• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hodgdon Clays in Glock 34

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
Was load testing Sunday and found a really light recoiling and accurate handload using Clays, 3.7gr with a 124gr. plated bullet.This is a max load, and I got 1027fps out of it, no pressure signs. I was thinking about pushing it another .2 grains.
There is very limited info on Clays for 9mm, witch leads me to believe that this powder is too fast, pressure sensitive, or temp sensitive to use regularly in 9mm. Anyone use this combo? It's really nice shooting & I want it to work, but I also value my health.

Re: Hodgdon Clays in Glock 34

I thought I read somewhere that Clays was a poor choice for the 9, and maybe even dangerous but I don't remember where I read that.

Clays leaves no room for error, in 9mm. I personally wouldn't push it over max, myself. You are correct on the soft shooting part, great powder for recoil sensitive shooters!

DON'T USE CLAYS IN 9MM.

Switch to Accurate's Solo 1000. It is much safer.

I toyed with Clays in 9mm. Never again. Nothing less than a max load would even cycle my gun.

Clays is great in .45. It has also blown up more guns of all calibers than perhaps any powder besides Bullseye.

Stay the hell away from Clays in 9mm. It is not well suited to small cases, short overall lengths, etc.

If you want a fast powder for 124 grain 9mm, use 4 grains of Solo 1000 or find a published load for Accurate Arms #2.

And whatever you do, don't even try to work above max with Clays in 9mm. It is very sensitive in a small case like that and even a .2 grain increase could take you from 40k PSI to 60k. Definitely not a good idea!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clays works great for mild to medium loads in 9mm,40 and 45.

I use it in 9mm and 40 for my steel loads.

Steve </div></div>

I guess I should be more more specific.

These loads were used in my 1911's with 8-9 lb slide springs.I made the loads up for the plate rack stages at the American Handgunner world shootoff.
The 9mm was 110 power factor and the 40 was 115 power factor.

For this application Clays is perfect.It provides good load density and I've never had a single problem out of 40,000 or so shots.

I never got close to a hot load with clays in 9mm or 40 because there are other suitable powders for such and didn't imply that it be attempted.

Steve

130 power factor is not a "hot" load with most powders out of the book for 9mm, and it is downright dangerous with Clays, especially with heavier bullets.

By "hot" I mean "pressure signs" not velocity!

A 130 power factor in 9mm is a "light" load for slow burning powders like AA-7,AA-9 and the others in that burn rate.130PF is average for medium burn rate powders and 130PF is a hot load for the fast powders.

The OP asked if it could be used.Yes it can.As stated in my earlier posts.

I did allot of winning using Clays and never had any problems with it.It works fine for a reduced velocity load.Just using common sense is all.

Steve

I have gone through 5+ lbs of it in .45 in the last few years (enough to make over 9,000 rounds). I am a big fan of Clays, it just doesn't belong in a 9mm, period.

As I stated before, in a small case like 9mm, even a very minor change in seating depth or charge can have a very large change in pressure. That is why using a fast burning, double base powder like Clays is no good in such a small case. That is also why load data for 9mm with Clays is pretty scarce, especially with heavier bullets.

Yes it can be done, but it's a poor choice. I wouldn't use Clays for .40 Major, either.

Clays is a great powder, but the reloader needs to be aware that it has blown up more guns than (probably) any other powder. Be aware of it and be careful.

Well, I know now that I will not load over the max load, 3.7gr Clays, 124gr plated. In my G34, there were no pressure signs with this load. I will resume testing during the summer & try to test on a 98f day, & drop the charge down a little. Maybe by then I will pick up some more 45. pills. Thanks all for the urgent warnings.