• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing gunsmiths of color

koginam

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2007
I was aksed a question today by a young man looking to start into the gunsmith trade, he wanted to know "if there were any gunsmiths of color" the following was my reply "As to gunsmiths of color in over thirty years as a gunsmith and having contact with hundreds of smiths throughout the world I have never asked what color they are. I assume there are some but I really can't tell you its not something that comes up in our conversations. I don't believe it would make much difference one way or another a gunsmiths success is based on his workmanship and reputation. In today's world with computers customers look at a smiths web site, check out forums to learn about a smiths work, many times we received guns from all over the country and never meet the customers." Have any of you had work done by a gunsmith of color?

Re: gunsmiths of color

Color has nothing to do with a gunsmith's ability or quality work. I've handled the work of gunsmiths on six continents.

Stanton L. Wormley is perhaps the best known American and one of the best writers in the business.

Hard work, determination and attention to detail are what it takes to succeed in any business. Being a shooter and having a detailed understanding of what makes a gun tick or what it takes to squeeze every last bit of accuracy out of a rifle is a huge plus if one plans to be a gunsmith and build rifles. “Color” isn’t a determining factor for quality. I can’t say I've ever met a "Gunsmith of color" if a black gunsmith is what you are asking about. Like you, I've never asked what color they were when I spoke to them. I'm white BTW not that it means anything.

am i understanding this correctly, is he a person of color and wanting to know if he would be accepted as a gunsmith? if so, like mentioned above, he needs to realize that it is not 1960 anymore. the people that worry about how their skin color will affect them are just as bad as than the bigots out there as far as keeping racism alive. if he does solid work and has pride in what he does, it should not make one bit of difference what color his skin is. when selecting a gunsmith, the color of his skin would not even pop into my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...if he does solid work and has pride in what he does, it should not make one bit of difference what color his skin is. When selecting a gunsmith, the color of his skin would not even pop into my mind. </div></div>

What he said.

I don't care if he's green with purple polka dots and green hair, if he builds guns that shoot he's got my business.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's 2010 not 1960, why would the question even come? </div></div>

This was my 1st thought...

There are several well known Japanese smiths in the LA area.

Not that it matters or anything, just answering the question
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koginam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was aksed a question today by a young man looking to start into the gunsmith trade, he wanted to know "if there were any gunsmiths of color" the following was my reply "As to gunsmiths of color in over thirty years as a gunsmith and having contact with hundreds of smiths throughout the world I have never asked what color they are. I assume there are some but I really can't tell you its not something that comes up in our conversations. I don't believe it would make much difference one way or another a gunsmiths success is based on his workmanship and reputation. In today's world with computers customers look at a smiths web site, check out forums to learn about a smiths work, many times we received guns from all over the country and never meet the customers." Have any of you had work done by a gunsmith of color?
</div></div>

I think Roscoe is a bit of a Red Neck, does that count?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly... The head of the 2112 shop in Quantico is "colored" </div></div>

What color is that ?
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marines are all green. </div></div>

With envy for the Navy
wink.gif

JK but........flame suit on anyway

I think my gunsmith is a person of color...his name is Alan BROWN!!
smile.gif

And my local smith is Bob WHITE!!
smile.gif

Also, I believe Frank GREEN had a hand in making some of my barrels!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Roscoe, im gonna have to disagree with you. We are the Mens Dept of the Navy. Only sailors could come up with "It ain't gay if you're under way"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Yea, I was tip toeing with that statement. I know a guy that was an old school Marine from back in the day, Vietnam. I've seen all his scrap books and the photos in them. I think he was even an instructor at one point, B. King is his name. Mention the Navy and he's non stop for an hour or so. I even know why Sailors have their name on the back of their collar, thanks to Bill
shocked.gif

I surrender........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe is a redneck?
I feel mislead </div></div>

Dont hate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I remember correctly... The head of the 2112 shop in Quantico is "colored"</div></div>

Not Currently, MGSGT Dave Clark is in charge and he is not of color.

Dwight Briggs has Worked for IBA for years and is a Great Smith but his color has nothing to do with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think my gunsmith is a person of color...his name is Alan BROWN!!
smile.gif

And my local smith is Bob WHITE!!
smile.gif

Also, I believe Frank GREEN had a hand in making some of my barrels!!
</div></div>

Thats Funny

Sorry, but I couldn't resist:
I shoot a lot of shotgun and some long range rifle. I met a gal at the range today that needed some help. She said "I either shoot really well or I suck". I told her it was because when she shows up to shoot once in a blue moon, she doesn't have to contend with her 'shadow of doubt'. When she shoots regularly, only her skill can defeat her shadow of doubt. That sort of applies to most things gun...relax and let the skill work to succeed. That said, there are 2112 armors of color and I believe there are 2112/RTE armors of color. Their skill overrides their shadow of doubt...perhaps your buddy is questioning his skill more than the acceptance of his color? In any case, it's already been said that all Marines Are Green and if it shoots right...who cares!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koginam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was aksed a question today by a young man looking to start into the gunsmith trade, he wanted to know "if there were any gunsmiths of color"</div></div>Why does it matter?

It doesn't.It is a race baiting question.

No different than Irish American,Italian American,German America and African American. How about. Gunsmith and American.

Who the fuck cares. My money is GREEN. That lathe doesn't give a shit who is turning the dials. Nothing will EVER change. Mark my words.Bullshit absolute bullshit.

Last time I checked I have color.In fact a bit pale after reading the OP.

I'm waiting for GAP to finish my AI 338 barrel- I suspect it will be STAINLESS STEEL COLOR when I take it out of the box.

<span style="font-style: italic"> There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
</span>
Theodore Roosevelt, 1915

I saw this thread title and thought it was about gunsmith who might specialize in different color finishes for barrels and actions. This is really disappointing.

I just want you to know the thread wasn't meant to cause any uproar it is just as the original posting put it, a question about gunsmiths of color. I didn't mean it to become a big deal, I was just looking to see if anyone on the board had known of any. I don't think the young man that asked me the question in the beginning had any other intent or objective then asking a simple question. I wounder if the response would have been the same if the post would have been about women gunsmiths. Not many of the posters seem to understand the question they seemed to feel it was about something else. I feel a little sorry for those that took the posting to a negative place. Sometimes something is as simple as it appears.
I wonder what the young man will think of us when he reads the posts here. I gave him a link when I first posted so he could see for himself if there were any colored smiths. My hope if he does is he will see there was no negative thought concerning a gunsmith of color.

Jered (APA) would have to chime in and tell me what color he is for me to know if my rifle was built by a gunsmith of color.

WTF???????? Is this thread for real?

I'm only a hobby gunsmith (I don't even like to say that) I'm a gun tinkerer.
Well 2 weeks ago I walked into the machine shop,a white gunsmith. Started running the lathe which is next to the dust collector and it blew a bag off. I walked out of the shop a black gunsmith. Does that count?? (It took 2 days to clean off the lathe as well)

i have to agree with teddy. when the census comes why should i have to check anything but american? my mom and dad were born here. my grandparents were born here. great-grandparents were from mexico. i dont speak spanish (thats a shame) and i have never been to mexico unless it was as a child. where the hell is hispania anyway?

but when i went to the local 4x4 clubs meeting, i was like a fly in the buttermilk. lol, it was funny. i would look around and catch people looking at me, but they would turn away as i met their gaze. old habits die hard. when was the last time you were the only white guy somewhere?

its not that he asked the question thats a big deal, but that in this day and age he still felt he had to ask it. just like ill never know what combat is like, some will never know what its like to be a different color. its hard to judge a man til you have walked a mile in his shoes. and it would be great if people were only judged by their actions, work and ethics. someone wrote a speech about that a while back didnt they?

Plus one on this responce...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw this thread title and thought it was about gunsmith who might specialize in different color finishes for barrels and actions. This is really disappointing. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koginam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just want you to know the thread wasn't meant to cause any uproar it is just as the original posting put it, a question about gunsmiths of color. I didn't mean it to become a big deal, I was just looking to see if anyone on the board had known of any. I don't think the young man that asked me the question in the beginning had any other intent or objective then asking a simple question. I wounder if the response would have been the same if the post would have been about women gunsmiths. Not many of the posters seem to understand the question they seemed to feel it was about something else. I feel a little sorry for those that took the posting to a negative place. Sometimes something is as simple as it appears.
I wonder what the young man will think of us when he reads the posts here. I gave him a link when I first posted so he could see for himself if there were any colored smiths. My hope if he does is he will see there was no negative thought concerning a gunsmith of color. </div></div>

is he going to be discouraged if there are only a few out of many gunsmiths that are "of color"? your woman analogy would have a similar answer to my first reply in this thread. either you can do the work or you can't and that has nothing to do what color or sex you are. if you are more worried about being one of the few "people of color" or women in a particular trade than you are the quality of your work, then maybe that trade isn't for you.

when ever a person brings skin color into an irrelevant conversation, it is very likely to change to a negative tone. i'll say it again, gunsmithing has nothing to do with your skin color or sex. it has everything to do with having pride in what you do, not settling for less than quality work and having good customer service skills.

One more time. This is a simple question it isn't about rather a white or black gunsmith can do the work we all agree that its the workmanship of the gunsmith that counts.
I am just asking if any one knows of a gunsmith of color.
there is no hidden agenda. it should only take a few words like yes so and so out of, that's not hard to do. Don't over think this thread or be upset by it, its a simple question with a simple answer which only needs an answer if you know of one or more. I know this post is going to upset some of you deep thinkers but I typed slow so you could take your time to read and understand it.

You're not going to get a plain answer like you want because some of the membership is apparently incapable of distinguishing trolling from legitimate questions. If you are the wiser, then you can surmise what you want to know from the overdone answers and let it go. I'm honestly not sure why you actually give a shit, but that's your perspective to deal with as you see fit.

YES- there are non-white smiths out there. There are also women gunsmiths. To try to recommend you one or single someone out would be ludicrous for two reasons:

1) Because there are so many small outfits out there in this country.
2) Because people often do not deal face-to-face with smiths, instead sending things in by mail or parcel service.

You can spend five minutes on this board and come up with well over a dozen places that can build you what you want. I know that doesn't satisfy your need to continue to push people's buttons, but I fear it's the closest you will get without inciting a riot. You should know better, you've undoubtedly seen how people react to inflamitory topics around here... you can't go 3 pages without seeing it.

If you really give a shit, then put in your own work. Hit the webpage of every gunsmith you can find and see if their "about" section has a picture of them, or maybe there is a shot of them in their gallery holding or working on one of their custom made rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Dwight Briggs has Worked for IBA for years and is a Great Smith but his color has nothing to do with that.

</div></div>

I met Dwight back in 2000 when IBA built my 30-06. Nice guy, and did a heck of a job on mine.

.....what color is color?

Only people looking for an excuse in life focus on such stuff and seldom take responsibility for their own actions.

So often I hear comments like this..."the reason I am in the shape I'm in is because "<span style="font-style: italic">they</span>" don't like people of color"...."the Man is holding me down"...I had to do crime because "they won't pay me what I'm worth".

What a joke this kind of thing is. I've known and worked with many people different than I and everyone that I liked and respected could stand on their own merits. The others didn't or wouldn't no matter what their color.