how does the 300 RUM compair to the 300 Norma

mpk1996

Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2013
FL
out of the big 30s, does anyone shoot a 300 RUM? why or why not? how does it compare to the 300 Norma? looks like good quality brass is available and not bad for big magnums. velocity isn't bad. I think they are getting 2900-3000 with the 230g berger. what is the downside to ELR comp and hunting to the RUM?

300RUM, throated long, is best shot out of a single shot, or not mag fed. That'll get some really good fps numbers, done like I mentioned a friend gets 3150 fps with 230's in a 34" barrel.

300 Norma is great in a repeater.

Both don't give the greatest brass life. I can't remember the name of the Co but over at longrangehunting I saw a Co that offered stronger 338 Edge brass that could be formed into 300RUM - I think???

300RUM, throated long, is best shot out of a single shot, or not mag fed. That'll get some really good fps numbers, done like I mentioned a friend gets 3150 fps with 230's in a 34" barrel.

300 Norma is great in a repeater.

Both don't give the greatest brass life. I can't remember the name of the Co but over at longrangehunting I saw a Co that offered stronger 338 Edge brass that could be formed into 300RUM - I think???

Steve, was it ADG ( Alpha Development Group) brass ? RE: Not the greatest brass life...can you provide further details... 3-5 reloads on the Norma or Rum? Thanks.