• Total voters

BurtG

GOLDEN TICKET HOLDER
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2022
    Northeast
    How often do you clean ? Suppressed ?

FNG says I am waiting too long at 250+ rounds “
    Biggest thing is keeping up with it and not letting the fouling/barrel get away from you.

I’m in the camp of not letting it go past a 100ish rounds in between cleanings.

If I shot a match today and put 70 rounds on it… I’m cleaning it that night before putting another 70 more rounds on it the next day.

You let it away and you can be chasing your tail.

Some calibers are easier on barrels than others… 6CM is not easy on the sticks.”

B2175A16-C53C-4EAB-B19A-75D8CE25BF5A.jpeg

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    Ahh. Speaking of. The stuff nightmares are made of

• Wow
    Reactions: 232593
    I shoot infrequently now.

Knowing they will be in the safe awhile they get about 8 hours of soaking with Hoppes and frequent patching before finishing with a light coat of kroil before going back to the safe muzzle down.

After every range trip or any time I fire the gun, whether 10 or 60 rounds.

Only time I did not do that was after sighting in the rifle I was hunting with this last season, I left it dirty all season.

And my 2 semi-autos? Clean it after the range, including breaking down the BCG and giving that a thorough cleaning. They get dirty fast.

My fclass 284 is cleaned every match

My 308 I cleaned after many hundreds of rounds. Just because. All it did was took me to get it dirty to settle back in.

My 260 is cleaned probably every 200-300 rounds

Reactions: 232593 and 101st
    I put down between 51-100, but basically I clean my all my rifles after using them for a range day, or sometimes after a weekend of shooting. I only shoot suppressed.

So for my bolt guns, typically under 50 rounds per session.

For my ARs it’s hundreds, if not thousands of rounds per session/training work up before they get properly cleaned.

Reactions: 232593
    How often do you clean ? Suppressed ?

FNG says I am waiting too long at 250+ rounds “
    Biggest thing is keeping up with it and not letting the fouling/barrel get away from you.

I’m in the camp of not letting it go past a 100ish rounds in between cleanings.

If I shot a match today and put 70 rounds on it… I’m cleaning it that night before putting another 70 more rounds on it the next day.

You let it away and you can be chasing your tail.

Some calibers are easier on barrels than others… 6CM is not easy on the sticks.”

View attachment 8479953
    Seekins told me over the phone to shoot the SP10 in 6.5 CM until accuracy degrades and then clean. So that’s what I’m going with for that rifle.

Reactions: Eggman
    Each barrel of mine has 200 - 250 pieces of dedicated brass for it. I clean partially at the halfway point through the firing of that batch, and I clean the barrel down to bare steel when I've completed that round. It gives me something to do while I'm prepping the brass again for the next round.

you're right, 6cm is not easy on sticks at all.
    the amount of rounds you can go really depends mostly on powder choice and how hard you push it. some powders are very dirty and will give you a gnarly carbon ring after a hundred rounds. some powders will let you slide by more than a couple hundred even in a suppressed 6 creed which is all I shoot.
    6.5 creed and x47l seem to be more forgiving about carbon rings and stuff.
    over clean, but be gentle.

Reactions: 232593 and BurtG
    Twenty rounds FGMM.

First patch.

image.jpg

It will get nothing but Hoppes and flannel.

image.jpg

Patch 2

image.jpg

I’ll juice up a third patch and let it sit.

Patch 3 and now I go away..

image.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette
    Every ~200rds (after each match) my 308 AXSR barrel will get powder removed (brake removed and crown cleaned as well). If it’s a two day match weekend, it will get cleaned once I’m home. Copper is about every 1k

what makes you say that? bartlein recommends it by name I believe, as have other shooters I know.
    wait you guys leave that shit in there? yeah probably don't do that.
    He means that Sweets is extremely aggressive, which it is. I used to use that a lot but since switched to BoreTech products. Works just as good and doesn’t require the setting of a timer.

He means that Sweets is extremely aggressive, which it is. I used to use that a lot but since switched to BoreTech products. Works just as good and doesn’t require the setting of a timer.
    don't time it. apply to bore with patch, depending on condition of bore it may need a bit of scrubbing and a few more patches.
    dry patch thoroughly for use in a few days is my methods. gets it out pretty quick.
    I'll have to check out boretech products again.

First copper removal patch. @Frank Green builds a good barrel.

image.jpg

Some of the old patches from cleaning my 1930s barreled 03 are still in the ass wipes box. Note the blue.

Nother 5-6 hours of patching and letting the Hoppes work.

I’m fucking around the house doing other stuff in the meantime.

Last edited:
    Time to wrap this shit up….

Last wet one…

image.jpg

Good enough for me.

Next a dry patch.

Than a patch of kroil

Than grease on the bolt.

Than in the safe muzzle down.

Hours of elapsed time, very little actually on the rifle.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Frank Green
    what makes you say that? bartlein recommends it by name I believe, as have other shooters I know.
    wait you guys leave that shit in there? yeah probably don't do that.
    when storing I use rem oil or Vaseline depending on the time-frame.
    Ah...because its ammonia based and it says to not leave it in the barrel more than 15 minutes....for a reason, right?

I'm a big Frank Green fan and I think he provides HUGE value to this board and I really appreciate the time he spends posting/responding on the Hide.

But....Frank seems to be WAY old school on cleaning solvents from posts of his I've read and I personally think solvent tech has moved on considerable since.

I have Patch Out but have found I like the Bore Tech products better...Carbon Remover, Copper Remover, and Eliminator for most cleanings. I will say the Wipe Out/Patch Out products are great on copper removal.

As for how often...I was going 200-300 between cleanings but have found Mr. Green's advise about cleaning far more often to be very sound. The more I shoot on top of carbon the harder that stuff is to get out. Now, I like to clean after a 40-60 round range session...at most two sessions...and the barrel cleans up far easier and faster. So, that's what I try to do.

And in case I'm giving a false impression...no, I really don't like cleaning guns but I do respect them so I put in the effort to take care of them.

Cheers Cody!

Time to wrap this shit up….

Last wet one…

View attachment 8482054

Good enough for me.

Next a dry patch.

Than a patch of kroil

Than grease on the bolt.

Than in the safe muzzle down.

Hours of elapsed time, very little actually on the rifle.
    Same here. After I get patches like that, I dry, then oil the barrel.
    Grease the bolt, and all of my rifles are stored muzzle down.

Ah...because its ammonia based and it says to not leave it in the barrel more than 15 minutes....for a reason, right?

I'm a big Frank Green fan and I think he provides HUGE value to this board and I really appreciate the time he spends posting/responding on the Hide.

But....Frank seems to be WAY old school on cleaning solvents from posts of his I've read and I personally think solvent tech has moved on considerable since.

I have Patch Out but have found I like the Bore Tech products better...Carbon Remover, Copper Remover, and Eliminator for most cleanings. I will say the Wipe Out/Patch Out products are great on copper removal.

As for how often...I was going 200-300 between cleanings but have found Mr. Green's advise about cleaning far more often to be very sound. The more I shoot on top of carbon the harder that stuff is to get out. Now, I like to clean after a 40-60 round range session...at most two sessions...and the barrel cleans up far easier and faster. So, that's what I try to do.

And in case I'm giving a false impression...no, I really don't like cleaning guns but I do respect them so I put in the effort to take care of them.

Cheers Cody!

Any time there is agreement than “but” it’s an indication of everything said before was a lie and everything that comes after is your agenda.

Any time there is agreement than “but” it’s an indication of everything said before was a lie and everything that comes after is your agenda.
    BS. It indicates an exception to the prior statement. Perhaps review your understand of logic. And there is not a lie anywhere in my post.

By saying so you are calling me a liar…I think you owe an apology.

AR 100 +/-,bolt-0-50,HG 50-100,22=100 +/-. was raised to clean every gun after any firing. PI certainly reinforced that. father was a navy gunnery instructor post ww2,so clean after every use was drilled in more than 1 place.
    the problem i have seen is not a careful inspection of guns after several/many months of no use. even stored in controlled climate and dessicant use.

BS. It indicates an exception to the prior statement. Perhaps review your understand of logic. And there is not a lie anywhere in my post.

By saying so you are calling me a liar…I think you owe an apology.
    He was going to give you an apology, but he forgot. No worries, becuase the words after the "but" are just an exception to the previous words. Surely, youll understand that your apology is somewhere before the "but".

way back in my callow youth ,i thought a new rifle was unfired. NOT. now we know that they are test fired at factory before sale. some i have seen,esp 22s, must have the shit shot of them. need a 3 session 30 patch run to get them mostly clean. anybody know of any mandated # of shots needed pre production form any company?