• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How far can one accurately shoot w/o parallax adjustment?

Jayjay1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
Hey optic experts,

how far can someone accurately shoot with a scope with a fixed parallax, let´s fixed at 100yds.?

From which distance is parallax adjustment recommandable or mandatory?

:unsure:

Well, I tried once to shoot out to 400yds. with a Meopta 1-6x24 (older modell).
After 10 Minutes my eyes were burning and began to tear up, I could´t get the target sharp.
So I assumed, that I could have fixed that with a parallax.
Not?

After 10 Minutes my eyes were burning and began to tear up, I could´t get the target sharp.
Not?
Yes, parallax to put both the reticle and target on the same focal plane would help your eye strain from the out of focus image.

BUT if you were able to stay centered in the box you wouldn’t be inducing any parallax.

Reactions: Jayjay1
Not?

Was the ocular adjusted to your eye? Not familiar with that scope

Yes, the occular was adjusted to my eye.

What I don´t understand:
Why is it, that I can make an image on different distances sharp with the parallax adjustment, and why is it not sharp w/o adjusting the parallax.

I´ve learned once, that you are adjusting only the reticle with the occular, and that this has to be done only once, and then you can forget about it.
But you are adjusting the target with the parallax adjustment, to get it sharp, and so for every varying distance.
Is that not true?

Are there SFP scopes with parallax adjustment or not?

Why is it, that I can make an image on different distances sharp with the parallax adjustment, and why is it not sharp w/o adjusting the parallax.
Because that’s exactly what parallax adjustment is intended to do, bring the two separate focal planes into the same focal plane.
Are there SFP scopes with parallax adjustment or not?

Any high magnification scope should have parallax. Yes, sfp can (and should for high magnification) have parallax adjustment as well.

Not very well without cheats, personally.

Tried making a rear pinhole limiter, which worked very well but sucked as it was too ghetto.

These work well enough for their purpose, but are not “pinhole enough” for my scopes.

DISCLAIMER: NOT an expert.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayjay1
This thread, while not exactly applicable here, is pretty interesting and talks about some aspects of how parallax works that I hadn’t seen before:

Also, @koshkin has some excellent parallax explanations here: