Help me spend some $$$$ on a new rifle.

Cbmax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
New Jersey
Hi All,

As the subject suggests, I am going to be in the market for a new rifle in 2011. I want a new rifle predominantly for use as a range toy, possible tactical rifle matches and maybe long range varminting. I also simply want something new for my collection. My local range is 300 yards. I am willing to travel a reasonable distance for longer range work. I am located in NJ.

Here is what I have for rifles thus far:

1) Custom built AICS in .308, 26 in Bartlein barrel, Nighforce 12X46 BR scope with NP-2DD reticle
2) Custom built AR-15 in .204 Ruger. 24 inch upper from White Oak Armament. Mega Machines lower with Magpul PRS stock. Trijicom Accupoint 5-20 Scope
3) Stag Arms AR-15 in .223. White Oak Armament 18 inch SPR barrel. Burris 1-4 XTR Scope. I use this for USPSA matches.
4) Rock River Arms AR-15 with 16 inch barrel. Eotech reflex scope.
5) Stag Arms AR-15 in 6.8 SPC. Magpul PRS Stock. Leupold 4.5 X 14 Scope
6) Savage .22 rifle with Bushnell Elite 3X9 Scope.
7) Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf with Trijicon 1-4 scope.

I have been thinking about buying a Eliseo tube gun in 6.5 X 47 Lapua. However, I am also thinking I don't have an AR-10 in .308. Another choice might be an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel.

I am open to suggestions. I will also post this in the Semi Auto section.

One final piece of info. I do reloasd my own ammo.

Thanks for any feedback.

Chris

Re: Help me spend some $$$$ on a new rifle.

Do you have a 308 bolt gun? If not, I would vote for that. If you are primarily interested in a race gun for target and match shooting, then I would go with the first option, but in 260 Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a 308 bolt gun? If not, I would vote for that. If you are primarily interested in a race gun for target and match shooting, then I would go with the first option, but in 260 Remington. </div></div>

1) Custom built AICS in .308, 26 in Bartlein barrel, Nighforce 12X46 BR scope with NP-2DD reticle

lol, i still say get a bolt or gas 260 or 6.5 creedmore either one would do what you want. 20-22" have any of the guys here do it. GAP, APA, Skunkworks, SAC, LPR, STR, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cbmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My local range is 300 yards. I am willing to travel a reasonable distance for longer range work.

One final piece of info. I do reload my own ammo.</div></div>

Have a Bartlein barrel chambered for your favorite factory load or pet bullet seated to magazine length where the bullet is just off of the rifling lands.

26" is waaaay more barrel than you need (Lowlight hits steel plates at 1k yards with a 20" barrel .308 with boring regularity), spend some time with a 20" barrel .308 and you won't go back.

The Nightforce BR scope is a telescope on top of your rifle, you will find the NF 3-15 more than adequate and much easier to carry around.

The .308 is the obligatory foundation for any self respecting rifle collection, master it then branch out from there to a good 6.5 round (that is a discussion for another day).

Good luck and good shooting in the PRNJ
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a 308 bolt gun? If not, I would vote for that. If you are primarily interested in a race gun for target and match shooting, then I would go with the first option, but in 260 Remington. </div></div>

lol, i still say get a bolt or gas 260 or 6.5 creedmore either one would do what you want. 20-22" have any of the guys here do it. GAP, APA, Skunkworks, SAC, LPR, STR, etc. </div></div>
While I agree with Joe, try a 25" barrel to push those calibers as fast as you can.

Have you considered the new Savage Model 11 Long Range Hunter in Rem 260? Adjustable stock, muzzle brake and a 26" barrel. Looks like a very nice starter platform and maybe more if it shoots well out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cbmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My local range is 300 yards. I am willing to travel a reasonable distance for longer range work.

One final piece of info. I do reload my own ammo.</div></div>

Have a Bartlein barrel chambered for your favorite factory load or pet bullet seated to magazine length where the bullet is just off of the rifling lands.

<span style="color: #FF0000">26" is waaaay more barrel than you need (Lowlight hits steel plates at 1k yards with a 20" barrel .308 with boring regularity), spend some time with a 20" barrel .308 and you won't go back.</span>

The Nightforce BR scope is a telescope on top of your rifle, you will find the NF 3-15 more than adequate and much easier to carry around.

The .308 is the obligatory foundation for any self respecting rifle collection, master it then branch out from there to a good 6.5 round (that is a discussion for another day).

Good luck and good shooting in the PRNJ
wink.gif
</div></div>

Really? You are telling a guy who is just getting into precision shooting to chop his barrel because you saw a video of LL doing it here on the Hide? Be sure to also explain the talent, expertise and experience that particular shooter has in the video, combined with a GAP trued Rem action and a Bartlein barrel before you preach chopping the barrel off, for NO reason. Wtf? You short barrel guys never cease to amaze me.

Cbmax, all that aside. Number 1 seems like a good option, minus the 12-42 NF scope. Just a bit of magnification overkill with that one.

If i had to do all this all over agin.
(btw I'm someone who likes to shoot/sometimes hit thing at longer ranges as opposed to brag about bull shit on the 'puter)

I would buy

1. REM 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
2. Manners T3 or McMillan A1-3
3. NIghtforce 5.5-22x50 MIL/MIL or MIL/MOA doesn't Matter
4. Harris BRMS with PodClaws
5. Tab Sling
6. Local range day
7. 500 rounds ammo
8. Non Local Range day
9 500 rouds ammo
10. 10,000 round ammo

I would have saved allot of money and ben far ahead hadI followed thid simple plan.

^ ditto, I agree with Swan on the barrel length as well. Save the short barrel for going house to house or jumping in & out of vehicals all day!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really? You are telling a guy who is just getting into precision shooting to chop his barrel because you saw a video of LL doing it here on the Hide? Be sure to also explain the talent, expertise and experience that particular shooter has in the video, combined with a GAP trued Rem action and a Bartlein barrel before you preach chopping the barrel off, for NO reason. Wtf? You short barrel guys never cease to amaze me.</div></div>

I am telling him to do it because it works for alot of reasons, not just because LL does it. My apologies, I'll be sure to consult your feelings before I offer any other observations. Have a nice day you long barrel guy...

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I put the big Nightforce on the AICS .308 because I was / am using it for a modified F-Class type shoot that we do at my local club. I think the rifle would work for tactical matches with a different scope. It is on the heavy side though. With the current scope and Atlas bi-pod, it is every bit of 14 lbs if not a little more. It is definitely a shooter though. At 100 yards, it shoots one ragged hole groups with my handloads (42 grains of Varget, Lapua brass, Federal primers and 168 grain SMK's). It shoots just as well with 168 grain Federal Gold Match. If I do my part, I can put 5 shots into a 3 inch target at 300 yards.

What do you all think about the tube gun made by Gary Eliseo? I am looking at the RTM model. You can find his web site by searching Competition Shooting Stuff. I was thinking I would have Pierce Engineering build the rifle with their action. Pierce likes to use Broughton barrels.

For a tactical rifle possibly in 6.5 x 47 Lapua what barrel length would you choose? I don't think I am ready for a real short barrel at my current skill level unless someone explains differently.

I wanted to stay away from the .260 due to short barrel life. I thought the 6.5 x 47 Lapua would be a better choice than 6.5 Creedmore due to the better quality Lapua brass. I wanted to stay away from calibers which require lots of case prep.

I am still open to suggestions!

CB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really? You are telling a guy who is just getting into precision shooting to chop his barrel because you saw a video of LL doing it here on the Hide? Be sure to also explain the talent, expertise and experience that particular shooter has in the video, combined with a GAP trued Rem action and a Bartlein barrel before you preach chopping the barrel off, for NO reason. Wtf? You short barrel guys never cease to amaze me.</div></div>

I am telling him to do it because it works for alot of reasons, not just because LL does it. My apologies, I'll be sure to consult your feelings before I offer any other observations. Have a nice day you long barrel guy... </div></div>

I'd love to hear your "alot of reasons" for running that short barrel in F-Class as the OP stated just above. Please, educate me.

And don't worry about my feelings, I find you short barrel .308 kids highly entertaining.

Who cares how long the barrel is. If it works, use it.

As far as your question goes, i would personally love a GA Precision "Hospitaller" topped with an S&B PMII.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cbmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi... I put the big Nightforce on the AICS .308 because I was / am using it for a modified F-Class type shoot that we do at my local club... It is definitely a shooter though. At 100 yards, it shoots one ragged hole groups with my handloads (42 grains of Varget, Lapua brass, Federal primers and 168 grain SMK's). It shoots just as well with 168 grain Federal Gold Match. If I do my part, I can put 5 shots into a 3 inch target at 300 yards... I am still open to suggestions!
CB </div></div>

Outstanding dude, it sounds like you found what works for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love to hear your "alot of reasons" for running that short barrel in F-Class as the OP stated just above. Please, educate me.</div></div>

PM sent because I don't care to shit on someone elses thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares how long the barrel is. If it works, use it.</div></div>

Best advice yet.

Short barrel life on a 260? Man, that's the first time I've heard the phrase "short barrel life" anywhere near "260 Rem." Unless you've read articles to the contrary, everything I've read says 260s have great barrel life. To each their own.

I'd look at a Tubb 2000, look on McMillans website. I've shot a couple, and if I was earning any $ at all right now, I'd have one in a hertbeat. You pick your caliber, but they are flat cool, and can be had without too long a wait.

Then again, you don't have a 270 geezzzzz
wink.gif

Not knowing what all you have, I would say buy/build a fast twist .223 or .223AI (if you reload) bolt action and shoot some heavy bullets 69-80gr. If you are only going to 300yds max 90% of the time, you will get there in style. Then if you go out further you will have some fun challanges at 600+ yds. It's cheap, accurate, light recoil and fun as all hell! I love my .223 bolt. Other than that.. I like the 6.5 ideas. I prefer bolts over Semi's.. but YMMV.

It's a great dillema to have.
Cheers,
Hawk

I've just started shooting an Eliseo RTM 6.5 Creedmore with a Pierce action. The rifle is rigged with an Atlas bipod, TIS slipcuff sling, and Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 with M5 Turrets and Horus H37 reticle.

My prior experience is smallbore competition using an Anshutz 1813 with iron sights and 20x unertl optics.

A few observations based on limited range time ( I have 140 rnds downrange; 80 at 100yd, 60 at 200 yd)

Strengths:
1) I appreciate the Eliseo's flexible configuration options. The back stock adjustments enable excellent fit
2) The Eliseo RTM stock is solid construction and well balanced. shooting offhand is comfortable
3) The Eliseo RTM obtains compliments from the range crew and fellow shooters. the rifle delivers instant credibility as a serious shooter.
4) The Pierce action is smooth. spent cases show good pressure.
5) The single stage Jewell HB trigger is crisp. Almost rivaling my two-stage Anshutz 54 trigger. The comparison is not entirely accurate as the Anshutz trigger is set for oz pull.
6) The entire rig seems accurate. On the second 100yd range day, I shot 100-9x (0.208mil) on the MR-31 off sandbags using stock 140gr Hornady AMax. On my first 200 yd range day using the bipod off a bench while standing, I shot 0.347mil (9 shots), 0.17mil (5 shot), and 0.52 mil (12 shot) groups across two targets
7) dialing the scope to 20-25x power improves holds and tightens groups due to increased hold feedback
8) Standard 5rnd and 10rnd AW magazines are readily available
9) minimal recoil. wearing a standard outdoor shirt, I could shoot the rifle all day

Weaknesses:
1) time investment required to dial-in stock. Follow salazar's tutorial
2) when scope power is dialed up, the center cross-hairs on the H37 Horus reticle are in the upper quarter of the scope picture. a bit disconcerting.
3) the scope picture on 25x at 200yrd showed a 'blue' instead of 'black' bullseye on the right hand side. not sure if the non-crisp sight picture is me, the conditions (slightly overcast, 75 degrees), or the scope.
4) 6.5 creedmore ammo is frequently 'out of stock' from online suppliers (midway, cheaperthandirt). Make sure you establish proper lead times and order in large quantities.

It seems to me you have several shorter barreled small calibers and one .308. How about something in the middle. Bolt action 6mm or 6.5 length 24-26" barrel to boot em out there. 243, 6mm Remington, 260, 6.5 Creedmoor. Personally I want an improved 6.5 next 26-28" for NRA Long Range matches. It's good to be well rounded. Like a bag of golf clubs a gun for each distance. And the Night Force is good option for FClass at least you know your dope changes will be dead on and reliable IMHO.