• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Gun Grease

Diesel700

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
Arnaudville, Louisiana
I am not sure if this is a good place to put this but, here goes. I remember when I first got my H&K USP compact .40 and .45 They both had grease for lubrication. I have been using different oils in them. I carry concealed every day. The oils seem to dissipate towards the end of the day. I was wondering if anyone knew what grease came in the or a better grease to use. I know the grease will make more lint and dirt cling to the gun and more frequent cleanings will be needed but I clean them every few days any way. Thanks!

Re: Gun Grease

I prefer Mobil 1 synthetic multipurpose grease when I use grease. Don't use but a BB sized spot at a time.

Glocks come with an antisieze for a lube. It's identical to the C5A compound that LocTite sells now. It was originally made by Fel-Pro. Evidently they sold out or were bought. Here again, use very sparingly. You'll know if you use too much. You'll have the copper looking stuff all over you. I apply it with the wide end of a toothpick.

Anti seize is not a lubricant, it's an anti galling compound. Loctites is suspended in
grease but it's not something I would run in a gun that is shot a lot. For a carry
weapon it's probably a very good choice as it will stay put forever. I use tetra grease up here as it seems unaffected by the cold. I am a firm believer in grease not oil in
semi slides and bolts.

Mikhail Kalashnikov said on TV that he was proud that his AK47 rifle would work with a handful of sand thrown into the action.

I "fluff and buff" a semi auto hand gun for carry until it is clearanced.
I don't use any lubrication. I run them dry. I am not worried about wearing out a concealed carry gun.

Riding in a mini van with in laws, a kid spilled a can of soda on me that got into the concealed pistol.
Dried sugar water is a bigger challenge than fuzz balls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anti seize is not a lubricant, it's an anti galling compound. Loctites is suspended in
grease but it's not something I would run in a gun that is shot a lot. For a carry
weapon it's probably a very good choice as it will stay put forever. ... </div></div>

+1... I agree It's the only thing I use in the Glock I carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">XF-7. Developed for the military by MD Labs and available through Brownells. </div></div>

Mobil 1 multipurpose is available at most auto supply houses and 1 tube will last many years. I carry it in a 35mm film tube with a small tongue depressor. Well... Actually it's a shortened Pop-Cicle stick.

Diesel- I have tried a lot of what the other guys have suggested in this thread, but I can say hands down, the best stuff(My opinion) is SLIDE GLIDE. I got it from Brian Enos' website. No hype, it does everything they say. I even use it on my sporting clays shotguns(Browning 525, Beretta Onyx and Krieghoff K-80). After almost 15,000 open/close cycles on the "K", there is NO noticeable wear on parts. I have been using the "light" consistancy. When you put some between your fingers then pull them slowly apart, you see what appears to be "snot strings" between them. Whatever they put in that @#$%, it just stays right where you put it. Tell you what i'll do, I have a tube that's still got a couple handguns worth in it. If you PM me your info, i'll give it to you to try. No strings and on my dime. You'll never go back to what you were using.

i recently gave Wilsons ultimalube I think its called at try. Like everyone says just a tiny bit goes a long way and really seems to stay in place well. I have no long term test with it, but so far so good. I even tried a drop the other day on a bolt gun.

I really like the slide glide also. Use it on the lugs on my bolt guns and the slides on the 1911s. One caveat though. At -20 the slide on my pick-up 1911 moves like cold molasses. I think I'd better make the first shot count as I doubt there would be a follow up. I went to a dry lube til the weather moderates.

Diesel- got the P.M. bud...you're gunna be reall busy for a while
wink.gif
After you get a chance to run the stuff for a while, chime back in and tell us what YOU think. Best wishes, and sleep every chance you get! Duke.

Well, Momma and the New baby are home and doing great. Barrett was born on 01/03/10. He was 6 weeks early. 12 days in the NICU. As for the SLIDE Glide. I can truly say Thanks to dukedurham. He sent the left over tube and all I can say is WOW!. This stuff has made me a believer. I work offshore. 7 days out and 7 days home. I carry concealed every day. I shoot at least 3 day a week that I am home. I ran a test just to see the longevity of the slide glide. I typically clean my H&K after every visit to the range. I decided not too, and to see how well this stuff holds up. I have shot almost all week passing 300 plus rounds 2 of those days, and at least 500 overall. The slide glide is still present and going strong. There is a good bit of lint and extra goodies in there but with all things considered. It is not that big of a deal. I have used just about all the oils out there. And I can say I do not like the oils. I love the SLIDE GLIDE. Thanks DUKE!!!!