• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How much magnification for 1 mile?

KitShickers

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Supporter
Sep 6, 2019
North Carolina
I recently joined a range that goes out to 1 mile. Im putting together a 300WM build to shoot at that distance and it needs an optic. Im sure this is a debated topic, but Im interested to hear the experiences and reasoning from everyone on their preference of max magnification at that range.

Lots of different opinions will come out, no doubt. It also depends on conditions, if you have someone spotting for you or you have to do it yourself, etc. It doesn't take a lot of mag to SHOOT a target at a mile, but if you're self-spotting you need more mag, and most importantly, excellent resolution.

For me, I'm self-spotting most of the time. I mostly have everything set on 25X at that distance, even the NF 7-35 and SB 6-36. The SB 5-25s also stay on 25X. All of them have excellent resolution, so it works pretty well for me. A cheaper scope with similar mag but poor resolution would not be up to the task.

This is just what works for me, in the conditions I shoot in (Southeast, green hayfields).

I've kind of come to the opinion that the lower-cost end of the "buy once, cry once" ELR optics is the NF 7-35 ATACR. Going up in cost from there are the SBs, ZCOs, and TTs (and a few others), all very capable and with even better glass and other features, but the NF at least performs at a level that it could never be blamed for holding you back, costing you a target, etc. It's a great place to start if cost is a concern (still expensive, but somewhat, to much less so than the others). It is very popular in ELR comps, and seems to hold its own if match results are any indication. That said, I still prefer my SBs, but they cost more, and the NF has performed well enough I don't see it as a handicap.

Reactions: KitShickers
Its all about the mirage. No mirage 60 x. With mirage may be limited to like 15 x :cry:

Most of the guys at my one mile range use camera system's to spot the hits. About the only way to do it
When you say camera sys, do you mean a camera with a long telephoto lens and some sort of monitor/ipad? Or is there something specific for long range shooting?

Cameras with network links over long ranges. This is only 2400ish yards but they should be fine out to 10 miles or so. You can't really just stick a long zoom on a camera and call it done because they are hit with the same mirage issues that anything else is subject to.

IMG_6377.jpeg

Scopes with larger max magnification have lower internal adjustment ranges. The stars aligning to let you shoot at 35x is going to happen way less often then you needing more dial.

-Alex

its a little camera that goes on a small tripod carefully positioned to the side of the target. it then transmits video to your iPad or cell phone. Works really well and is not that expensive compared to a really good "spotting" scope. "spotting scope" AKA mirage intensifier ;)

you could also just have flashers installed and leave them on the targets and kind of half ass spot the hits with the help of the flashers. Caldwell makes one for $29 that works great. Jut put a few on target and leave them.

you could also just have flashers installed and leave them on the targets and kind of half ass spot the hits with the help of the flashers. Caldwell makes one for $29 that works great. Jut put a few on target and leave them.
If you want something that tells you when you hit the target, the frame or the ground in front of the target, they are great lol...

-Alex