• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How do you soften and protect leather slings?

Re: How do you soften and protect leather slings?

Obenauf's, it's great stuff. Originally developed to protect Smoke Jumper's boots from the corrosiveness of ash, without breaking down the leather like Neatsfoot Oil.
https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=18

As to applying leather protection/waterproofing, warming up the leather helps a lot. The pores open up, & it'll absorb a lot more oil/paste. And rewarm after applying as well. Then repeat. Just don't get it any hotter than you would your own skin, to avoid damaging it.

Leather is skin. I use Vaseline Intensive Care Hand Lotion on my leather. It works especially well with leather gloves, and I don't have to find a specialized product or pay a premium.

Turner sells sling dressing. I would stay away from other products. Good way to ruin a 50 dollar sling. If it slips off your arm, it doesn't do much good. I'd call Creedmoor and see what they say or contact Turner. I've spoken with Turner before, nice people.

I use saddle soap to clean dirty leather boots, and mink oil to protect them. Works great there is no trick just follow the mfg. instructions. You will probally not need the saddle soap the mink oil works great. It will darken your leather up a good bit but over time it will fade out some.

I worked in an underground coal mine for a little bit. The leather boots wouldn't hold up very well to the environment. My dad used neatsfoot oil on his boots. After 6 months, the heel area would have dried up and cracked = wet feet. Some other miners suggested petroleum jelly (doesn't have to be vaseline) after they have been cleaned and the leather still moist. I just rubbed it in and let it soak in the shade on warm days and inside during the winter. I did this about every other weekend, and the boots lasted 2 years before they dried up and cracked.

To this day, I still use it on leather belts and shoes. Even my dress shoes get a coating once every blue moon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeM0331</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard of using mink oil to soften and protect new leather slings. Does anyone do this? And if so what's the technique? Are there other ways? </div></div>

I soak mine in the blood of my enemies and hang them to dry while listening to the lamentations of their women!

i don't see why you'd need all that 'special leather treatment' stuff. go into a shoe shop, get non-coloured fat for leather. done.

i used that (similar to the coalmine boots mentioned above) for several years on my mountain boots. watertight and yet soft.

but you could also try a single layer of the oil extracted from ant ankles...

strongly suggest obenaufs as mentioned above.

a) leather is NOT skin - it is tanned, dehydrated, chemically prepared organic material that is vastly different than skin, which exfoliates, self-repairs, sweats, breathes, bleeds, etc.

b) neatsfoot oils and other natural oils rot (oxidize) like olive oil or other natural oils. This will, in turn, aide in your leather rotting prematurely. You know what the "tanning" process is? It is taking OUT the natural oils in the hide so it doesn't decompose/rot. As pointed out earlier, you can use a little of these oils if you use them sparingly, and it won't seem like it is hurting anything if you keep your leather sling dry and clean 99% of the time anyway.

c) I don't own any stock in Obenaufs, but I lived in the Pacific Northwest for 30 years and wore boots outdoors in the rain six days a week for 20 of those 30 years. And it is the best product I've ever used - and I've used everything mentioned in this thread except hand lotion: vaseline, other petroleum jelly, neatsfoot, mink oil, leather fats, all of it.

But if it is a leather sling, it is probably not meant for bad weather anyway. And a little bit of whatever you decide won't hurt anything too badly to notice...

Take a look at LEXOL products, they have a leather cleaner and a leather conditioner. Lexol is well known for quality and used in the horse community for saddles & bridles. BMW also recommends Lexol for their leather seats.

Obenhaufs...the only conditioner that should ever touch leather.

I use it exclusively on my White's boots, and they last a couple of years before they need a rebuild, even though I work at a Coal Mine.

hmmm good to know. I have used neatsfoot oil my entire life on boots, slings and all my familys saddles. Love the smell of it as well, but I am def looking into this obenhaufs.

Have noticed the leather on our saddles seeming to crack more than they used to...

Regards,
DT