Rifle Scopes Help: NF windage turret beauty ring stuck

ironsight1000yard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
I was just tring it on to see which option do I prefer.

Decided to go with capped windage option and then I can never get the darn ring off :p

Tried some lube etc still no go.

Any suggestions to take it off without scratching the scope? I am thinking of picking up rubber strap wrench from Harbor Freight. Will that work?

windage (1).jpg

Photo Sep 12, 11 46 53 PM (1).jpg
Screenshot_20190915-094055.png

Last edited:
There was a thread like this not too long ago. (It might have been on the LRH forum). Anyway, I think the guy ended up using a rubber band around the ring and LITE grip on the ring to get it off. Sounded like just gripping the ring hard with your fingers causes the ring to bind and not turn. You might have to clean the lube off so the rubber will stick to the ring.

Reactions: ironsight1000yard
There was a thread like this not too long ago. (It might have been on the LRH forum). Anyway, I think the guy ended up using a rubber band around the ring and LITE grip on the ring to get it off. Sounded like just gripping the ring hard with your fingers causes the ring to bind and not turn. You might have to clean the lube off so the rubber will stick to the ring.
Thanks, I will try this method before buying more tools.

Seems I am not the only one fall into this. Wish Nightcore had some better design with this. May be a bit bigger ring with grip.

SWFA has the same thread cover on their 1-6HD scope. They were smart enough to notch the ring to where you could use a small non marring punch or wrap the flathead of a screwdriver and tap it off.

In the end I used the method @ShtrRdy mentioned in his reply. Used a wide rubber band around the ring and took it out.
Back to the box and won’t ever use again.
Common NF... You can do better. Everything else in the scope is great ...

There’s nothing wrong with the ring, that’s just what you get when you have a thin piece of metal in a hard to manipulate spot. Too much pressure and you bind it, too little pressure and you don’t get grip. That’s why you use a rubber band. It’s nice that they included it so the threads can be protected for those that don’t want to run capped. They could do a thicker ring that has texture on the outside, but then you’re talking increased price for a situation that isn’t really a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: ironsight1000yard
I will happier if they make it a bit thicker and texture outside.

I doubt the cost will be significant consider the price tag of this thing.

There’s nothing wrong with the ring, that’s just when you get when you have a thin piece of metal in a hard to manipulate spot. Too much pressure and you bind it, too little pressure and you don’t get grip. That’s why you use a rubber band. It’s nice that they included it so the threads can be protected for those that don’t want to run capped. They could do a thicker ring that has texture on the outside, but then you’re talking increased price for a situation that isn’t really a problem.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I will happier if they make it a bit thicker and texture outside.

I doubt the cost will be significant consider the price tag of this thing.

True, that would be nice. Then again it’s one of those things you aren’t taking on and off all the time or if you are, it’s not done in the field. Regardless, I keep a rubber band on my scope’s body for overlay paper so I just use that, should my ring ever come loose or needs to be removed.