• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gun Clubs Today: Is this a normal practice?

Can you have a bar and serve drinks at a shooting range?
Yes, one of the ranges I belong to has a bar and also a kitchen that serves meals in the evening . Folks hang out and socialize after hitting the range or just stop in and have a drink and a meal . It brings in extra money that helps offset the costs .

I can find a lot cheaper ranges to go to that don't require all this B.S. about forcing you to go do their work for them or some kind of co-op B.S. about how many hours you have to give them of your life.

Plenty of ranges around here, and good ones, more than happy to charge a fair, lowish price and do all the work and such.

$250 a year in New York, 3 sporting clays courses, 12 skeet/ trap fields, 8 pistol bays and rifle to 200 yds. Full licensed bar and kitchen.
Full time manager and about a dozen part time employees. About 1600 members.
Members are comped $80 a day for volunteering at events.
Great club.

The local sporting clays range has a pro staff. Range dues are something like $150 per month, and that just gets you on the property- after paying the one time initiation fee. But, that’s just $5000. Five and three zeros, five thousand dollars.

I don’t think they require volunteer hours.

$5,000 gets you what, exactly? Why become a member? Is it members only? Or is it also open to the public?

There's a club local to me that's members only. $170,000 to join. Then it's another $500-600 every month. Then you still pay for any clay you shoot, you pay to use the carts, etc. After something like 30 years you get your initial $170,000 back (supposedly). But after all those monthly dues, you've already spent another $180,000 and that initial $170,000 that gets returned to you is without interest. A 30-year $170,000 interest-free loan doesn't sound like a good idea, especially since 30 years of inflation means it's worth even less. Boggles my mind why anybody would agree to that just so they can hang out and smoke cigars in a half-empty shooting club.

• Wow
Reactions: Baron23
Anyway, I went to the club meeting yesterday which was mandatory for new members and one of their new stipulations for new members is 5 hours of club service within the first month of membership or else you are disenrolled. This apparently is a result of having a ton of members, but nobody to volunteer to do range maintenance, score trap and skeet leagues, bartend, or cook in the kitchen. At this point in my life, with a family, I have more money than time.

I along with a few close friends volunteer in a variety of places (church, kids' school, Scouting), and something we see everywhere is that everyone is that people are kinda willing to write checks for modest sums of money but no one will give up their precious time. So what you get are the same few people doing everything, and then they burn themselves out in a few years and the whole organization suffers.

I support this range's policy.

Reactions: Baron23 and Modoc
We had INDOC/Safety upon joining my range. It happened to be a work day. Range officers and volunteers mowing, picking up trash and changing target boards at the 50/100/200…..I finished meeting and helped hang new plywood. A little effort goes a long way.

I sure as shit wouldn’t work kitchen or bar.

I have seen just about everything from high costs to low costs, from required forced labor to the pay more or volunteer labor, etc etc

If the gun club doesn't fit your needs or lifestyle, go somewhere else

Reactions: johnnyvw
$5,000 gets you what, exactly? Why become a member? Is it members only? Or is it also open to the public?

There's a club local to me that's members only. $170,000 to join. Then it's another $500-600 every month. Then you still pay for any clay you shoot, you pay to use the carts, etc. After something like 30 years you get your initial $170,000 back (supposedly). But after all those monthly dues, you've already spent another $180,000 and that initial $170,000 that gets returned to you is without interest. A 30-year $170,000 interest-free loan doesn't sound like a good idea, especially since 30 years of inflation means it's worth even less. Boggles my mind why anybody would agree to that just so they can hang out and smoke cigars in a half-empty shooting club.
That $5000 buys you the privilege to pay monthly dues. Yes, the club is private, but they run a metric butt ton of NSCA shoots there. A non-member could shoot there 2 weekends per month just by shooting the matches. It was the “home range” for my son’s FFA shotgun team, when he was in highschool.

That said, my 4 years as a sporting clays dad taught me that- compared to the shotgun sports- PRS shooters are professional poors.

The range I go to is volunteer help. If you work a shoot you can shoot the next one free and after working several times your membership is refunded. Hours worked on work days go towards refunding the membership fee. Routine stuff like cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning up the indoor range, taking out the trash etc... is done by anyone and everyone. It's a club and there's a little bit of treating it as you would your own home as a club member. It's open to members 24/7/365.
There's an elected president and board that takes care of the paperwork and scheduling shoots

Reactions: johnnyvw
They require five volunteer hours. Does it have to be you? $280/5=56. You stated you would pay $500 in annual dues to not have to do volunteer work, so 500-220 (your dues) = 280

280/5 hrs = 56

Could you find someone to take your place who would happily take $56/hr or less?

That way you save your limited time for what you choose to do. The range gets its volunteer hours and work done. And the person you pay, gets money he may actually really need.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Wanted to get the Hide's perspective on something to see if this is typical practice: As a little background, I recently moved back to my hometown and joined the Rod & Gun club my father has belonged to for 30 years and I have been shooting at since I was 6. The club has about 650 members, trap, skeet, 'tactical' range, 300 yd flat range, 3D archery. It is a great place to shoot. More recently, they have expanded things to include a club house with a bar and kitchen. From what I can tell, save for large events or shoots, the only people that hang out at the bar regularly are chain smoking alcoholics who don't have families or dudes trying to escape their wives haha.
Anyway, I went to the club meeting yesterday which was mandatory for new members and one of their new stipulations for new members is 5 hours of club service within the first month of membership or else you are disenrolled. This apparently is a result of having a ton of members, but nobody to volunteer to do range maintenance, score trap and skeet leagues, bartend, or cook in the kitchen. At this point in my life, with a family, I have more money than time. With that, I always police myself and do not leave any brass or garbage on the range. When did this range become a co-op? What are your thoughts? Fight it since it isn't in the bylaws yet, or provide some slave labor to a club that I pay to belong to?... Why not just raise dues and hire kitchen staff / trap scorers / lawn mowers? It seems like the average age of the club members is about 60 which I understand at a certain point you cant keep lugging around railroad ties, shovel gravel, etc...but the people that have time for club functions are retired... im in my 30s and if I get a small window of time to do a quick ladder test some afternoon , I want to be able to knock it out - not perform work party functions. What are your thoughts?
It’s pretty normal to ask but typically not mandatory. Most of the ranges I’m a member of ask for help and if you show up 2x a year they’ll give you a discount. If you don’t show up, no biggie, they just charge you a fee at renewal time.

That $5000 buys you the privilege to pay monthly dues. Yes, the club is private, but they run a metric butt ton of NSCA shoots there. A non-member could shoot there 2 weekends per month just by shooting the matches. It was the “home range” for my son’s FFA shotgun team, when he was in highschool.

That said, my 4 years as a sporting clays dad taught me that- compared to the shotgun sports- PRS shooters are professional poors.

I hope it's a nice course then. $5K initiation is steep. Is it the only club in the area? And yes... clay sports are expensive as hell. I thought my custom bolt-action was expensive, especially with the TT glass. I never thought I'd drop more than that on a firearm but here I am with a Kolar and a plane ticket to Nationals...

• Haha
Reactions: sgtsmmiii
There is between 720-744 hrs in a month, depending on the specific month. Yet, someone can't find 5, give me a fucking break. People that tell me they can't find time for this or that, are typically people I'd never even ask to do this or that, because they are full of shit.

5 hours is 300 minutes. If you spend 10 minutes on this shitter each day, you just spent 5 hours. Cut that down to 5 minutes and your halfway there.

Post made 10:16am, then monitored and last responded to at 12:48pm. I just found another 2 hours, and 32 minutes. Between the shitter and the hide, I just found your five hours. I get it........LIFE is rough!

None of the clubs / ranges we've belonged to, or currently belong require volunteer service (large & mid size). All offered/offer a discount on annual membership for folks who volunteer so many hours a year. Which seems a nice medium ground for folks with the time, & those of us without.

All have also put out calls for extra volunteers for particular projects or events & such, thankfully with enough responses.

Small club/range? Doesn't have the same pool of folks to pull from as large/midsized ones do. Simply.

OP - I can't speak to what you should do, as I'm not you. However you do have choices. Do the 5 hours, or don't. Make waves, or don't.

Free advice though, remember that you are the new member...
Thata how our club is. You can either volunteer for 10 hours per year or you can pay more. Seems like it works well so folks with more time than money can make it work and those with more money than time can make it work. It can be pretty tough to find 5 hours on a Saturday (which is really the only option for dudes that work a lot) when you have to work in Sat some too. However, when you join a new place, I think it's highly advisable to do what you are supposed to do. I mean, if it's just one time in the first month I think it could be done. You have 4 Saturdays to volunteer once for 5 hrs. I understand, I work 60+ and coach ball (which means I don't shoot much right now anyway) but I'd think long and hard before I decided to not comply with the rules that everyone else is complying with when joining a new place.

Reactions: Strbrd22
While not exactly the same. The hunting lease I am a member of has a similar rule. Each member is required to do several hours of maintenance work on tree clearing or road maintenance. You can however buy yourself out of those chores at $100 per hour of required time. I usually just buy my way out since it is several hours away.

When I belonged to one we had a "work buy out". If you couldn't make your 12 hours of work during the year you could buy out for $300. If you were over 65 you were exempt. The buy outs paid for materials and the work guys fixed stuff up. It worked out and the club needed both to keep dues low. Now I just shoot on BLM and end up doing a bunch of work keeping the place cleaned up so it doesnt get shut down to rec shooting.

Last edited:
Five hours in the first month is just a little over an hour a week. Not a big tasking in the great scheme of things.

Maybe. Maybe not. All the clubs near me are NOT near me. It's a 2-3 hour drive each way. So trekking 4-6 hours to volunteer 1 hour per week is not 1 hour per week, it's one day per week. That said... might as well just dedicate a whole day at the club and get it done at that point.

Reactions: Strbrd22
So, update on this: I showed up on Sunday with a buddy of mine (also a new member) for a work party IOT clear trees for a 50 yd extension to the range. Brought the saws and figured working on an extended range was something that made sense for me given my purpose for joining. I appreciate all the responses / guidance.

Showed up at 0800 (when we were told to at the meeting), nobody else showed up until 0900 haha. Turned out to be like 6 other old guys with saws (no other new members) and nobody in charge. I have a lot of experience sawing so I had to herd the cats and come up with a plan to not kill someone. One of the old guys, while cutting a sappling with his 24" bar, nearly severed his leg when his saw slipped, ripping his jeans on his inner thigh. Needless to say, I had seen enough. Logged my hours, and got the hell out of there. Five hours complete, never again volunteering (until things are better organized).

Five hours in the first month is just a little over an hour a week. Not a big tasking in the great scheme of things.
True when you put it like that. But it takes 30 mins to get there (1 hour round trip), I work 5-6 days a week, and have a 2 yo kid I actually like spending time with (when he is of age, I will immediatly put him to work) haha

I ran & was on the board at my local club and had the privilege to help run the club through covid. Most clubs have more politics than CNN or Fox News. 1/2 the members are old and don't want to advance the club or bring in new members. The other half are a bunch of young entitled pricks who complain about everything.

At the end of the day, most clubs are run by 2-3 individuals who dedicate a fair portion of their life to keep the club functioning. It's pretty hard to run a not for profit organization and have a some of board members or volunteers, not treat the club like their personal playground.

I tend to look at volunteering my time as a way to build relationships with other like minded people. The problem is, your need to set realistic goals, and realize most other members wouldn't be in your social group, outside of the club.

Last edited:
So, update on this: I showed up on Sunday with a buddy of mine (also a new member) for a work party IOT clear trees for a 50 yd extension to the range. Brought the saws and figured working on an extended range was something that made sense for me given my purpose for joining. I appreciate all the responses / guidance.

Showed up at 0800 (when we were told to at the meeting), nobody else showed up until 0900 haha. Turned out to be like 6 other old guys with saws (no other new members) and nobody in charge. I have a lot of experience sawing so I had to herd the cats and come up with a plan to not kill someone. One of the old guys, while cutting a sappling with his 24" bar, nearly severed his leg when his saw slipped, ripping his jeans on his inner thigh. Needless to say, I had seen enough. Logged my hours, and got the hell out of there. Five hours complete, never again volunteering (until things are better organized).
I don't know if I have a stick stick up my ass but you sound like a real puss

I run the Quantico Shooting Club, lots of good advice in the thread and similar situations as our club. We got rid of the mandatory work hours and the higher dues payment (a $50 deposit) trying to force volunteering. We just didn't have the means (or money) to track either to success. The local IWL I belong to also has a volunteer requirement and plenty of work parties. The QSC is on a military base, so some of the infrastructure, grounds and facilities issues are attended to, but 5hrs in the first month is nothing considering the must pays most clubs have just to open the doors, let alone to operate.