• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt FFP

Mr Flannel

Self-Licking Icecream
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Gents

Can anyone offer any comment on the Hensoldt 4-16x56 front focal plane model, in terms of the thickness of the mil-dot reticle lines at max magnification.

For reference, I've used S&B FFP with the P4 fine, both on 4-16x and 5-25x models - and I found them to be a little thick at max mag.

Am considering purchasing a Hensoldt, so would appreciate any views offered. Lot of money to drop without being 100% sure.

Would be good if they offered the turrets in CCW as well. Anyone know if this is available as an option?

Cheers

Re: Hensoldt FFP

I'll drop Nathan a line. Cheers

Thanks FB, I saw Lowlight's review, which was excellent - but couldn't find any comment on the issues I raised in my post.

Some may call me fussy, but the little things start to matter quite a lot as the price tag marches north of $3K

I have looked thru a few of Nathans Hensoldt scopes at the range we shot at and they are very good optics. The crosshair are a whole lot finer than the scope I have now. I have been using a Zeiss Conquest FFP and the reticle gets queit large (at 500 yards it will cover a 5 1/2" caldwell target. I just set-up were I hold off to the left of the target some and down. They sight picture looks like the vertical line is on right edge of target and the horizonal line at bottom of target.

You will not be disappointed with there optics the spotter 60 is the best glass I have ever seen. We could spot .223 hole at 440y in a pouring down rain.

If you find a P4Fine to be thick at Max Magnification you'll have an issue... its about the same reticle as a standard P3 from S&B, which to say they designed for shooting a man sized target and not for precision target shooting. So, if the reticle thickness is your major concern, you'll have issue, especially when compared to a P4F reticle.

The Hensoldt is just as thick as a P3, or standard P4.

Interesting, thanks.

Not fussed about fine target work, that's not the application this scope will be used for. Am concerned really from the viewpoint of the crosshair obscuring too much of a man-sized target at 800+ meters, or partially obscured targets.

I might go for the 2FP model, which will range (I assume) easily at 2 settings (half and full mag). Wonder if it's the same reticle in the 2FP..?

I think so, I don't think they do it differently because they don't look at shooting sub moa targets at 800 with a combat optic.

So, chances of finding something in a reticle from anyone other than NF that is thin enough (considering you have issue with a P4F) is going to be a tough one.

In my operating manual for the 4-16x56FF the line width is mentioned to be 0,5cm/100m and the broad centering bars is 4cm/100m. I have used the S&B 3-12x50 p4 and i personally think that the hensoldt reticle is a bit finer. It is a very good scope that i have been very fond of. Must addmit that it took me four days to discover that you turn the illumination knob either way to turn the light on, but you PRESS the knob to turn the light off. Should have read the manual to begin with.

I just purchased on of these scopes. I run the S&B's with the p4 fine reticles in all of them. I really liked the optics and design of the scope, but the crosshairs were just too thick for my taste. I returned the scope for another Schmidt.

Priest,

You just discovered the one weakness of FFP varible scopes. In an FFP reticle scope, in order for a reticle to be useful (defined as being able to be seen) at lower power, in consequence it makes it thick at high power.

Which is why SFP reticles first replaced FFP reticles way back in the 1960's and 70's. There is just no way to design a FFP reticle to be fine at high x and be still seen low x.

However, the advantages of a FFP over a SPF in a ranging reticle are worth the trade off's, IMHO. And there are always trade off's, whether you choose SFP or FFP.

Or you could just go with a fixed power scope; no FFP vs SFP problems, also no power change. Just a simple and robust design.

Pick your poison.

Bob

Here are a few pics for comparison. The pic through the Hensoldt was done a few hours before the Schmidt in the morning hours.

The shell sign is 998 yards away.

First pic is through the Hensoldt 4-16 FFP on 16X.

Second pic is through the Schmidt & Bender 5-25 FFP P4F set on 16X.

Brady

3995772951_41f46ee621_o.jpg

3996533282_5cbf0e8238_o.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are a few pics for comparison. The pic through the Hensoldt was done a few hours before the Schmidt in the morning hours.

The shell sign is 998 yards away.

First pic is through the Hensoldt 4-16 FFP on 16X.

Second pic is through the Schmidt & Bender 5-25 FFP P4F set on 16X.

Brady

3995772951_41f46ee621_o.jpg

3996533282_5cbf0e8238_o.jpg
</div></div>

I gotta hand it to ya Chris, you can definitely take some really good through the scope pics. sre you holding free-hand or do you use some sort of attachment? What camera/settings do you use

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't seem like it is an ideal comparison as the S&B would have a thicker reticle set on full magnification? Perhaps comparing it to a 4-16 S&B would be a better choice? </div></div>
The P4F reticle has the same angular subtention in an S&B 4-16x and 5-25x PMII, and at any magnification. The comparison that SWFA presented was a good one and very useful.

Yep, it's all a trade-off - and those photos are excellent for comparison purposes. I like the FFP principle but perhaps, for me, they're best used in a mid-magnification range ~10-15x.

On my 2FP scopes, I tend to wind my mag setting all the way up (mirage permitting) for long range and have happily been able to add lead/wind and hold-over with the reticle. When the target is way out there, I'm unlikely to take a shot in a hurry, give all the variables (movement, wind, etc.) and my relative ability (middling) For everything else, I have a 'default' mag setting of about half-way, where I can still use the reticle, albeit with different values - trouble is that under pressure, you can come unstuck when you forget that the distance between mil-dots/stadia lines/whatever has changed.

Anyway, many thanks.

Yes, understood - I'm not looking for an ultra-thin reticle, still want something that stands out. I've been behind a Zeiss Diavari before, with the #43 (mil-dot) reticle. That's a SFP scope and the reticle is fine.

Pity Zeiss/Hensoldt don't offer a GenII type mildot. That would be a big selling point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I gotta hand it to ya Chris, you can definitely take some really good through the scope pics. sre you holding free-hand or do you use some sort of attachment? What camera/settings do you use </div></div>

Free hand no attachments.

Just basic settings, nothing fancy. Did have it on macro though. Don't know much camera lingo
wink.gif

Brady

Somebody asked if the reticle of the Hensoldt scope in SFP is the same as in SFP. I have one in SFP an no it is not the same. Differences are: The dots in SPF have a 0.15 mrad hole in them and the "thick" line one the outer edges are not thick but hollow.