• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

help rifle selection

kh402308

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
southeast ohio
i need help selecting a rifle that suits my needs. i already have on very nice highly modifided ruger rifle in 308 campable of 800 yard accuracy but id like to procure a second rifle that can be precise at 600 yards out of the box i would prefer a left handed rifle that can be shot right handed it needs to be light weight and 300win mag or 308 caliber thanks in advance for your help

Re: help rifle selection

man i hope not, i am not trying to start a running argument, just trying to help the guy out before he gets turned off to this site because of the thin skinned disease. Ill take my steak medium rare, did you get those parts yet? Shoot me a pm

Alaskaman, if you bought highlife, can you save the code for me? Trying for 9000 points for the sweatshirt next. Thanks

To contribute a little...I bought a Savage for said purpose.

KH, I see from your post count that you are a "newbie", so grow a thick skin because as with most internet sites, some people on here act in ways they never would in a face to face conversation.
You might wish to look at:

http://www.savagearms.com/10flcp.htm

Despite the photo, it is left handed.

As well as being out of the box very accurate, you can buy even better aftermarket barrels and install them yourself!

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

Good luck, put on your "Fritz" and flak vest.

ok maybe i wasnt very specific but im looking for a rifle in either above caliber and id really like to stay away from the 700 footprint i have dealt with the 700 platform and am not impressed. what are the major differences between the savage and tikka rifles and what is the quality difference or would the winchester stealth be a better choice

From what I've read, the Savage seems to be the best "out of box" accuracy. Savage is rather inexpensive which is nice. If you decide you want to go a different way, you aren't out a bunch of money.

KH, I wouldnt suggest a 300WM because your essentialy buying more power for shorter range...makes no sense right?

Why do you need 2 rifles capable of the same thing?
If you want something up-scale a bit, sell your Ruger and pick up a nice 700 or Templar/Surgeon/Stiller/B.O. build.

the problem with my ruger is that as i said before its highly modifed to the fact were it is mainly a target gun ie (really freakin heavy)it is a sub moa target rifle that fulfills it need well but i want something more portable that can be used for tactical purposes but moreover the occasional groundhog or larger game. and also the ruger with its wood stock makes it less durable then what i would really like to acquire. im just trying to decide on a platform