• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Help pick a suppressor. Omega vs Resonator vs Other?

Ruger308

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2017
Hey Guys,

Looking to pick up my 1st rifle can and am really looking for the best all around can. My hosts are as follows:

Ruger 308 Predator with 18" barrel - Hunting rig
Ruger 308 Precision
300 blackout semi auto- future purchase 8.5-10" barrel
556 semi auto - 16" barrel

I am really considering the YHM Resonator but not thrilled with the look of the muzzle brake and like the omega various mounting options (keymo, asr, direct, 419)

My biggest concern is obviously sound reduction and POI shift as I will not be using the can 100 percent of the time.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Wiseshot
You may want to look into the Dead Air Nomad. It was designed to compete with the Omega and can even use it's mounts and end caps. Silencershop is supposed to be posting their Range Time Report for it with metering at the muzzle and the ear anytime now. It can use the Area419 mount for the Omega as well.

Another hybrid user hear love mine. I also love the dead air nomad. I have personally witnessed no less than 3 omegas spontaneously self eject their baffle stacks from their sleeves while shooting. I think the nomad is every bit as quiet as the omega and around the same weight. Dead airs key mo system is the best qd system imo.

Another hybrid user hear love mine. I also love the dead air nomad. I have personally witnessed no less than 3 omegas spontaneously self eject their baffle stacks from their sleeves while shooting. I think the nomad is every bit as quiet as the omega and around the same weight. Dead airs key mo system is the best qd system imo.

Omega will be my vote love mine extremely quite IMO people always asking what can I’m using and I have found them as low as 725 without stamp

Omega will be my vote love mine extremely quite IMO people always asking what can I’m using and I have found them as low as 725 without stamp

I have heard the omega and the nomad side by side. Nomad sounds better to my uncalibrated ear. Plus you get the benefit of keymo over the asr system without having to wait for the day the rockset used to hold the omegas sleeve gives out and launches down range.

I have converted all my sico cans over to keymo it's that good

I have heard the omega and the nomad side by side. Nomad sounds better to my uncalibrated ear. Plus you get the benefit of keymo over the asr system without having to wait for the day the rockset used to hold the omegas sleeve gives out and launches down range.

I have converted all my sico cans over to keymo it's that good
I will have to give them a try thanks for the advice

Are any of these cans better/worse at POI shift on a bolt action 308?

I like the nomad now that I am researching it. Really curious on the db ratings compared to the YHM Resonator. That can just seems so quiet but not thrilled with the brake YHM offers.

Key mo has been very repeatable with my zeros. Top group is my 6.5 creed zero, changed barrels to 308 swapped my can to the 308 and shot the bottom group.

Attachments

• 20181222_141134.jpg
    20181222_141134.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 99
I got to shoot with one on 4-5 occasions with my shooting group. Between all of us we have 25-30 cans or so. I was really impressed with the nomad full auto mag dumping on a 10" sbr... sounded just as good as my 762 saker which is bigger and way heavier.

On a bolt gun tone was good poi shift was minimal just what you would want on a lightweight can.

So I called dead air and they told me the Nomad has similar performance to a Sandman L but in a lighter, shorter package. After reading this article: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...rgest-30-caliber-silencer-testing-event-ever/ it looks like the sandman L had an average of 138.5 db in 308 and the hybrid was 136.3 on the same gun/ammo. Will I really notice 2 db at the ear? I like that the nomad is a little lighter but is sound performance more important than weight?

The testing published on TTAG was only done at the muzzle on a bolt gun. On a semi-automatic rifle, the majority of the noise the shooter experiences comes from the chamber as it unlocks. So unfortunately that test tells you basically zero about how the Nomad or Hybrid will perform on your rifles. You need "at the shooters right ear" numbers on semi-autos to know that. Here is most of the data we have on at the ear numbers (credit to NFAtalk.org). Sadly neither can you are interested in is on there.

But we do know this: the Q Trash Panda was one of the best performers at the ear on semi-autos, and according to Dead Air (who are trustworthy on this stuff, at least so far) the Nomad will beat it by 1-2db. So the Nomad is still the way to go as far as we know.

And usually 3db is a clearly perceptable difference, but some can tell less. More importantly, every 1db less is less cumulative hearing damage.

I just ordered my first can and choose the TBAC ultra 7 30 cal. If you want less db get the 9. I just went with the 7 cause that’s what the local shop would be getting in first. My buddy has the harvester and I think for the price it’s a great can just wanted little more out of mine.
Watched a video of TBAC shooting at 700 yards with a 260 having a three inch group taking the suppressor on and off.

I think you could pick any of the top contenders out there and be happy. All of them have their perks one way or another. Keep in mind I’m new to this suppressor stuff as well only been around the SiCo harvester.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holliday
I just ordered my first can and choose the TBAC ultra 7 30 cal. If you want less db get the 9. I just went with the 7 cause that’s what the local shop would be getting in first. My buddy has the harvester and I think for the price it’s a great can just wanted little more out of mine.
Watched a video of TBAC shooting at 700 yards with a 260 having a three inch group taking the suppressor on and off.

I think you could pick any of the top contenders out there and be happy. All of them have their perks one way or another. Keep in mind I’m new to this suppressor stuff as well only been around the SiCo harvester.
So, in my small collection I have a SiCo Hybrid, DA Sandman S & K, and six TBACs. The TBAC fit and finish are consistently superior.
For a qd mount, Dead Air's Key Mount is great. I converted my Hybrid from ASR to Key-Mo.
For total flexibility, the Hybrid is good. Can mount on everything from 45 ACP, 300 WM, to 45-70. Had a sleeve separation and had to re-rockset the baffle stack in.
For your application, the Omega, Nomad, or Sandman would be a good economy solution. A TBAC Ultra is the premium option, as long as you aren't doing abusive FA mag dumps.
Buy once , cry once, wait once.

Nomad and any other variation of a takedown suppressor will not only have a major poi shift but it will also continually change. Of all my suppressors, the sig 762srd ti is my quietest, favorite, and shows the least amount of poi. I also love my Q Full Nelson but have learned since that I really don’t like their company nor customer service. Just my opinion.

Nomad and any other variation of a takedown suppressor will not only have a major poi shift but it will also continually change. Of all my suppressors, the sig 762srd ti is my quietest, favorite, and shows the least amount of poi. I also love my Q Full Nelson but have learned since that I really don’t like their company nor customer service. Just my opinion.

Uh false...I use keymo on 3 cans across 6 calibers on multiple hosts. Poi shit is not major and is always repeatable.

Reactions: Potss
Not going to argue here. Mine is always 3 1/4” min. That’s major to me.

That's your can on your barrel. I would agree that is a huge shift but there are literally thousands of precision rifle shooters using various suppressor qd systems without issue both in recreation and in competition. To blanket claim that all qd systems will have major shifts that continually change is nosense.

That's your can on your barrel. I would agree that is a huge shift but there are literally thousands of precision rifle shooters using various suppressor qd systems without issue both in recreation and in competition. To blanket claim that all qd systems will have major shifts that continually change is nosense.
I’m so sorry. Please let me clarify.... My Sig is the qd version. Quick detach. Not direct threat. That’s not what I’m talking about! Any suppressor that carries end caps and internal baffles that can be removed, cleaned, change in orientation, create poi shift. Any and every suppressor creates poi shift. That’s not opinion. That’s fact. Every variable that can be changed to the orientation or timing of that suppressors internals will create a difference in poi shift. Given that I have every version of suppressors from fully welded baffle and core, removable mono core, 3-OSS helix design, replaceable end caps, single cores with removable baffles and so on. The quietest and most reliable repeatable poi shift is a single wall fully welded. Shooting competition benchrest long range will always tell that truth. I have several guys I shoot with that have suppressors that can be variable or taken down, but we don’t. We tighten those suppressors down and dedicate them to a gun. When something is changed, you have to go back and tune your zero.

Vote for the Omega and various mounts. I run mine with the ASR and direct thread. I find minimal POI with can on or off. The ASR gets a bad rap but I've used that setup on my 260rem match gun and have had no trouble holding 1/2moa past 6-700yds. I also believe that the can with ASR mount and a brake makes the report softer and quieter versus the direct thread. I also run a SiCO Hybrid on several guns, and I've found it to be just a larger version of my omega. Great accuracy from multiple rifles with the added benefit of pistol or large bore uses.

Hey Guys,

Looking to pick up my 1st rifle can and am really looking for the best all around can. My hosts are as follows:

Ruger 308 Predator with 18" barrel - Hunting rig
Ruger 308 Precision
300 blackout semi auto- future purchase 8.5-10" barrel
556 semi auto - 16" barrel

I am really considering the YHM Resonator but not thrilled with the look of the muzzle brake and like the omega various mounting options (keymo, asr, direct, 419)

My biggest concern is obviously sound reduction and POI shift as I will not be using the can 100 percent of the time.

Thoughts?
My thoughts would be go with the dead air sandman series Either the S or the L I love the l it sounds great and the return to zero is amazing once I zero the rifle the is no difference when taking off and remounting the can. Due to there qd system

My thoughts would be go with the dead air sandman series Either the S or the L I love the l it sounds great and the return to zero is amazing once I zero the rifle the is no difference when taking off and remounting the can. Due to there qd system
+1 if you want QD the Key Mo is the way to go, only other QD I like is Q’s cherry bomb but you’d have to get their can or a SilencerCo, neither are bad choices either.

You can get Key Mo or Cherry Bomb for SiCo cans like the Saker and Omega. If you do choose either of those, ditch the ASR if it comes with it.