• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How many shots through brass?

Jay Metzger

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2010
North Georgia
Hey guys,

First, new member long time reader, thanks for any info.

Been reloading about a year and half now, I've got about 9 reloads through a batch of Lapua brass in 308. Loads are no where near max 43.3 gr Varget 175 SMK's CCI BR2 primers 2610 FPS. Gun is Savage 10FP about 1200 rds down tube. Brass looks fine to me, just curious how many shots you guys are comfortable putting through brass. My main concern is primer pockets. Using an RCBS hand primer tool, dosen't take nearly the amount of force now to seat primers as it did 4 or 5 shots ago. By the way, this load will do 1 in at 300 yds if I do my part if anyone wants to try it. Again, thanks for any info.

Re: How many shots through brass?

Primer pockets will tell you when they are done,
So will necks
After a dozen reloads, you should use the bent paper-clip trick to check for indentations inside the case down near the web. If you feel anything, the case is "done".
But as long as the the primer pockets are tight, the necks remain uncracked, and there is no thinning at the web, the case is still reloadable.

20+ on a Lapua case. Depends on the load, your headspace,how you treat your brass. Don't overwork it-MEASURE your headspace and only size the brass as necessary.

Primer pockets are never a problem in Lapua cases.

Your doing good at 9 firings. I run my brass a little hotter then you
and only get about 4 or 5 firings before the pockets start loosening
up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Primer pockets will tell you when they are done,
So will necks
After a dozen reloads, you should use the bent paper-clip trick to check for indentations inside the case down near the web. If you feel anything, the case is "done".
But as long as the the primer pockets are tight, the necks remain uncracked, and there is no thinning at the web, the case is still reloadable. </div></div>

+1 on the primer pocket trick. Read here about an issue I had with Lapua brass because I was incorrectly headspacing the brass with the FL die:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...490#Post2069490

Vman, I have one and never use it for checking cases. The paper clip works well.
Every once in a while I will hack saw a case or two length wise to re-orient my feel
to actuality.

I have used one for 30 od years and swear by it.
The paper clip (feeler ) system is ok but it only finds the web thining when it has progresed to a fairly deep groove and that's getting bad.
The Otoscope allows you to see the thining progress from not noticable to a shallow depression to a shaddow showing the actual groove . After a while you get an idea of how long a case will last and you start looking with more vigor as that time approaches.
I had a batch of cases that did not produce a feelable groove only a long shallow depression and the otoscope showed that depression but I could feel nothing. So it does have it's use.
I use both methods. I monitor with the otoscope and if I see a problem I insert the feeler to get a tactile reading also.
The good thing about the scope is that it also picks up case faults inside and alerts you to any sudden web thining from bad case forming etc. Great for inspecting inside , dies and other things. Would not be without one. Mine is a very old model now and the newer ones would perform even better I would think.

They are quite cheap mate. Ask your Doctor if he has got an old one you can have that's how I got mine. I got the idea after he looked in my ears one time I have hearing trouble from the war and a light bulb went on in my head !! . Perfect for looking into cartridge cases.