• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Help with $400 scope, rings, and base choice.

jtl0101

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2012
NW Arkansas
I am looking for optics for my new Stevens 200 in .308. It will mainly be for shooting paper and probably max at 400 yards. I was going to buy the weaver grand slam 3-10, but I guess I missed the sale at midway. So I am debating whether I wait for another sale on the Weaver or buy the Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x or the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 that is on sale right now. My budget is $350 and the EGW base and rings will take up about $100 of that. If there is a big jump in quality from a $250 to a $300 scope I would be willing to up my budget.

I am also open to suggestions on other scopes in the $300 and less range that you guys recommend.

Re: Help with $400 scope, rings, and base choice.

EGW rail and Grand Slam rings is my preferred set up, very durable, My current set up though has leupold 30mm vertical split rings in silver, since it matches my setup better than the grand slam rings and didn't cost a fortune like other silver/nickel rings (I know, looks aren't everything, but I like my rifle to look as good as it shoots
wink.gif
). You should also look into the millett trs-1 or the nikon buckmaster, I think they're the best bang for your buck scopes in their price range, and both are rather different.

Okay, I have narrowed it down to a few and have been reading as much as I can, but can't decide on one yet.

SS 10x = #300
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 mil dot off of SWFA's used scopes $300
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 x 40 mil dot = $275
Weaver Grand Slam 3-10 X 40 mil dot = $300 (wait for next sale)

Final option = keep using my cheap simmons blazer and practicing until a good sale comes up in the next couple months. I realistically will only get out shooting maybe once a month anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you should get this , i doubt your stevens 200 can outshoot this scope, this guy says 175 price includes shipping.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267329846

the 3200 10x40 is a pretty good scope , hard to beat for the money </div></div>

Heck yeah, that's a great deal right there. Pick that up, then you're go a little more money for rings and base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Millet TRS-1, EGW Picatinny base and Weaver Grand Slam 30mm rings put you just under $400 and is a solid set up.</div></div>
I have this same set up on a .308. I went with the 6 hole rings

I would go with the Monarch for the money/warranty its tough to beat. SS will give you more adjustment but at 400 yards it wont matter.

UPDATE:

I found slightly used Bushnell 3200 10x fixed for $120 shipped.
Bought EGW base ($37) and Burris Xtreme Tactical rings ($55) and Butler Creek flip up caps ($17). Total cost $229.

Since I got the good deal on the scope I went ahead and purchased the Rifle Basix trigger upgrade ($85).

This should get me started and give me a chance to see if I am serious about this type of shooting before I spend to much money. Thanks for your input everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoshAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE:

I found slightly used Bushnell 3200 10x fixed for $120 shipped.
Bought EGW base ($37) and Burris Xtreme Tactical rings ($55) and Butler Creek flip up caps ($17). Total cost $229.

Since I got the good deal on the scope I went ahead and purchased the Rifle Basix trigger upgrade ($85).

This should get me started and give me a chance to see if I am serious about this type of shooting before I spend to much money. Thanks for your input everyone.</div></div>

great start! you'll like that trigger I have the 1 pound on my 700 and its great