Hey Guys I need some help with Redding dies....

AtownBcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Aledo, Texas
I just bought(lightly used) a set of competition bushing neck die and the competition seater. There was however no instructions and I have looked on the redding web page but couldn't find the set up instructions. So anyone who could share the set up instructions, would be very helpful.
Second I did not recieve any bushings with them so i have a new toy i can't do much with right now. I do not have a ball mircometer but do have a set of calipers. My loaded rounds measured .334. Is this measurement close enough to buy a bushing? Also I have heard that it is ok to go anywhere for .001 to .010 for neck tension(i guess in my case it would be bushings than range from .334 to .324.) This seams like a pertty big gap and was hopeing someone could tell me what has worked for them. My necks are not turned but i will buy a forester unit on Saturday.
here are some details:300WM,Winchester Brass,180 gr Accubond,Currently using lee collet neck die(i like this die but the decapper rod in the FL die was giving me some problems.)If you need any more details please let me know.

Re: Hey Guys I need some help with Redding dies....

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

If you are going to turn your necks, do that before you buy bushings. Then seat a bullet and measure. Go .002 under for bolt and .003 under for autoloaders. (In my experience). If you are not going to turn for a specified neck, then mike your lot of brass and do the same. What is your fired neck diameter? If something like .343 or .345 (or more), and your seated bullet necks mike out at .334, then get a couple of intermediate bushings and stepwise size the necks of the fired cases down to .332. Such bushings as .340 and .336, then down to .332. JMHO

Thanks for the replys. The instructions that were posted were from the standard dies. The competition dies have a spring loaded sleave or collar. I still dont know how these should be set up.

Way to much .005 is the max about .003 for bolts .004 for auto's seems pretty standard

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 918v</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.010" neck tension is just plain excessive. </div></div>

The seater is not hard to set up. Screw it in until the die touches the shell holder, and the spring loaded sleeve is completely pushed in. Now, try to orient the micrometer so it is facing towards you. To zero the micrometer, there is a hole in the top that accepts a hex key. Turning clockwise screws down without changing the micrometer reading. For some odd reason mine doesn't work, but it is supposed to. I played with the die itself until I got a zero reading at my OAL to the lands, as measured from the ogive.

If you are planning on feeding the ammo from a mag then go .003" under. If you are single feeding on the bench then you can go with as little as .001". Unless you are trying to get benchrest accuracy out of a gun I doubt you will ever see any difference between the two.