How is 7PRC better than 7 Rem Mag?

FWIW, the next gen 7mm bullets are unreal.

I ran the numbers a while back for a 180 ELDM at 2500fps, thinking about my lowly 7x57. Crazy.

Almost made me want to take off the handy little 2-7 Monarch off of my 6-1/2lb Ruger 1A and mount something with knobs and a Christmas tree.😂

Only about 1/2 joking…..it’s a 8.5” twist…….plenty of throat…..no mag constraints…..I’ll shut up now.

That means I’m wrong. Still seems strange to make that change for almost no difference. To me it seemed the first article was being vague intentionally and just throwing 300 PRC in there to push it to the public

300 RUM problem is mag feeding with the heavies.
Difference could be cost to manufacture.

It doesn’t matter if 300NM is slightly better, as long as 300 PRC meets the threshold and objective requirements, and is cheaper.

I have zero insight into this specific procurement though.

Pretty much already said, but in a nut shell, a shorter & fatter case design is better than a longer & skinnier one.
- A shorter & fatter powder column can burn more efficiently (with the correct powder)
- A shorter case design allows the use of longer bullets without the OAL drawbacks of a longer case

Someone is always trying to build a better "mouse trap", but many of those new designs will not really offer anything better over the original design, it will just be another way of accomplishing the same outcome. IMHO, there is real measurable difference with the newer shorter & fatter designs versus the older longer & skinnier designs.