Rifle Scopes Help me pick an optic please.

33shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2012
Texas
www.tacticalgunreview.com
I am in need of an optic for my 18" 7.62 OBR. I will use it for hunting and tactical matches with ranges out to 1000 yards. For budget, I'm sorta flexible to around $2000 but do not want to break the budget.

What's important to me. Reticule that matches the adjustments, FFP, weight, and illumination. I would like to keep the weight down to under 26oz if possible and due to my hunting would prefer illumination. I can get promotive discounts so the prices there allow for some good options. Please help me decide as I'm struggling. (oh, I'd prefer a US company too). I've narrowed it to a few, but I'm open to other suggestions. (no 35mm tubes, I don't like the 35mm mounting options)

Leupold MK4 ER/T 4.5-14x50mm FFP M5 TMR illuminated
Leupold MK6 3-18x44mm CMR-W (not illuminated)
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm
USO SN-3 1.8-10x44 EREK ERGO (likely used as it breaks my budget)
Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50mm (breaks my budget)

Re: Help me pick an optic please.

If I was in your shoes I would get a NF F1 3.5-15, I know it's a touch out of your budget but you will be happy you spent the extra 300bucks. 15 power is enough to get you to a 1000yds, NF is tough as hell and sitting ontop of an OBR you would have yourself a pretty sweet little package.

The NF is much heavier, at 30oz. The only reason it's not on the list, I like NF stuff. Even though it has no illumination I'm strongly looking at the MK6

Edit: but I will have to take another look at them. It would go well with the OBR.

No, that's a valid question. It's heavy, but I chose it to be a jack of all trades but master of none. I wanted a gun I could suppress (I have a can) easy, hunt with, use for 3-gun, and shoot in tactical matches. I have a 1-6x for 3-gun and it might get used more for hunting than my large optic. I would prefer to keep the weight down if possible. If not, I'll look harder at the other options.

I'm really torn, the NF would be a great choice. But the size of the MK6 makes me think it would fit well with the gun just like the USO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 33shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've narrowed it to a few, but I'm open to other suggestions. (no 35mm tubes, I don't like the 35mm mounting options)

) </div></div>

Ummmmmmmm........ok

why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 33shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've narrowed it to a few, but I'm open to other suggestions. (no 35mm tubes, I don't like the 35mm mounting options)

) </div></div>

Ummmmmmmm........ok

why? </div></div>

I don't like the one piece 35mm mounts available. Personal preference.

Whatever you get just make sure it has ALOT of Adjustment to get your rifle (With 18" barrel) out to 1K. You are probly losing velocity due to the barrel length, so you will need more adjustment to get you to it...

Good Luck!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you get just make sure it has ALOT of Adjustment to get your rifle (With 18" barrel) out to 1K. You are probly losing velocity due to the barrel length, so you will need more adjustment to get you to it...

Good Luck!!! </div></div>

I was able to get there with the SWFA SS 5-20x50 2 weeks ago and had plenty left over. The OBR has a built in 20MOA top rail so even the limited adjustment of the Premier LT should get me where I need to go. The Chronograph was showing 2450fps with 175grn FGMM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 33shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you get just make sure it has ALOT of Adjustment to get your rifle (With 18" barrel) out to 1K. You are probly losing velocity due to the barrel length, so you will need more adjustment to get you to it...

Good Luck!!! </div></div>

I was able to get there with the SWFA SS 5-20x50 2 weeks ago and had plenty left over. The OBR has a built in 20MOA top rail so even the limited adjustment of the Premier LT should get me where I need to go. The Chronograph was showing 2450fps with 175grn FGMM </div></div>

What didn't you like about the SS?

Just went through a similar process here on the hide to pick a couple of scopes - this is not yet first hand until I get the scopes I bought, but here is what I learned.

You might want to put the Razor HD 5-20x50 on your list. It fits the spec really well (except 5 oz +/- over on weight - but you've already said that weight isn't top priority). Highly experienced hide members who have shot this scope in competition and in the field have great things to say and I have seen very little negatives. I'm buying one to displace a Leupold VX3 that sits on top of one of my Armalite AR10s with a match stainless 22". This will do everything you want to do.

In that price range, based on hide expert member feedback I would choose the following in order:
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50mm $2,000 (keeps up with the very best in all categories)
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50mm $1,500.
Vortex PST 6-24x50mm less than $1,000 - great scope for the price but optics are not the same as the other two.

There are several great detailed reviews and posts on all 3 of above - these are all good reads with good information on your decision IMO:
Field Test: Razor v SS v DMR G2 v NXS
Does Razor 5-20 Stand Up To Top LR Optics?
High End Tactical Scopes: Part III
Riflescopes: Under $2000
Questions: SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 for Long Range

I'm a whore for German glass but played with lots of others. Just sold my USO 1.8-10x44 GAP ERGO EREK, which is heavier than the NF F1 btw. Sold my PR 3-15 a while ago. Still have a NF F1 on my 6.5x47 practical sporter and keeping it that way cause the sleeker profile fits better. Lots of folk have mentioned the same ... if willing to spend up to $2000, I say NF F1.

I went with a NF-F1 on my OBR and like it. I've got a Luppy MK6 3x18 on backorder now. My buddy got the MK6 for his OBR and I've shot it. I liked it enough to buy one. Glass was pretty comparable and like you I wanted to go lighter if I could.