• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

help deciding on trigger upgrade. geiselle ssa-e vs HSNM

AZIROC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
Avondale, AZ
Want to upgrade my trigger in my 308. Right now it has a single atage pof trigger and jp springs. While it is a very nice and smooth trigger, I feel my groups could get alittle better with a quality 2 stage. Now my question, which geiselle.

The rifle is dedicated BR / precision rig. I like the ssa-e (or sd-e) but I also like the HSNM trigger. Price is alittle bit of an issue as the NM is about $80 more. Is the adjustability and lighter 2nd stage worth the extra money? I like light triggers but I just wonder if a 4-14 OUNCE 2nd stage may b to light.

I prefer a small amount of take up on the 1st pull with a solid "wall" where the 2nd stage would start but also a very light and crisp break.

My gf has a savage 7mm mag with a trigger that has a 2 or 2 1/2 lb trigger. The "creep" is alittle long for me but it is light. The break of it is light but I'd like it alittle bit lighter. Will have to ask her what trigger she has but I know her rifle is pretty much stock.

Honestly both triggers have fantastic feeling pulls as you describe...however they are two very different triggers imho.

The SSA-E/SD-E's non adjust design is perfect for true hard use rifles....whereas the HSNM's adjust design is perfect for competition where one can afford to sacrifice some reliability for enhanced performance or a lighter break.

Both are extremely predictable, have solid second stage "walls"....and break very crisply.

The HSNM does allow adjustment of the second stage weight. Realize that with a 308 AR, you may not want too little second stage weight, especially if you are in a hurry and trying to make a bad position work for you as you may double quite easily, but maybe that's just me…..

Not sure if you are partial to Geiselle or had good or bad experience with others. I can only recommend on my limited experience with AR10 308. I built with a Timney 4 lb drop in. Very smooth and crisp break. Just my limited experience with other than original issue trigger groups.

Have the SSA-E in my POF P308. While the stock trigger was nice, the SSA-E is awesome and tightened up my groups significantly over the stock trigger.

There's a really good video on YouTube that was made by Geissele about selecting the proper trigger for your application. To me if the rifle is a dedicated benchrest / precision rifle rig then I would be more inclined to go with the HSNM trigger do to the adjustability, lighter pull weight, and faster lock time. Is that worth $80 more than the SSA-E, I don't know, I run a SSA-E in my DMR gun and love it so that last part is up to you.