Gunsmithing Hammer Forged Barrels: Good or Bad?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Re: Hammer Forged Barrels: Good or Bad?

Only rifle I've had experience with that had a hammer forged barrel was a Steyr SSG69.

Its cold bore shot was righteous. Its follow up shots would veer all over the place. It would maintain ~1moa or so. However, if you took an hour to fire a shot group, it could single-hole at 200 yards.

Not saying this is typical or atypical, just my experience with ONE rifle with a hammer forged barrel.

That said, I too am amazed such a grueling, traumatic and stressfull process could ever create a consistent barrel...but I recognize Remmys have them - but I also believe they undergo a stress relieving process as well....so....

In general though, the material properties created via hammer forging parts is excellent.

Hammer forged is only as good, or bad, as the person doing it. TRG barrels are hammer forged; and they shoot great. Hammer forging has the reputation of creating a longer lasting barrel than button or cut rifling, but I'm not sure any true tests exist to verify this is the case.

All in all, I wouldn't let hammer forging make or break a decision. It's another way to build a barrel, and obviously it's used by some of the largest mfgr's in the business.

It depends on what characteristics you call good. If you are looking for a durable barrel for a non precision application then they are great. The forging process work hardens the rifling and barrel. However, if you're looking for total accuracy then you are probably better off with a quality cut rifled barrel.

That being said I know I have seen a couple factory barrels that shot pretty darn well.

Early attempts were problematic. Winchester had a hard time getting the process worked out. Sensitive to the steel used, etc. Some of the early barrels would strip out a length of rifling mid-bore. The Germans "perfected" the process first. Most of the big factory rifle manufacturers use it. I understand, however, that Savage uses button rifling; which may be why they have a decent reputation as a factory production. The hammer forged barrel is still not consistently as accurate as a good cut rifled, hand-lapped barrel in my opinion. Button rifling can be just as good depending the care and control taken in the production.

I seem to remember either talking to Boots or reading an article by him many years ago where he had examined cut, button and hammer forged rifling with a video borescope. This was to compare longevity if I remember right (and I don't do that real well anymore).

He observed quite a bit of spalding with both the button and HF methods which I think lead to more fouling and subsequent accuracy degradation. This would make sense as the two methods kind of smear the rifling to form it. I think he said the HF was the worst.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBeyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None of the aftermarket barrel makers use hammerforging that I know of. I could be mistaken, as I was when I got married. Just about all of the match winners equipment lists are either cut or button rifled. </div></div>

As expensive as the machinery is to cut rifle a barrel, going the HF is FAR more expensive. You better be selling LOTS of barrels to recoup the tooling cost.

What I'm getting at, is most of the barrel shops are little outfits, manufacturing a niche product. I don't believe Bartlein/Rock/etc/etc could afford to even think of putting a cold hammer into service.

Cegoach: Great sig! Did you see the Senna movie that just came out? If not, you should do so immediately. It was excellent.

My FNAR has a Cold HF barrel and and shoots 1/2 MOA with 175 SMK all day. For a gas gun that is pretty much as good as it gets. Speaking to FN, they say they have tested to 10K rounds and maintains 1MOA accuracy. So i think it all depends on the outfit. As stated above you cant compare the amount of money/funds a company such as FN can put in tooling for making CHF barrel vs a small outfit such as Bartlein or Rock.

The best MGs in the world use HF barrels...FN.

Colt Canada uses HF barrels due to cold weather performance.

HF seems to work for hard use applications.