money than time, ask them if you can hire someone to do your five hours for you.

This is a common practice. It’s five whole hours, one time. Suck it up and do it. Or quit and don’t.

A few local ranges I’ve been to over the years even require 8 or 16 hours of range labor per year to maintain membership.

If you really have more money than time, ask them if you can hire someone to do your five hours for you.
Or better yet, see if you can donate some funds for range/equipment improvements in lieu of doing 5 hours of work.

Iffin I felt like joining a gun club, I’d do what they had laid out?

If its a member run/maintained club....and you want to be a member....either do the work requirement or GTFO.

Just 5 hours of work to join? IME with all volunteer run clubs (vice those with professional staff), this is very little and frankly you sound like you're whining over pretty much nothing.

My local Issac Walton League (and the other IWL's in the area) club has work requirement within the first year for new members that well exceeds what this club is asking of you.

As for raising dues in order to hire professional staff for operations and maintenance....well, I would bet that most of those 650 members would tell you to take your entitled ass somewhere else.

I do belong to another club that does have professional staff to maintain clay target fields and multiple pistol/rifle ranges. Its beautifully kept...and dues are a $650/year to keep it that way! And they have 1,500 members to pay that.
The all volunteer IWL....$145/year in a very high cost area. Big difference.

How much are dues at this club you are trying to join...I suspect they are far, far less.

Sorry dude, I have zero sympathy for your position.

Last edited:
The local sporting clays range has a pro staff. Range dues are something like $150 per month, and that just gets you on the property- after paying the one time initiation fee. But, that’s just $5000. Five and three zeros, five thousand dollars.

I don’t think they require volunteer hours.

I'm a member of a shotgun club. They have reduced rates on clays and shells for people who complete X number of volunteer hours the previous year. I don't have the time so I don't volunteer.

I dont think the OP's gripe is about the 5 hours of labor, but that his family has been going there and been members for 30 years and this is new... So how did the club seem to stay in shape the previous 30 years if no volunteer time was mandatory? Its a valid question. Or "why the sudden change"...

Coincidentally they now(seems recent) have a restaurant and bar and a bunch of the old guy seemingly just hang out there and drink.

My GUESS is "those old guys" used to use their time keeping up the club as their way to "get away from their wives" now they have a bar. Sounds like the local VFW...

I dont think the OP's gripe is about the 5 hours of labor, but that his family has been going there and been members for 30 years and this is new... So how did the club seem to stay in shape the previous 30 years if no volunteer time was mandatory? Its a valid question. Or "why the sudden change"...

Coincidentally they now(seems recent) have a restaurant and bar and a bunch of the old guy seemingly just hang out there and drink.

My GUESS is "those old guys" used to use their time keeping up the club as their way to "get away from their wives" now they have a bar. Sounds like the local VFW...
So you’re saying that things should never change or improve?

A lot of the older gun clubs need to change and improve or die a slow ugly death.

I think the OP's club needs to implement some flexibility.

Here's three examples:

1) $600/year (boating season) plus two required half-week "Dock Sitter" volunteer time during the boating season. Club allows paying another club member to cover your dock-sitter responsibility (another $800). Also service credits are distributed to volunteers to pay off their membership dues and slip fees. Happy here for many years.

2) $350/year gun club (1:30 drive lots of different ranges available). No volunteering requirement. Volunteers get credit against their membership dues/fees and access to the cool kids. Safety training requirements. Many years happy here too.

3) $150/year gun club (10 minutes away, two different square ranges, 150 yds max). Two service Saturdays required, plus the attendance at the annual business meeting required. Credit given to more-active volunteers to covery dues/fees. Lasted 2 years.

The first two are happy to take your money and/or your time.
The third one requires your money and your time - only allowing members that make the club their life.
I've got more life than just the gun club and that's where my volunteer hours go. If my money isn't green enough to support your lifestyle I guess I'll keep it.

So you’re saying that things should never change or improve?

A lot of the older gun clubs need to change and improve or die a slow ugly death.

didnt say that but it seems the old guys have decided to put all the work on the new guys so they can sit around and drink beer...

I dont agree with that.

If EVERYBODY is required to do and prove 5 or 10 hours of work around the club every year thats great. Make 1st year guys double that to prove they are really interested in being part of the club otherwise, no renewal.

Was the restaurant/bar voted on by the members? again the OP should be able to answer that. If the old guys decided "fuck it were doing this" then they can carry the cost of it.

I wonder what the OP's dad, who's been a member 30 years thinks about these things...

Local club asks us to do 2 days per year of clean-up, or range set-up, OR pay $150/yr extra on top of the regular $150/yr dues. That is more than fair.

PS Having alcohol served at a shooting range? Imagine the liability and insurance issues.

Can you have a bar and serve drinks at a shooting range?
Yes, see below.
Local club asks us to do 2 days per year of clean-up, or range set-up, OR pay $150/yr extra on top of the regular $150/yr dues. That is more than fair.
Agreed

PS Having alcohol served at a shooting range? Imagine the liability and insurance issues.
Yes. First off, I think it’s been established that in some locales, these ranges have to be “social clubs” for tax status. Social Club.

Second, with the correct rules and consistent enforcement, drinking can only be done after shooting.

1724361328065.png

I think it all depends on whether you want to belong to a shooting club run for and by the members, or just belong to a range where you just pay and shoot with no expectation to help.

Pretty much every shooting club I have belonged to has the same small core of members who give their own time and efforts to run the club, set up stages, RO and score and pack up afterwards.

Then there are those 'members' who treat the club like a gym. Not interested in anyone other than themselves. Never do anything to help. Never show up for the working bees to keep the ranges and clubhouse in order.

Turn up five minutes before a match after everything's been done. Shoot and then fuck off as soon as they've shot. Never staying back to help, score, patch or pack up. Always the same people every time. Don't even know many of their names.

We would be better off without them. The financial loss of their membership fees would be offset by faster competitions on the range for the other members, with less waiting around, and less wear and tear on the range equipment etc.

We don't have commercial ranges in NZ. If you want to shoot on a range, you almost have to be a member of a club. Some clubs have visitor days, but most require membership after a couple of visits.