Hornady or RCBS micrometer bullet seating tool?

yo-yo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2024
CO
Does anyone have experience with either of these die sets (Hornady or RCBS), utilizing the micrometer bullet seating tool? I bought the Hornady set, though after opening it, I'm a little surprised that it doesn't look all that extravagant for the price. The RCBS feels like it has a bit better construction to it. I am considering returning it for the RCBS, but I initially hesitated on more RCBS products after we broke a couple RCBS dies for the .338 Lapua recently.

The Hornady ends up requiring the purchase of their full length die set (I think you can get either the Custom Grade or Match Grade), and then unscrewing the top of the bullet seating tool - and screwing on the new micrometer end. Either way, they seem to be about the same price in the end.

I just wondered if anyone has any impressions of each they could share.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 3.06.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 3.06.03 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 3.02.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 3.02.07 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 2.59.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 2.59.25 PM.png
    465.5 KB · Views: 43
What Hornady set did you get? They sell one with a micrometer seater. The picture you posted is their new click adjustment seater addition.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 172159.jpg

I bought the basic one (Custom Grade) that doesn’t have that steel-colored micrometer tool included (that must be the Match Grade). The Custom Grade allows you to remove the head (no micrometer) and install this fancy red micrometer.

Yes that is the match grade set. If you wanted the micrometer you should have bought that but you can still replace it with either the one in the pic or the red click version you posted.

Yes that is the match grade set. If you wanted the micrometer you should have bought that but you can still replace it with either the one in the pic or the red click version you posted.
Yeah, I didn’t buy that one on purpose, because I could get the Custom Grade kit plus the fancy red-colored micrometer together, for the same price as that match set. But, having said that, the Match set has the adjustable neck bushings that I’d like to try too. I’m curious what the RCBS set is like. I’m wondering if the construction is better?

Yeah, I didn’t buy that one on purpose, because I could get the Custom Grade kit plus the fancy red-colored micrometer together, for the same price as that match set. But, having said that, the Match set has the adjustable neck bushings that I’d like to try too. I’m curious what the RCBS set is like. I’m wondering if the construction is better?

It’s not. I have had both of those sets and both load fine ammo but if you want a full length bushing die then return what you have and get one. You will also have to buy bushings with them. Measure a loaded pice of brass at the neck and subtract .002” and that should be the right bushing size but some like to try a little more neck tension so you can get one .003” smaller also.

I have three Hornady seater dies with that older micrometer on top. It does just fine for me, but my favorite micrometer seating dies are Forster, I like those better. I’ve never used the RCBS micrometer seater. As far as bushing dies go, I have Forster and Redding and both have worked well for me. After I bought my first Forster micrometer seater, I have not bought any more Hornadys. For what it’s worth, I do not like the Hornady resizing dies, the Forster and Redding dies turn out better ammo for me. The Hornady seaters with a micrometer are decent and not worth upgrading for my applications, but new stuff will be Forster or Redding for me.

Does anyone have experience with either of these die sets (Hornady or RCBS), utilizing the micrometer bullet seating tool? I bought the Hornady set, though after opening it, I'm a little surprised that it doesn't look all that extravagant for the price. The RCBS feels like it has a bit better construction to it. I am considering returning it for the RCBS, but I initially hesitated on more RCBS products after we broke a couple RCBS dies for the .338 Lapua recently.

The Hornady ends up requiring the purchase of their full length die set (I think you can get either the Custom Grade or Match Grade), and then unscrewing the top of the bullet seating tool - and screwing on the new micrometer end. Either way, they seem to be about the same price in the end.

I just wondered if anyone has any impressions of each they could share.
Thanks!
Sell those and buy a Forster

It’s not. I have had both of those sets and both load fine ammo but if you want a full length bushing die then return what you have and get one. You will also have to buy bushings with them. Measure a loaded pice of brass at the neck and subtract .002” and that should be the right bushing size but some like to try a little more neck tension so you can get one .003” smaller also.
Interesting...I wondered. I would like to try the die with specific neck sizing bushings. When using these dies, does the dies resize the body of the die to a standard size, while giving you adjustability with the neck?

I have three Hornady seater dies with that older micrometer on top. It does just fine for me, but my favorite micrometer seating dies are Forster, I like those better. I’ve never used the RCBS micrometer seater. As far as bushing dies go, I have Forster and Redding and both have worked well for me. After I bought my first Forster micrometer seater, I have not bought any more Hornadys. For what it’s worth, I do not like the Hornady resizing dies, the Forster and Redding dies turn out better ammo for me. The Hornady seaters with a micrometer are decent and not worth upgrading for my applications, but new stuff will be Forster or Redding for me.
Interesting...Ok, I'll look into the Forster stuff.

Interesting...I wondered. I would like to try the die with specific neck sizing bushings. When using these dies, does the dies resize the body of the die to a standard size, while giving you adjustability with the neck?

Yes with a FL Bushing sizing die. You are able to bump the shoulder back .001" and the rest of the body is sized down but it allows you to adjust neck tension depending on the brass being used as there are differences between brands and with a standard FL die one can be .001" and the other can be .006" of neck tension. Much better to be able to adjust the neck tension yourself.

They do make neck size only dies which don't touch the body and only size the neck but do not get one of them. You want to be able to size the body down and bump the shoulder for reliability.

To the Forester dies, if you are going to get their set then get this set. You can mix and match though in getting a bushing FL die from one company and a seater from another also.

Reactions: KYAggie
The Matchmaster micrometer seating die is decent. I've got plenty of Forster dies and I think the RCBS is as good. I'd throw the Hornady dies in a lake.
Ok. Funny! I started to feel the same about RCBS, because we keep breaking them. Hornady seems to be overplaying a lot right now. Their load data is a bit ridiculous too. Tried a couple of their suggestions and started blowing primers and can’t eject cases. Moved to some Nosler data and much better performance.

Yes with a FL Bushing sizing die. You are able to bump the shoulder back .001" and the rest of the body is sized down but it allows you to adjust neck tension depending on the brass being used as there are differences between brands and with a standard FL die one can be .001" and the other can be .006" of neck tension. Much better to be able to adjust the neck tension yourself.

They do make neck size only dies which don't touch the body and only size the neck but do not get one of them. You want to be able to size the body down and bump the shoulder for reliability.

To the Forester dies, if you are going to get their set then get this set. You can mix and match though in getting a bushing FL die from one company and a seater from another also.

Thanks. That is the set I found. I think I’ll grab it today. I didn’t realize there could be that much difference in neck tension with standard dies. My friend is having all sorts of issues, but is using cases from several different manufacturers. Thanks for the tip!

Ok. Funny! I started to feel the same about RCBS, because we keep breaking them. Hornady seems to be overplaying a lot right now. Their load data is a bit ridiculous too. Tried a couple of their suggestions and started blowing primers and can’t eject cases. Moved to some Nosler data and much better performance.

LM and NM 7/8" die bodies are more susceptible to breaking due to their thin wall thickness. If you do a search here you will find stories of broken dies from other brands as well.

Hey, does this die allow for an "adjustable" amount of the shoulder bump back? What would you do if you wanted more than 0.001"? I was watching some videos of guys bumping them back a little more.

By the way, I didn't see any shell holders on the Forster website. I have an RCBS press I'm using. Will these dies work in the RCBS press?

^^^ Yes.^^^ And any brand of standard shell holder will work in your press (RCBS, Hornady, Lyman,Lee etc.).

How are measuring your shoulder bump?

Do you know how to measure shoulder bump?

Last edited:
Hey, does this die allow for an "adjustable" amount of the shoulder bump back? What would you do if you wanted more than 0.001"? I was watching some videos of guys bumping them back a little more.

7/8-14 threaded dies move .0714" per full revolution (1/14 = .0714"). Every 5 degrees of turn in, or out, is roughly .001" of depth change.

By adjusting the die down in the press. You should do some more reading on loading ammo before you jump into it. Also you don't want to bump anymore than .002" as you are just asking for case head separations earlier down the road.

By the way, I didn't see any shell holders on the Forster website. I have an RCBS press I'm using. Will these dies work in the RCBS press?

Yes.

You can buy shell holders anywhere. They don't have to be the same brand as the die.

^^^ Yes.^^^ And any brand of standard shell holder will work in your press (RCBS, Hornady, Lyman,Lee etc.).

How are measuring your shoulder bump?

Do you know how to measure shoulder bump?
Ok. I was confused by Hornady and RCBS both using different numbers and I didn't see that Forster offered one at all, and people were telling me to match the shell holder with the brand of the die. Is that not necessarily accurate?

I haven't measured bump yet. I don't know how yet, but I saw a video of a guy using an attachment in his calipers. Is something like that required?

By adjusting the die down in the press. You should do some more reading on loading ammo before you jump into it. Also you don't want to bump anymore than .002" as you are just asking for case head separations earlier down the road.

Yes.

You can buy shell holders anywhere. They don't have to be the same brand as the die.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I will read up on it first. My friend is experienced with standard resizing, but we will both be learning how to resize more specifically now that we are shooting longer distances.

Thanks for the info on the shell holder/dies not needing to match. I was being told they should match and I couldn't find any made by Forster. I thought that was weird. :)

Ok. I was confused by Hornady and RCBS both using different numbers and I didn't see that Forster offered one at all, and people were telling me to match the shell holder with the brand of the die. Is that not necessarily accurate?

I haven't measured bump yet. I don't know how yet, but I saw a video of a guy using an attachment in his calipers. Is something like that required?

Don't take this the wrong way but it is very likely your own error causing broken dies. Breaking a single sizing die is exceptionally rare, breaking more than one is probably user error.

You can use any RCBS style shell holder you want with any 7/8-14 sizing die except for the headspace specific shell holders sold to work specifically within one brand.

Reactions: R_A_W

Yes. Get the set below and you can easily do it. It goes in your calipers and you measure the fired shoulder and adjust the die down in small increments to get it where it will bump the shoulder back .001-002" max.

Since we're talking comparator sets, I have used the Hornady set way back when they were Stoney Point. The set work great.

Since then, a new product came out similar the the Hornady set called the Derraco set made down under. It comes with the four most common bump inserts, plus 14 bullet comparators for a price well below the Hornady set if you bought the headspace comparators and the additional bullet comparators.

The Derraco set can be ordered direct through Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Headspace-Comparator-Derraco-Engineering/dp/B0CJC5JQ5V for $46.00 or through a U.S. based company called Ugly reloading https://www.uglyreloadingusa.com/product/headspace-and-bullet-comparator-set-c/ for $58.00 shipped to your door (no sales tax).

I bought this set from Ugly Reloading a few months ago. The Derraco set is much more precisely machined than the Hornady set and in my opinion vastly superior to the Hornady set.

Unlike the Hornady comparator insert that sits in the holder with a set screw, the Derraco insert threads into the holder with nicely machined threads.

Just my .02¢ on the issue.

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way but it is very likely your own error causing broken dies. Breaking a single sizing die is exceptionally rare, breaking more than one is probably user error.

You can use any RCBS style shell holder you want with any 7/8-14 sizing die except for the headspace specific shell holders sold to work specifically within one brand.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, my friend said he believed the die loosened up a bit after several loads and he couldn’t see it. He thought it would have resisted more before breaking it though.
Ok. Thanks for the help understanding the shell holder confusion. 👍

I have never heard of anyone breaking a sizing die. What fails? Do the threads shear off? Does the die body crack? Is this failure associated with insufficient case lube?
It's super weird. The die body cracks right up the side of it. Uncertain as to the cause. Using the same process as usual. Just the new caliber (.338 Lapua). Might have to do with the sidewall thickness (or thinness) from the larger magnum case.