Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Los Angeles County
here's a wish list:

mcmillan a1,a1-3, or htg stock

Please Recommend an action.

-Shoot to 1 Mile.

-weigh less than 20lbs scoped but ideally end up with 14-17lbs with scope. I want NO muzzle brake so I need the weight up.

-internal mag 3-5 rds

So 250gr and 300gr scenars factory loaded would be my only current source of ammo.

What is minimum length i would need for the mile shot and what twist?

Last edited:
For what you want to do, and for ELR in general, single shot is the way to go.

Do you happen to know of an rem 700 foot print long action for 338lm that will fit in an A1, A1-3 or HTG stock? Also is there any way to have an internal magazine with 338lm?

here's a wish list:

-Shoot to 1 Mile.

-weigh less than 20lbs scoped but ideally end up with 14-17lbs with scope. I want NO muzzle brake so I need the weight up.

-internal mag 3-5 rds

So 250gr and 300gr scenars factory loaded would be my only current source of ammo.

What is minimum length i would need for the mile shot and what twist?

Its not the rifle that will get you to 1mile. Its you. You need four things to get out there, a good rifle, a log book, a great range finder and time. I have managed four first shot hits at around one mile in the 5 years I've been at this. Three this year. ( I am vary proud of this.)

If your getting a 338 Lapua learn from my mistakes, get reloading equipment. Some of those bullets are 9 or 10 bucks each. I build mine for +/- $1.50. And start a log book from the first round. The electronic calculators can't account for you. The book will.

If you want to hurt way out there throw the 275-300 grainers. (They carry the energy) You will need to have a 1 in 10 twist or better to keep them stable. As for the barrel length... The longer the faster, the faster the flatter.

Be careful, this is an expensive addiction.

Why not look at the 338 norma or go with the 300 norma and sling 230grain bergers? If you are buying factory actions look at the savage .338 guns as an entry point, to step up from that you would be getting close to a Sako TRG, above that $$$wise is custom and AI.. Custom would be the way to go given the requirements you are asking for. Contact GAP, SAC or Gradous and talk with them...given your requirements I would go with :

Surgeon 1581 XL Action
The heaviest barrel you can get 26'' such as an mtu or straight contour also a 1/10 twist or go AI 1/9.375
Dont know about stock but something AI or a mcmillian with some fill to it.

Remington does have some .338 guns but for everything you want to start doing why go factory? Like the guy above said start reloading your own ammo. You're going to need a good scope too. Good luck.