• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Heavy Barrel Contours

eboggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Ohio, USA
Hey guys

Im planning on getting a barrel from SSS soon.. I want a heavy.."Big" diameter/ contour barrel, but..IDK when that turns into "Overkill" and "Stupid" looking.

Anyone have a pic. of their stick with a heavy barrel?

(bigger than a stock savage barrel)

Thanks,

Ethan

Re: Heavy Barrel Contours

IMHO, when it gets bigger than the Savage Varmint contour, it just may be bordering on those words you mentioned. Yes, it's more accurate, and even Savage offers straight contours on their top accuracy models, but it's a real PITA when dealing with the consequences on barrel channels. There's just too few of them around to make it attractive to stock manufactureres to cater to this option. This, and this are a pair of examples of the Savage factory Mojo-barreled offerings.

Greg

i have a theory.

Keep in mind, this is mine and mine all alone with no real facts as of this point.

I feel that the 0 Contour barrels, and from a MTU to the #8 are old standbys because of the quality of barrels 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago.

I feel if you by a match grade barrel from a company with new barrel equipment, you can go thinner than a #7 and keep the quality and accuracy at the same levels as the heaver contours.

Keep in mind, I would not go to a pencil thin barrel do to heat and all that. But a Rem Varmint contour / light Palma is the thinnest I would go for a field gun.

Take it for what its worth.

John

Maybe its just an optical illusion on my part.

im waiting on a MCM. A4 and the stock barrel just seems pretty narrow compared to some ive seen here, just didnt want to get the same contour Dia. its roughly 3/4"

Maybe thats the norm?

This is "big". But it's a pain in the ass to pack around:

97319u.jpg

I left it big because I didn't want to spend the money to turn in down. I have two other rifles that shoot just as accurately at about 1/2" dia. smaller

Remington varmint contours finish out at .850" at the muzzle give or take. I went with a medium palma contour on my latest build it finishes at .750" at the muzzle and has 8 flutes. I think this is the perfect barrel between accuracy, balance, and weight. I think heavy barrels have better launch dynamics and harmonics, but unless your shooting from a bench it might not be enough to matter.

The trend today is to go lighter and shorter. More and more are being built with nothing heavier then the Remington varmint contour barrel with no loss in accuracy over the truck axels or barrels such as the MTU or AMU barrels.

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

This barrel is 1.400" dia from action to muzzle with custom stock. Obermeyer barrel as well. This was L.F. Moore's personal rifle he built as a 30.06 test bed. He also made the stock for it. It is set up to shoot conventional prone with adjustable forearm stop.

He got sick before he could shoot it and I have not gotten around to shooting it yet.

1903 Remington Action with 1903A4 bolt. It is a real hoss. I am torn between shooting it and selling it. It has the military trigger that was worked. When the slack comes out there is only about a pound for the second stage.
Larry Moore made Springfield stocks at Springfield Armory in 1930s, went off to the war with 10th Mountain and was in Ordnance Corps. Came back and was sent to Aberdeen PG as Test Director. He is a legend in the long range game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a theory.

Keep in mind, this is mine and mine all alone with no real facts as of this point.

I feel that the 0 Contour barrels, and from a MTU to the #8 are old standbys because of the quality of barrels 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago.

I feel if you by a match grade barrel from a company with new barrel equipment, you can go thinner than a #7 and keep the quality and accuracy at the same levels as the heaver contours.

Keep in mind, I would not go to a pencil thin barrel do to heat and all that. But a Rem Varmint contour / light Palma is the thinnest I would go for a field gun.

Take it for what its worth.

John </div></div>

I concour. I used to be a thick barrel guy, until I bought a Gap built .243 with a flutted med Palma barrel. I was skeptical about it, but the rifle shot phenominal... Now, I'm convinced that the heavy contour isn't necassary. Never thought about Johns point on it, but it makes sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eboggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys

Im planning on getting a barrel from SSS soon.. I want a heavy.."Big" diameter/ contour barrel, but..IDK when that turns into "Overkill" and "Stupid" looking.

Anyone have a pic. of their stick with a heavy barrel?

(bigger than a stock savage barrel)

Thanks,

Ethan </div></div>

Just remember to factor in balance as part of the package. Regardless of use, I don't like balance to be further forward than the recoil lug. Combining a long and heavy barrel with a light to medium weight stock is going to feel terrible for anything other than a bench gun. Lead weights, heavy fiberglass, and dense laminates can help balance a heavier tube. The rifle pictured below is a copy of Krieger's Heavy Palma, which shares a similar shape with Remington's factory varmint contour. It is simply a heavier version. This one measures about .950" at the 21" muzzle and balances on the lug with the laminate stock. I can't see doing a contour any heavier unless it was a big rifle in a 338cal.

100_0812.jpg

Back when it was a 23" barrel. Factory Remington VS contour on other rifle.

100_0212.jpg

I like the Stealth II profile. I have one (posted down a ways but the pic didn't want to work that night) too and for packing it's light. And the stock helps take a lot of recoil out with it's build and nice padded butstock.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1247965

Here's another of a Shilen heavy sporter in .257 Rob. the contour is heavy sporter/l. varmint can't say what number. The barrel is .835 at the end and that tapers up to 1.200 about 3" forward of the action. Not heavy to pack and very, very accurate with 115 VLD's.

6f5eut.jpg