• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

help pick out rings for my MKII TR please

Baron Von Flavo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
CT.
I made this thread earlier
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...180#Post1675180
asking for help and got a lot of fantastic information. Thanks for that guys. I am having a hard time getting a straight answer on what rings to get though. I figured I would make a new thread since this is a very specific question that isn't getting answered.

this is my scope.
Tasco varmint 6-24
The rifle is a MKII TR
If you know what kind of rings I actually need to mount my scope would you please post a link for me.
This probably seems like a stupid request. I am however close to clueless on the subject. If you have any questions on modifying your VW I am your man to ask. The rifle thing though. Brand new.
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it very much.
Mike
whistle.gif

Re: help pick out rings for my MKII TR please

I have the same rifle. I put a Simmons 6.5-20x50 on mine using Weaver extra high Quad rings. you should be alright using high rings in the Weaver Quads. They will hold the scope very well and not cost you an arm and a leg. Walmart usually has them for around $10.

strange.
In the previous thread I was told by another user that the weavers didnt work on this gun and that he thought I should use a picatinny mount instead. ?? Very confusing indeed.

I have some new Leupy Mk 4 high rings for sale for 105$ shipped to your door, pm me if interested.
-Felipe

well I will be going to pick the gun up today so I will know for sure. Maybe they used different mounts on different rifles? It is a new model and stranger things have happened.
I will post a pic for you guys in a bit.

Thanks
smile.gif

Flavo the weaver quad locks wouldn't tighten up on my base's not sure if the bases are undersized or the rings oversized, but I had to file the rings down. Also the cross bolt didn't fit the slots cut into the bases they had alot of play front to back. After I filed the rings and bumped the rings out on the bases it seems to lock down. I'm gonna order a RT 25 moa base and new rings once I get caught up alittle.

This is exactly why I needed help. I went cabellas and picked up a set of rings. 1/2 way figuring that they would be getting returned. Although the box didn't say weaver, they looked the same as all the other weavers I had picked up. They looked like a better ring though then the rest of the cheap crap. I didnt want to spend $60 on rings either and not even know if they would work.

All seemed good until I tried to tighten the rings down. The screws are set as far as they will go and the scope still has movement.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks, Mike

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

The bases should be fine.

Loosen the torx screws on the top of the rings, then tighten the base screws, then retighten the top.

you've got a sequence issue here.

The point of contact between the base halves is a pivot point, you have to tightern the base torx screws first then the top.

I just set up a rifle last week with factory Savage bases and those Warne rings

^^^^exactly, when you have the split type of rings that you have there, when you tighten the top, it starts to "unsqueeze" at the bottom, essentially "unloosing" or "unpinching" it's grip on the bottom with the base.

although those warnes are a top shelf ring, that's one reason why i never liked that type of style of ring. you start to counteract what you did on the bottom when you start tightening the top.

be carefull not to crush the scope tube.

i don't why the weaver style quad locks didn't work on the weaver style bases that come with the rifle. they should be a perfect fit.

if you get the picatinny base, expect some travel forward and backward on the base as the pic. slots are a little wider. so push the front ring forward or backward until it bumps up against the ridge. then do the same with the rear, but in the opposite direction of how you bumped up the fronts. this will help stop the traveling by locking them in place bumped up against the ridges.

If you look closely @ his pics it looks like the rings are as tight as they can go I might be wrong but thats what it looks like to me. Here's what I had to do to the Weaver Quad Locks to get them to tighten to the base.
000_0814.jpg

000_0813.jpg

You can see the silver where I had to file the rings they are aluminium so it wasn't a big deal. Also with the ring just snug they would still move back and forth in the cross slots so I moved them out front and back before I tightened them down. Hope this helps

So I ended up taking roughly a 64th of an inch off of the ring base. That allowed me to tighten up the scope nicely.
Is this a flaw on the part of savage? Being new to guns I don't know what to expect to from build quality. That doesnt seem like something that should fly coming from a $450 rimfire though.

Now onto top predators scope zeroing thread
grin.gif

OK just got off the phone with Savage and was told they did get a run of bases in that are undersized. There will send a replacement set out if you need them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK just got off the phone with Savage and was told they did get a run of bases in that are undersized. There will send a replacement set out if you need them. </div></div>

ahh that solves that. at least they admitted it and will do good by you. even they should have publicized or contacted their rifle owners about it.

just in case i come across this, and taking the "split ring" situation as described above out of the equation, rather than filing the rings, do you think that shimming the sides of the rings and or bases with something thin like a trimmed piece of aluminum soda can may have worked.

obviously getting the replacement bases is the way to go, but in a moment of desperation and frustration, do you suppose the can would work?

If you cut yourself a really small piece and pre-bent it. I don't see why it wouldn't.

That is pretty poor on savages part. To just try and pretend like nothing happened. As a first time rifle buyer it will certainly make me look else where when I purchase the next rifle.

TP I didn't mic the base before and after I filed them but I'm thinking I took more than that off of them. Flavo yes it's a shame there isn't more quality control but when I called they did acknowledge there is a problem and are more then willing to take care of it. I doubt they make the base and can tell you from being in retail for my whole life this stuff happens everyday and not just on a $400 rifle but on items that sell for a hell of alot more. I would still highly recommend Savage especially the TR