• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help Identifying a Springfield 22

Devalt

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2008
Granite Bay, CA
I just inherited a rifle from a relative and need some help identifying it. Its Marked US Springfield Armory M192_ MIL Cal .22. The _ is an unidentifiable number that was drilled through to mount a weaver base.

Looking at this site ( http://m1903.com/odd1903/ ) it almost appears to be a NRA Sporter.

Side picture:
IMG_3435.jpg

Up close of right side of receiver, also shows the scope mounts:
IMG_3436.jpg

Super up close of the markings:
IMG_3441.jpg

The right most screw looks original the other two look after market.

Underside of the gun:
IMG_3442.jpg

Leftside of receiver:
IMG_3443.jpg

Upclose of leftside with bolt release open:
IMG_3444.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Help Identifying a Springfield 22

Looks like a M1922 that has been sporterized. I used to own an 03A3 that looked very similar.

Your rifle was originaly produced as 1922 M1 the strange mark near the scope mount hole is a handstamped I. This was done when these rifles were upgraded to a 1922 MII. There is lots of info on the web about these rifles. They are very sought after in original configuration. Yours has been restocked and it seems to have been fairly well done. Thank God you have the original magazine as replacements come with a heavy pricetag.

Just wanted to add that the cut out on the right side of the receiver was more then likely for a peep sight. My 03A3 had a lyman peep site. Again, they were very popular rifles to "sporterize" in the 60's as CMP was basically giving them away at the time.