• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Help with Tikka accuracy

ultra12

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
I have a Tikka varmint in 223. I bought it used with about 300 rounds trough it. I was sighting it in at 100 yards with Nikon monarch and usin privi ammo and Remington 55gr. It wasn't grouping as tight as I would like. It was def more than 1inch apart but not by much. I had no problem hitting both 6 and 9 inch steel plate at 200 yards. I would want to make it a varming rifle and perhaps my first gun for local competition shooting. I am planing to spend money in this gun (scope leupold/vortex/ zeiss and most likely a complete chassis). I don't want to invest 2k in to a gun that will not be worth it. I know Tikkas are great and I do own a sako ( my hunting gun in 3006)so I know it's quality but before I dump money in to it I would like to improve accuracy. I am thinking its either ammo / stock or gun. I did shoot using a vice. So no human error. I couldn't find havier bullets and hopping my gun will like them more due to 1:8 twist.

Now as far a stocks. I would like to have one aluminum block but B&C doesn't make them for bbl. the ones that do make stocks that accept bbl mostly don't have an aluminum block and with all the options cost as much as xlr and whiskey 3 chassis. So might as well get a chassis since it will come with most bells and whistles. But once again 800$+ investment to a gun that so far is marginally accurate.

Anyone have any thoughts? Btw gun is as good as new not obused and taken care off.

Re: Help with Tikka accuracy

The ammo you are using may not shoot better than that. Also a "vice" will not show the true potential of the gun, as the gun will not recoil properly. Get some sandbags.

Try some Federal Gold Medal Match 77gr, Black Hills also makes several loads that may shoot.

You may have to hand load ammo to get the accuracy you want.

My Tikka Varmint .223 (and several buddie's Tikka's) will shoot handloaded ammo into unbelievably tiny groups.

Get some heavier grain bullets and I can almost guarantee your groups will tighten up. The 1:8 twist loves heavier grain bullets look for some 75-77gr you'll be smiling ear to ear.

Thanks you I was starting to get nervous.any recommendations on new stock ?or jut save money by doing it right and getting a chassis ?

For "mag length" stuff mine liked the Black Hills blue box 68gr HP. Will shoot in the .6 and .7's. I handloand so I put on the CDI bottom metal and now I can mag feed 75gr Amax which it loves. Haven't tried anything heavier yet as I'm happy with the 75gr.

The 1/8 223 T3 lite I have annoyed me for quite a while.
I then chopped the barrel to 20" which didn't change that much either.
Fitted a good stock but this all only improved in small steps.
Sako 55gr sp ammo went slightly under an inch, Fiocchi 55gr SP US made seemed the best "lighter" factory ammo which printed around 1/2". My favourite now are 69gr Nos Custom Match & 25.5 gr Varget. Do around 2890fps.
In the meantime I grew quite fond of my T3, although it took me half a year to get it right.

Three ~200m cubs & a crow taken at 426m
edi
Image0211.jpg

Image0253.jpg

Mine sits in an RCS II, can't go wrong with the chassis.
Manners, XLR, Roedale and Whiskey-3 all inlet for the T3, so you've got a bit of choice.

And seconded on the ammo, i made that mistake too when i first got mine. Feed it the right stuff and it'll shoot lights out all day.

Strart off small try diffrent ammo see what she likes. reloading will insure the smallest of the groups. Then make sure the scope is on youre rifle. Ive had them losen. even the screws on the stock can be lose. after all that check in to a diffrent stock and a good rifle cleaning will not hurt. rifle cleaning first

I've got a T3 Varmint in 22-250 that groups within a half inch if I do my part. That's with handloaded ammo.

As others have suggested, try some different ammo first, and firing off of sandbags.

Last year I had a Nikon Monarch scope that wouldn't hold zero. Very frustrating, but Nikon eventually replaced the scope for me.

My 223 tikka loves Black hills 60 grain vmax.

It does not shoot over 70 gr or under 60 gr very well.

Match loads SUCK.

But the re-manufactured Black hills shoots into the .3s . . . so its hard to complain.
grin.gif

BMT