• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Help Me Pick Rangefinding Binos (2024/2025)

Secant

Minuteman
  • Aug 11, 2019
    Out West
    www.snipershide.com
    I have an older set of Leica HD-Bs, and I've been looking to find something worth replacing them with. Like a lot of people here, I use them for hunting and general glassing, but I also want a solid laser that can reliably hit small steel targets at distance with an integrated ballistics solver (that does not need to BT to another device). I'd prefer AB, but it's not a deal killer. I was set on picking up a pair of the Vector X's when they became available, and my hope was that the Vectors would bridge the gap between the gamer options and the hunting options, but I'm re-evaluating. Potential options that I'm considering are (not necessarily on this order):

I saw some conflicting info on some of these units regarding beam divergence, so maybe this table is not completely accurate
    1727361194601.png

Vectronix Vector X ($2,799 + $600 enhancers)
    Not a ton of info out yet regarding general production units. Pre-production and influencer type reviews indicate that the laser is great, I like the display readout, and it sounds like glass is good (probably not on par with alpha bino RF?).

Currently they are unobtanium. Previous comments related to civilian sales support is poor. I don't care that much about the etched reticle - it will get occasional use, but I'll glass more than I use the reticle so I'd probably prefer clean optics. Some of the comments in the Vector X threads so far have me second guessing quality of these units (but that's probably not a fair assessment at this point). I like the prospect of throwing the enhancers in my backpack to use while tripod mounted.

Revic BLR10b ($2,425.50)
    A little more info on these than the Vectors, but still not a ton. Sounds like laser is good, I'm okay with display, and glass sounds like it's okay (but not competing with the top 3). I don't want to rely on a BT connection for the ballistics, and my understanding is that these can function independently, is that right? I'm luke warm on this option, but can't actually say why. I haven't used a set myself, but part of me thinks if I were to go this route, I should just grab the vortex AB option for almost half the price and wait for a future option with better optics.

Leica 3200.com OR PRO ($2,000 - ~$2500 + AB upgrade)
    I've been really happy with the optics in my older HD-B's, so I'm inclined to grab another set of Leica's. The .Coms have better beam divergence than the Pros, but I'd prefer the AB solver in the Pros as well as the ability to receive a solution beyond 1,000 yards (I'd upgrade the Pros to AB Elite). The Leica solver I use in the HD-Bs is workable, but honestly it's kinda shit. I believe the Pros have the largest beam divergence of any option I'm considering. I also don't like how long you have to wait for the range display to cycle to the ballistic solution display (why wouldn't they display both on the initial screen?!). My understanding is that these Leica's will be optically superior to the Vector & Revics, which is appealing.

If Leica would upgrade their laser and provide additional display options, I'd happily pay more to have high level optics with a high performing laser/ballistics solver.

Swaro EL Range TA ($3,150)
    I haven't looked into this option too much. Previously, Swaro's lasers seemed to be lacking and their in-house ballistic app was shit. Optics should be among the best of the group. I'm most leary of the ballistics solver and display at this point. I've looked at some of the specs, and I don't see anything that would steer me towards Swaro over Leica, but maybe I'm missing something.

Zeiss Victory RF ($3,099)
    Similar to the Leica & Swaro, I think the pro with these will be the optics, and the potential con is going to be the ballistic solver, readout, and the laser is not as good as other options.

Vortex Fury 5000 AB ($1,350)
    These would be a place holder until 'something better' came along. You could probably substitute these Vortex units with a host of other options. There's a pretty low probability that I'd go this route especially since I haven't heard of anything concrete on the horizon.

I've watched a handful of YouTube videos, I've read some reviews, and I've had hands on with only a couple of these units, but nothing really jumps out as THE choice. It's kinda crazy that Sig or Vortex (or some other company) doesn't offer a high quality optics choice or that Swaro/Leica/Zeiss doesn't offer a better laser/readout option.

Anyone have any great insights?? I know a lot of people are in the same boat, what did you pick and why?

What do you hunt, and at what distance?

Don’t think there’s anything out there that really hits your mark quite yet. I too am disquieted by some of the feedback about the VectorX.

I’ll throw out what I did. It doesn't exactly conform to your specs, but maybe it will be a helpful perspective.

I’m interested in shooting small varmints out to 500-ish yds, mainly in the summer on flat terrain.

After some testing, I found that a 15x bino replaced my spotter. The only true 15x LRF bino (no screw-ons) is the Leica Geovid-R. The glass is very good. 99% sure there are no ballistics onboard, but I don’t care as I use a dope card on my scope and sometimes a wind rose (usually not).

It doesn’t have a laser as good as my non-AB Furys, but for the job I have for it, the Geovid-R’s work very well.

Reactions: Secant
    I'm super happy with my Sig 10k's, the gen 2 looks even better.
    As for ranging capability none of the others have stacked up (swaro, leica, or Vortex). Obviously I haven't had my hands on the Vector X yet.

Some of the other glass is for sure nicer but the sig is good enough for me. I'm no snob.

As for ranging capability none of the others have stacked up (swaro, leica, or Vortex). Obviously I haven't had my hands on the Vector X yet.

Some of the other glass is for sure nicer but the sig is good enough for me. I'm no snob.
    If I prized a great laser, having an onboard ballistic solver, and a forever warranty then I think the Sig Gen 2 is prob the way I’d go for a 10x bino.

Getting great glass in there is (obviously) still the prob that @Secant is mulling over.

The VectorX sounds good, but I wish they just had made a straight-up 17x bino (or 15x) instead of attempting the screw-in range enhancers. Sounds like they might darken the image too much. A 12x42 that turns into a 17x42…hmmm…well, my Leicas are a 15x56 for comparison. Way more light getting in.

And by having an etched reticle (vs digital) they needed to have two reticles for two magnifications. I think that’s kinda confusing. Can’t adjust the reticle to line up the the actual laser point either.

I use my Leica 3200 10x to glass everything, work and play. If you spend a lot of time using the binos, then I would recommend the Leica. The rangefinder is good and the built range app matches what I get in AB (using Leica 3200 and Leica Ballistics on an iPhone).

My 2 cents.

You know, thinking about it, I don’t know if the Sig 10k Gen 2 needs to be BT to an app for ballistics. Does the Gen 1? I seem to remember that the Gen 1 does.
    Both gen 1 and 2 have an internal ballistic calculator.

They have the option to pair to a kestrel if you like, which I do for NF ELR match and leave my kestrel on a wind vane. Gives me a good starting point for wind and can make manual adjustments from there.

What do you hunt, and at what distance?

Don’t think there’s anything out there that really hits your mark quite yet. I too am disquieted by some of the feedback about the VectorX.

I’ll throw out what I did. It doesn't exactly conform to your specs, but maybe it will be a helpful perspective.

I’m interested in shooting small varmints out to 500-ish yds, mainly in the summer on flat terrain.

After some testing, I found that a 15x bino replaced my spotter. The only true 15x LRF bino (no screw-ons) is the Leica Geovid-R. The glass is very good. 99% sure there are no ballistics onboard, but I don’t care as I use a dope card on my scope and sometimes a wind rose (usually not).

It doesn’t have a laser as good as my non-AB Furys, but for the job I have for it, the Geovid-R’s work very well.
    On the hunting side, it’s deer/elk/antelope. Primarily spot and stalk, but occasionally long glassing sessions. I'd swag taht 95% of opportunities are typically 500 yards and in. Packing a spotter or 15’s isn’t worth it for where/how I hunt. The weight/size of the Vector enhancers seems like it would pair well with how I hunt/glass. Outside of shooting/hunting, I also use binos hiking or at national parks or whatever.

The blue hue is really noticeable to me. Maybe I’m a snob or just sensitive, but long glassing sessions were a no go for me. The Gen 2’s weren’t listed, but I have thought about those as well.

If I prized a great laser, having an onboard ballistic solver, and a forever warranty then I think the Sig Gen 2 is prob the way I’d go for a 10x bino.

Getting great glass in there is (obviously) still the prob that @Secant is mulling over.

The VectorX sounds good, but I wish they just had made a straight-up 17x bino (or 15x) instead of attempting the screw-in range enhancers. Sounds like they might darken the image too much. A 12x42 that turns into a 17x42…hmmm…well, my Leicas are a 15x56 for comparison. Way more light getting in.

And by having an etched reticle (vs digital) they needed to have two reticles for two magnifications. I think that’s kinda confusing. Can’t adjust the reticle to line up the the actual laser point either.
    My initial thought was that the 12's + enhancers would lead to eye fatigue, but my hope was that 14x42 would be workable enough for how I would use them. I agree that an etched reticle is more in the con column for me, and I would prefer a digital/programable reticle that could be calibrated. I wouldn't use the scales to flash mil anything, and I would sparingly use the scales to call corrections. I was leaning towards the SMR reticle simply for cleaner optics.

You know, thinking about it, I don’t know if the Sig 10k Gen 2 needs to be BT to an app for ballistics. Does the Gen 1? I seem to remember that the Gen 1 does.
    That would be a deal killer for me. While hunting, my phone is typically on airplane or off. I do carry a kestrel, but I don't want to rely on that connection.

I use my Leica 3200 10x to glass everything, work and play. If you spend a lot of time using the binos, then I would recommend the Leica. The rangefinder is good and the built range app matches what I get in AB (using Leica 3200 and Leica Ballistics on an iPhone).

My 2 cents.
    Yeah, I can get the shitty Leica solver to line up easily with AB. But at this point, the Leica solver is definitely well within legacy tech territory. For me, the solver is less of an issue while hunting, but becomes more problematic on the shooting side.

Reactions: carbonbased
    The blue hue is really noticeable to me. Maybe I’m a snob or just sensitive, but long glassing sessions were a no go for me. The Gen 2’s weren’t listed, but I have thought about those as well.
    the very first time I looked through them I was sad, I got used to it that day, spent a ton of time on them. Now I don't even notice it, actually to the point its almost weird when I look through someone else's bino's and they don't have it. Everyone I've talked to seems to say that it's basically completely gone with the Gen 2.

the very first time I looked through them I was sad, I got used to it that day, spent a ton of time on them. Now I don't even notice it, actually to the point its almost weird when I look through someone else's bino's and they don't have it. Everyone I've talked to seems to say that it's basically completely gone with the Gen 2.
    I've heard the same about the Gen 2's, I need to check around and see if anyone stocks them anywhere near me. Or maybe one of the optics rental places have them, and I could compare optics for myself over varying conditions. I prefer the Vector X readout display, but that's just being nitpicky and both are better than having to wait on the display to cycle to the next page to the ballistics.

I've heard the same about the Gen 2's, I need to check around and see if anyone stocks them anywhere near me. Or maybe one of the optics rental places have them, and I could compare optics for myself over varying conditions. I prefer the Vector X readout display, but that's just being nitpicky and both are better than having to wait on the display to cycle to the next page to the ballistics.
    Also if you shoot any matches might be able to pick up a Sig cert, seems to be some at almost every match.

Both gen 1 and 2 have an internal ballistic calculator.
    Maybe I was thinking that the Sig couldn’t pass DOF to the Kestrel? Like sig didn’t pay some licensing fee of something. See this chart for a bit older but still relevant info:

They have the option to pair to a kestrel if you like, which I do for NF ELR match and leave my kestrel on a wind vane. Gives me a good starting point for wind and can make manual adjustments from there.
    Wait! Maybe it was that you couldn’t mess with the Sig app it unless the binos were currently connected? Maybe they fixed that in firmware; if not, did they fix it in the Gen 2?

Maybe I was thinking that the Sig couldn’t pass DOF to the Kestrel? Like sig didn’t pay some licensing fee of something. See this chart for a bit older but still relevant info:

Wait! Maybe it was that you couldn’t mess with the Sig app it unless the binos were currently connected? Maybe they fixed that in firmware; if not, did they fix it in the Gen 2?
    Ya the sig doesn't push DOF to the Kestrel which is annoying.

I think you may be right about the App originally it wanted to be connected to play with it but I was just doing it the other day not connected so that is fixed.

Reactions: carbonbased
    Btw @Secant speaking of gotchas, it seems like to make an informed purchasing decision about these complicated things, I had to go full retard and look at all the intricacies of how these rangefinder binos work. More so than, oh, scopes.

Kinda drives me mad 😵‍💫

As far as the SIGs, the best resource I found is this guy. Here’s his overview for the Gen 1. It’s extremely comprehensive:

Later on, he added the Gen 2 additional info:

Like I said, that’s the way I’d lean, but really, it’s overkill for me. But that display is just so frickin’ sweet compared to my Furys!

That type of vid is what the manufacturers need to put out. The ones they produce are always so abbreviated.

Last edited:
    Btw @Secant speaking of gotchas, it seems like to make an informed purchasing decision one has to really go full retard and look at all the intricacies of how these rangefinder binos work.

As far as the SIGs, the best resource I found is this guy. Here’s his overview for the Gen 1. It’s extremely comprehensive:

Later on, he added the Gen 2 additional info:

Like I said, that’s the way I’d lean, but really, it’s overkill for me. But that display is just so frickin’ sweet compared to my Furys!

That type of vid is what the manufacturers need to put out. The ones they produce are always so abbreviated.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that Gen 2 review.

I watched that guys tripod shooting video and thought it was pretty cringe :ROFLMAO:
    Also not a fan of how he implies his super secret wind techniques allow his students to hit golfballs at 1,000 yards. Chance occurrences like that shouldn't be touted as teachable, consistent, achievements. But anyways, now I'm just being cunty

Thanks, I'll take a look at that Gen 2 review.

I watched that guys tripod shooting video and thought it was pretty cringe :ROFLMAO:
    Also not a fan of how he implies his super secret wind techniques allow his students to hit golfballs at 1,000 yards. Chance occurrences like that shouldn't be touted as teachable, consistent, achievements. But anyways, now I'm just being cunty
    Yeah, that tripod vid…ooofff

Didn’t look at his wind/golf ball vid. Maybe @Overton Windex was in his class lol

“Cunty” always cracks me up

• Haha
    Reactions: Taylorbok