• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hodgdon SUPERformance

swrhodd

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2010
Oklahoma
I bought a can of this and one for my father-in-law. Just wondering if anyone has used it and what they think. I plan on using it in 6mm Rem. w/90-100gr. bullets & 30/06 w/165-180gr. bullets as of right now. Thanks for any info.

Re: Hodgdon SUPERformance

Thanks, I have looked at their website earlier before but that powder should be useful in more than just a handful or cartridges. I am just wondering if someone as experimented with the powder in their own load setup. Another thing is that I am upset with Hornady rushing out their newest reloading manual w/minimal useful info for the new powder. But oh well, I guess just sit and wait for some new info from Hodgdon or Hornady.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWRhodd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a can of this and one for my father-in-law. Just wondering if anyone has used it and what they think. I plan on using it in 6mm Rem. w/90-100gr. bullets & 30/06 w/165-180gr. bullets as of right now. Thanks for any info. </div></div>

I looked at a bottle of Superformance at BassPro two weeks ago and passed on it. At $29/#, I could stomach the high price, but there were only 3 cartridges listed.

I know Hodgdon/Hornady are coming out with more cartridge data, but when I can get RL-17 for a buck less, simply by bending over and grabbing it off the lower shelf, I'm going to do that.

I'd rather try 2000MR (MR2000?) than Superformance, but Bass didn't have that specific powder.

Chris

Diddo, I snagged it for 22.99 but havent had a chance to load test yet.
I plan to test it with 243WSSM, .243 Win and 6mm Rem

I have had encouraging results so far with superformance from a velocity and consistency of velocity standpoint. It meters extremely well, and velocity is sub 15 ES. I'm still working to build a load with it on my 6.5 CM.

Bryan-Thanks for the encouraging numbers.

Here in the next couple of weeks I am going to find a load for '06. Hopefully I can get the velocity I want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diddo, I snagged it for 22.99 but havent had a chance to load test yet.
I plan to test it with 243WSSM, .243 Win and 6mm Rem </div></div>

Any results yet with your 243WSSM? I'm still testing Superformance and 80-gr TTSX with my A-Bolt Varmint Stalker. I load to hunt and want the rounds to fit in my mag, so they're loaded to 2.220" OAL. Using 51.8 gr Superformance I got 3769fps during my ladder test (last three steps all exceeded 3700). Next dozen grouped ~0.6" @ 100yds. Admittedly, this seems way too fast compared to Hodgdon's website data, but the chrony was recording factory 300WM loads from my BAR at expected vels, so I don't think it was the chrony. Anyways, load was

Winchester nickel-plated brass (once fired, neck sized)
WLR primer
51.8 gr Superformance
80-gr TTSX
COL 2.220"
A-Bolt Varmint Stalker (Nightforce 3.5-15x56 Varminter)

I'll pass along more data as I gather it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tempting but Hodgdon has stated that <span style="font-weight: bold">only the cartridges they have data for</span> should be loaded.

6MM should be fine. As far as I have seen there is no data for the 30-06, burn rate extrapolation notwithstanding.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/SuperLever.pdf</div></div>

Hornady's 8th Edition reloading manual lists some 30-06 load data for Superformance with 150-gr to 220-gr bullets on pp 526-529. It's not impressive vels at all - slower or on par with other powders - but they don't claim the speed gains in 30-06 either. I've shot Superformance in my 243WSSM and it's won me over in that cartidge.

PAW73507,

Have you loaded anything for you 243 win yet? I'm just starting to look at loading for mine and was planning on varget but if you think it's worth it from your your experiences I'd give it a try. What does the 8th edition have in it for 243 win and superformance powder behind a Hornedy 95 gr SST?

Thanks.

For everyone's benefit/awareness, I called Hodgdon a few weeks back about their plans for releasing Superformance blends in the future. The rep told me that they're watching to see how the current powder sells and will make a decision later on releasing other versions of Superformance. "Next year at the earliest" was all I could get from him, and no hint of what blend might be next.

Personally, I've been impressed with the factory Superformance loads in 300WM, as the 150-gr GMX was shooting 220fps faster in my BAR than a Win 150-gr XP3. Even the Federal 130-gr TTSX was shooting under advertised vels. Only the SF 150-gr GMX exceeded their claims on the box. Using the available powder in 243WSSM, I've loaded it a bit hot, but saw 3769fps on my chrony with 80-gr TTSXs in 243WSSM.

My advice, let Hodgdon know that you'd like to see Superformance released for your favorite rifle(s). Make enough noise, maybe they'll do something.

Paul

Great powder but very cartridge specific. Had no luck with the 22-250 50gr. ballistic tip, velocity was a little better than the 4064 but accuracy was not impressive. However in the 243 WSSM and the 300 WSM both accuracy and velocity were great. Just don't buy the Superformance expecting it to be great for a wide range of calibers, but if you shoot the 243 WSSM or 300 WSM it works great. Here are my personal favorites, note you can load them hotter but I try to get the most accurate load possible. These numbers are shot from a Caldwell Lead Sled with a F1 Chrony.

243 WSSM
Rifle: Custom Win 70
Gr. 46.5
Bullet: 95gr CT Ballistic Silvertip
Velocity: 3150 fps
Barrel: 22"
3 Shot Accuracy: 5/8" @ 100

300 WSM
Rifle: Custom Rem 700
Gr. 72.5
Bullet: 150gr CT Ballistic Silvertip/150 Gr Accubond
Velocity: 3190 fps