• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How Much Barrel (weight) Can AR15 Receiver Handle?

I have a 224 Valkyrie on a 24" barrel fluted, 6.5 twist, no muzzle device, measures .856" at the muzzle.
Its on a standard AR Areo upper, trued, glued, bolt carrier centered.
Capable of .5" 5 shot groups...note: with 3 shots through the same hole, with 95 gr SMK.
So....standard, forged, milspec recievers, work just fine, on bull barrels, no need to go high dollar billet, unless ya care to...
Your coin, your gun.
No one is denying a standard reciver is inaccurate, the debate is POI shift going from bipod/bag to a tripod/barricade.

Take that same upper that is obviously accurate in whatever position you shot that group in, and then test it in alternate positions. I'm confident you'll see a shift.

Now, a shift is not nessesarily a bad thing as long as you understand it and compensate for it in your data.

Take that same upper that is obviously accurate in whatever position you shot that group in, and then test it in alternate positions. I'm confident you'll see a shift.
What’s your opinion of how much that “shift” is shooter related and not firearm related? Just out of curiosity for my knowledge?

I have a 224 Valkyrie on a 24" barrel fluted, 6.5 twist, no muzzle device, measures .856" at the muzzle.
Its on a standard AR Areo upper, trued, glued, bolt carrier centered.
Capable of .5" 5 shot groups...note: with 3 shots through the same hole, with 95 gr SMK.
So....standard, forged, milspec recievers, work just fine, on bull barrels, no need to go high dollar billet, unless ya care to...
Your coin, your gun.
My AR will also shoot about 1/2 MOA groups... it's just the POI shifts when changing from bipod to bagged positions.

What’s your opinion of how much that “shift” is shooter related and not firearm related? Just out of curiosity for my knowledge?
My personal example:

I shot a group from bipod/bag and POA = POI. Moved to a tripod/bag and the center of that group was ~.4mil low. I shot a third group on the tripod/bag while holding .4mil high and found that by me holding .4mil high, the group centered around the POI.

My tripod shooting is ~4moa (I suck), but the group clearly shifted.

Here is the picture of what I'm talking about. As you can see, there is definitely shooter error, but a clear POI shift.
Screenshot_20240705_112715_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Forgings are generally stronger than billet recievers and tests have been done on burst chambers, and overloads.
ARs are temperamental in all ways of holding and maneuvering them for a shot... the gun likes everything the same, as the preceeding shot...exactly the same.
Just the way it is.
I never shoot them off the bench, always in the prone, and get on it...but with the same amount of pressure. Everyone has to find what works for them, but with consistency.