How much should i pay to have a throat reamed longer

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hey all,

I have a rifle with an insanely short throat. It's an FN SPR with a custom 308 barrel and chamber. Previous owner said he had built it specifically for 155s.

Regular factory ammo will not fit without jamming. Does anyone know what a ballpark figure would be to have it reamed out?

I'm debating if it's worth buying and spending on 155s and loading that.

Or... Spending on reaming out the throat and use up the bunch of factory ammo I already have and loading for it with components I already have.

Reactions: Ronws
    308 Winchester with short throat or 308 Palma (95 palma chamber)? If latter, you're probably looking at lengthening around 0.025" or more (if loading long) so 175smk (and equivalent class bullets) don't get jammed into the lands.

Last edited:
    Oh man, that thread title… :ROFLMAO:

IMG_5531.jpeg

Might be worth seeing what a reamer rental costs. You can keep the barrel on the action and get one of the extendo handles and ream it out yourself by hand without much hassle using a full chamber reamer that has the correct free bore.

Reactions: stello1001
    Hey all,

I have a rifle with an insanely short throat. It's an FN SPR with a custom 308 barrel and chamber. Previous owner said he had built it specifically for 155s.

Regular factory ammo will not fit without jamming. Does anyone know what a ballpark figure would be to have it reamed out?

I'm debating if it's worth buying and spending on 155s and loading that.

Or... Spending on reaming out the throat and use up the bunch of factory ammo I already have and loading for it with components I already have.
    Ask VP Harris.

• Haha
    Reactions: FuhQ and stello1001