• New Dangerous Freedom Tee - Out Now!

Available for a limited time. Grab yours now!

Shop now
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

Has anyone on here shaped a stock out of one of the Boyd’s stock blanks? Or reshaped the but end of the CZ MTR stock?

TheBlackSmith

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2021
Oregon
I read the article about the guy on here making a stock from scratch and it got me thinking 🤔

Not yet but I wouldn't hesitate too much if I needed to reshape it to my needs. I'm looking at reshaping a GRS Berserk stock to ride a bag better right now just waiting for the bag setup to arrive so I can fit it together.

Not yet but I wouldn't hesitate too much if I needed to reshape it to my needs. I'm looking at reshaping a GRS Berserk stock to ride a bag better right now just waiting for the bag setup to arrive so I can fit it together.
I like that stock. I was thinking more along the lines of creating one from a blank or reshaping the MTR to look more like the bottom on your GRS Berserk.

Check out @buffalowinter s posts in Vintage.

There was another guy here, too, who did an amazing stock out of laminated woodZ. I think in rim fire. But it may have been back in Scout days, so is lost.

There are some here who have done it for sure. With beautiful results. Try posting this in the Metalworking and woodworking for guns thread, too. In the bear pit. You will probably get (and see) some cool projects.

Sirhr

I like that stock. I was thinking more along the lines of creating one from a blank or reshaping the MTR to look more like the bottom on your GRS Berserk.
I like the Berserk as well, my point was that if you have a stock that isn't doing exactly what you want, "fix it till it does". I would encourage you to give it a go. Pick up some surform rasps to shape with and see how it comes out.

I was thinking about building a new stock from scratch but for the $67 dollar quoted above I'm going to look into starting from that point if the blanks are even close to what I need.

Check out @buffalowinter s posts in Vintage.

There was another guy here, too, who did an amazing stock out of laminated woodZ. I think in rim fire. But it may have been back in Scout days, so is lost.

There are some here who have done it for sure. With beautiful results. Try posting this in the Metalworking and woodworking for guns thread, too. In the bear pit. You will probably get (and see) some cool projects.

Sirhr
Is there instructions on here on how to move a post or do I just delete this one a create another one?

Is there instructions on here on how to move a post or do I just delete this one a create another one?
No reason to move the post...

But if you go into the thread Woodwork and Metalwork for guns... someone there can help for sure. Just start with a new post or question in this thread below.

Cheers,

Sirhr

No reason to move the post...

But if you go into the thread Woodwork and Metalwork for guns... someone there can help for sure. Just start with a new post or question in this thread below.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Thanks

I read the article about the guy on here making a stock from scratch and it got me thinking 🤔
Had both the forearm and buttstock of my MTR reshaped - see https://doantrevor.com/2019/10/24/r...-target-rifle-stock-into-a-f-class-ara-stock/

I'm glad to see you are trying this out...because by doing so, you have virtually guaranteed that a few days after you spend 100+ hours hand carving your custom stock for your BMR, Boyd's will come out with a Pro Varmint stock for the BMR that will cost $200.

I'm glad to see you are trying this out...because by doing so, you have virtually guaranteed that a few days after you spend 100+ hours hand carving your custom stock for your BMR, Boyd's will come out with a Pro Varmint stock for the BMR that will cost $200.
That would be my luck, but it's more about learning how to do it. I'm going to order the stock without the inletting after the first of the year and use the blanks for another project if it ends up being doable.