• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tac ? plus some pics added now

Re: Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tac ?

I've bought 6-20x42 as a temporary scope until new IORs come or i find a good deal on S&B/Hensoldt however now after few months of use i think i will keep it as it works and gives me all i need in a scope. Maybe when/if it goes bust i'll purchase one of the big boys but so far i can't justify it especially considering i can get several weapons i'd like (Colt anaconda being one of them) for the price difference. But mind you this scope aint spectacular or anything fancy, glass is mediocre however on the plus side it works/tracks/mil is mil/20moa up is 20moa up and it's cheap. You won't see mosquito balls with it but then again why would you need to...

They have come A LONG WAY from their first offerings. I am trying hard the put the pennies together to purchase a 4.5-14 Tactical as I type this. At this point, the only other scope I would consider is if SWFA comes out with a variable scope to 14x or 16x in the Super Sniper series.

From all accounts and reviews (personal and others), the new Hawke Tacticals are good to go. It isn't a Nightforce mind you, but it don't carry the price tag either!!

DK

After I wrote a negative review on the original Sidewinder 30, Hawke guys did not talk to me for a little bit. I thought they were just pissed, but it turned out they went ahead and reworked the optical system quite thoroughly.

They sent me a 4.5-14x42 model for review and I spent some time beating it up, including a short stint on my 338LM. It held up with out any fuss and still keep on ticking.

Here is the review link:
Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical 4.5-14x42 Review

ILya

Hey Ilya ya i saw your older report about the sidewinder and thanks for the new one
laugh.gif
i guess i will try one to see how it goes. if its no good for me im gonna get me a IOR
laugh.gif
thanks for the input guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i guess i will try one to see how it goes... </div></div>

Get back with a report, some pics of the setup, and some blasted targets!! Please??

DK

well i got one of these scope and here is what i got.............

ok here are some pics for people that are interested in the Hawke scope.

these pics are almost in the sun pics in the evening. I have a pic of over all view. and remember this is through a camera.

IMG_1582.jpg

they go in order from 4.5x to 14x
and i have a range finder pic for distance

4.5X
45.jpg

5x
5.jpg

6X
6.jpg

7X
7.jpg

8X
8.jpg

9X
9.jpg

10X
10.jpg

12X
12.jpg

14X
IMG_1570.jpg

then the last set are the best i can get for night shots. this is about 180 yards away and i cant remember what zoom i was at.

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

and i almost forgot the range finder pic

IMG_1556.jpg

I spent some time beating up the scope that I reviewed, and it was largely unperturbed. Naturally, only time will tell how well these scope hold up.

I badgered the guys at Hawke into telling me some numbers on how many of the scopes in the field had problems of any sort and, so far, the number of problems is astonishingly low. Low enough to surprise the heck out of me.

I try to keep tabs on the track record of any scope I recommend, so I routinely check to see if people are having problems with these. So far so good.

The reticle is indeed very easy to range with. and it obscures very little of the target.

ILya

I did some field testing today. i will post what ever pics i can of the setup and of the targets i shot today asap i just got back from the range and putting thing back and in order
laugh.gif

well I looked at the range pics and I cant remember how I shot what and what order. next time I will take a camera with me and even record video besides just pics.

but I did take some quick pics of the two rifles that i have the scopes on.

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

I just mounted the same scope on my gun I will try to have pics up tomorrow and also a range target. I bought this scope on opticsbestbuy.com for $399 and they shipped for free. mounted it on egw 20moa with burris tactial rings it will shoot 1/2 moa with factory ammo

This is without a doubt the scope that I will be sporting on my Savage 10PC when I get it finally put together!! I love the fact that is has that kind of adjustability and at the price range it is sitting. I am PUMPED!!

It looks to be a perfect companion to the 700 Tactical as well!! Very nice setup indeed!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try to keep tabs on the track record of any scope I recommend, so I routinely check to see if people are having problems with these. So far so good.

ILya </div></div>

A

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try to keep tabs on the track record of any scope I recommend, so I routinely check to see if people are having problems with these. So far so good.

ILya </div></div>

I for 1, do greatly appreciate your valued input on glass as well!! Thanks!!

DK

I was just thinking of going out either Friday or Saturday and doin a box test the right way
laugh.gif

From what I was able to do last time I took out the rifles it seemed real good at going back on zero. I did not read much about box testing so I came back home and read some stuff on box testing and now I ready to do it right
laugh.gif

will report as soon as I get it done
laugh.gif

Anyone else can freely add there box tests here.

I just tested one Wed. and then again today, without doing the box, it tracks well, and for the price is a good choice. time will tell how it holds up, but for now I would reccomend Hawke for several applications. On this 20" RRA's NM barreled AR it works very well, 5 shots off bipod not taking allot of time, with RRA's 2 stage, this is definetly capable of sub MOA with a better trigger and taking some time.
AAC M4 2000 was not attached, with the can on it impacts dead nuts windage, 1.25" low,@100, got lucky on this combo.
P1000652.jpg

P1000651.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you crank the elevation from end to end and see how much adjustment it has? </div></div>

Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical
4.5-14x42
Weight, oz 27.3
Main Tube Diameter 30mm
Eye Relief, in 4 3.8
FOV, ft@100yards 22.6
Click Value 1/4 MOA
Adjustment range 85MOA <--------------
Parallax Asjustment SF
Country of Origin China
Price $390

The information is from ILya's review on the Hawke Tactical

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STLTAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P1000652.jpg
</div></div>

Very clean setup!! That scope fits the bill nicely!! I am patiently waiting for mine!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STLTAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just tested one Wed. and then again today, without doing the box, it tracks well, and for the price is a good choice. time will tell how it holds up, but for now I would reccomend Hawke for several applications. On this 20" RRA's NM barreled AR it works very well, 5 shots off bipod not taking allot of time, with RRA's 2 stage, this is definetly capable of sub MOA with a better trigger and taking some time.
AAC M4 2000 was not attached, with the can on it impacts dead nuts windage, 1.25" low,@100, got lucky on this combo.
P1000652.jpg

P1000651.jpg
</div></div>

I like
laugh.gif
real nice setup there!

I noticed the bipod is backwards how does it work ? i seen a few more people do the same before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to revive this thread, but would you recommend this scope? My main worry is tracking... How well does it track? And could you test and see how much adjustment it has?

http://swfa.com/Hawke-45-14x42-Sidewinder-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P44553.aspx

Thanks

Shay </div></div>

Well Shay i was able to get out today and shot up some reloads but also did a beginner box test i just read a few ways to do it and here was the outcome
laugh.gif

What I did was dial 7 MOA down and 7 MOA to the right then shot one shot. Next I dialed up 14 MOA and shot a shot, then dialed to the left 14 MOA and shot another shot, then dialed down 14 MOA and shot another, then dialed 14 to the right and shot anoter shot. I started at the center with two shots and finished at the center with two shots. I was using cheap federal 150 gr SP ammo from walmart for this.

boxtest.jpg

here is some other pics

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg