• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help a newb pick out a mid range rifle.

NCPlinker

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2011
NC
First post here, go easy on me... been shooting shotgun and rimfire actively for about 10 years, finally interested in adding some center fire rifle shooting into the mix.

Im interested in a rifle primarily for target shooting, but also something i can do some deer hunting with. My budget is around 800-1200 for the rifle. 1200 is my current upper limit, I'm willing to stretch it some if the extra money will put me in a significantly higher quality range. I'll save up for a while for a scope and rings, I don't mind waiting and buying quality once.

I'm thinking a .308. Ammo readily available, relatively cheap to shoot, alot of hand loading information, time tested, etc... I'm open to suggestions. A .338 lapua would be nice, but im not trying to pay several dollars for each shot and currently like my shoulder
wink.gif
. I like to go to the range and shoot alot, that's why im leaning towards .308 b/c of relatively cheap ammo.

Wood stock would be nice, but im open minded on possible non-wood options.

I plan on shooting factory loads until I hone my skills on the rifle , then ill start hand loading and moving out to further distances.

As i said, im looking for a good bolt gun to hunt and target shoot with. MOA capable ideally(and i know ill have to handload to achieve this at longer ranges, and that the nut behind the trigger will determine alot ). As for range, being able to shoot 1000 yards(target, not hunting) with this gun would be nice. The vast majority of my shooting will be around 200-400 yards. I would like to bring with gun to local shoots on NRA targets and such. Im not looking to win any national championships, just a good starter rifle that i can develop good habits and skills with.

Hope i was detailed enough. Any advice/input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Help a newb pick out a mid range rifle.

I started with a Savage 10FCP and feel it is a good starting rifle as although it is heavy you can still hunt with it. The 308 is a great round for hunting and long range shooting. Plus it is an affordable round to shoot. Good luck with your new gun!

check out the weatherby vanguard packages they'r about 630 bucks and are guarenteed 1.5 moa but most shoot better. if i wasnt planning on a savage for my next gun and am on a budget(which I am) id go for this easy. i migght even buy it for my .223 if i scrap my plans for a stevens build

Go with 223. More trigger time, equally good ammo selection, and it'll fit the bill perfectly for the ranges you're talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with 223. More trigger time, equally good ammo selection, and it'll fit the bill perfectly for the ranges you're talking about. </div></div>

Is .223 legal for whitetail in NC?

It seems to me that you have made most of the choices but only need guidance on which rifle. Most folks here will almost automatically say Remington or Savage, both make good, accurate rifles and will serve you well. There are other options, such as FN, CZ USA, Winchester and Tikka.

I LOVE the look of a nice wood stock, there are several out there in a laminated wood stock. I know Remington sells a varmint rifle in a laminated stock. A very nice looking rifle, but the barrel is 26". I believe, but am not sure that Savage offers a laminated stock on a heavy barrel model. I know that Howa makse several laminated stock varmint rifles.

Here, though, is the problem. None of them come from the factory bedded and I am not sure if all of them even have pilars installed. My recommendation would be a rifle with a synthetic stock, preferably one with an aluminum bedding block.

You want a rifle for double duty, and living in NC, I would recommend a rifle with a 20" barrel. MUCH handier in the woods and still plenty long if you are shooting across a meadow or have access to a long distance range.

If you don't want to be bothered with ordering a replacement stock then the a Savage 10PC or a remington 5R would be the two that jump immediately to mind. The 5R has recently been released with a 20" threaded barrel. I have a 24" 5R, it shoots phenominally, my Dad has a 10PC, it is also a very accurate rifle. The 10PC does have a much nicer recoil pad, but I personally prefer the HS Precision stock on the 5R. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the accustock, but I have pretty big mitts and the accustock is a little thin in the wrist for my tastes. I used that very same 10PC with a falcon menace 4-14x scope in a 1 week basic sniper course. It worked like a champ.

If you want something a bit different with an outstanding rep, look here:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/582/products_id/411538545

If you would like to order a rifle and get a stock that you think you would like better, then the Remington SPS tactical 20" barrel is an excellent choice. Either model, the 1-12 twist or the 1-10. The 1-12 is a bit cheaper and will stabilize the 175 matchkings. The 1-10 is threaded for a can or a break and the daster twist will ensure you can stabilize the long bullets like the 178 AMAX etc...

The Howa HB in 20" is also a very nice rifle, the action is very well made, the bolt throw very slick and it has a very nice 1 piece bolt. They can be had for 510 bucks from Buds, aftermarket stock selection is limited.

As far as your cartridge selection, .308 is a good one. However, don't discount something like the 6.5 CM, it has very reasonably priced match ammo available, though it is strictly an order over the internet thing. The box of ammo comes with the recipe right on the side so you can duplicate it. Savage makes several rifles chambered in 6.5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 5R, or a Savage. </div></div>

Agreeing with this, both are great choices for the 308 cal.

For optics, if you want a fixed power, go with the Super Snipers 20x fixed power and you will be happy. Looked through one the other day and it was really clear. Wont break the bank too bad either.

Super Sniper (SWFA) also has some new releases coming soon

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I'll probably stay away from the "package" deals as the scopes usually aren't worth their weight in dirt. I'll take a look at the savages, I have a MK II BV .22lr that will hold MOA at 50 yards all day(as long as i can shoot that day) with 5 cent ammo, gotta love 22lr.

.223 is legal in NC for deer huntings, as of last season. I'll consider it, but the .308 seems to have the upper hand in this situation. This rifle is primarily for target shooting and paper punching, and maybe half a dozen deer hunts a year.

I'd consider an aftermarkter stock for a gun. Id be fine ordering a synthetic stock from the factory and getting an aftermarket wood stock down the road. My main priority here is accuracy.

As Fdkay stated, i guess my question here is the million dollar one, which rifle?

For optics, ill probably end up with a 4.5-14 or a 6-18X, the low end on both of those should be good for the occasional deer hunt with the high end suitable for target work. Maybe a Leupold VII or III, Weaver V series seem nice too, that will be something ill figure out after I decide on the rifle.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 5R, or a Savage. </div></div>

For optics, if you want a fixed power, go with the <span style="color: #FF0000">Super Snipers 20x fixed power </span>and you will be happy. Looked through one the other day and it was really clear. Wont break the bank too bad either.

Super Sniper (SWFA) also has some new releases coming soon </div></div>

A fixed 20X is not exactly optimum for deer hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Felderthewelder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 5R, or a Savage. </div></div>

For optics, if you want a fixed power, go with the <span style="color: #FF0000">Super Snipers 20x fixed power </span>and you will be happy. Looked through one the other day and it was really clear. Wont break the bank too bad either.

Super Sniper (SWFA) also has some new releases coming soon </div></div>

A fixed 20X is not exactly optimum for deer hunting. </div></div>

Agree'd, but he said primarily used for target shooting. And he can use it for deer hunting, he will just know exactly where the bullets going, hair by hair
wink.gif

No love for the Bushnell Elite 10x40?

Also a vote for .308. You may want to check the hide classifieds and your local firearm forum. Buying something slightly used or already with a scope, base, and bipod can help you save some money as long as you don't mind that it no longer smells new. I picked my Howa .308 up slightly used for $275 with a wood stock and el-cheapo rings and bases. You might find a similar deal.

-Travis

Another vote for the Savage 10PC (Precision Carbine), just as it comes NIB. Add a decent sloped base and midrange-priced variable scope and the package will shoot better than most shooters can manage.

I've shot the rifle and I want one myself.

As an overall, do most anything rifle; it's well on its way to becoming a classic.

When it's finally toasted its barrel, and once you've mastered handloading, try replacing the barrel with one of these.. I have the 28" .260 barrel, and I think it transforms the rifle into a decent 1Kyd+ -capable tackdriver.

Greg

Thanks guys. Looks like ill get the .308, and most likely a Savage or Remington at this point.

I googled the 5R's, they seem to be a redone 700 in a different stock, i couldn't find them on Remingtons site, whats the advantage over a standard 700? And if I was to get a 700, should i go with a SPS or a different model? I don't mind upgrading to a HS Precision stock or something else later on.

As for twist rate, it seems most are either 1:10" or 1:12", i know both have there own advantage, which is better suited to my purposes?