• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How to Make & Where to Buy 'Big Eyes' : Double Spotting Scope

BobD

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2012
e6e6347f605ec75827d7278d2139513d_zps5fbd6999.jpg

f1a54aa18e9cb0a8bb91a6794730266f_zps7785a0ac.jpg

02e9abc0c56fe0bd4d419c81c09da517_zpsf689f6bb.jpg

8be4ef28537ff5a1d51a54d0227f8e46_zps0b776b53.jpg

834f390daf2ecf44c67655a50c5585f9_zps6ac24458.jpg

I've been looking into this and have stumbled across some really unique projects others have built. I'm aware that SWFA has the Swarovski version but 5k is a bit steeper than I'm prepared for. I've seen people refer to the setup in general as 'Big Eyes', if its SWFA trademark I'll reword it if there's a different term

I recently bought a tripod adapter that mounts two optics... The other night I mounted a second spotting scope next to my primary and it peaked my interest further. It seems like there could be countless ways to accomplish this and would really like to hear how others have gone about doing this.

I figured I'd make a spot here for anyone else interested or had information to share

Anyone find a source that develops these?

Anyone here build there own?

Any trial and error to note? Angled vs Straight, Objective size limitations, materials, other configurations etc...

Please share any pics, Ideas or links that would helpful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is the setup that got me thinking, I mounted a second smaller spotter where the binos are now. It's may not be ideal or work with the 82mm but it got me excited. I'd like to give it a shot if possible.

20130723_175341_zps349ff2f5.jpg

20130723_180143_zps8feb23e3.jpg

I just bought a couple new eyepieces for my current spotter... If possible I'd really like to make this work with what I have. I'm really happy with the scope I'm using now. I would rather buy a second Nikon than start from scratch

9419c4cd0a9b4f8d9ec444148865ab52_zps795d689c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Every once in a while DeutscheOptik will have a set of giant "big eyes" cold war surplus (even WWII/WWI). Big old world builds made on either the finest German equipment the soviets could copy or real German/swiss/swde stuff.

Because this is 'Merica and thinking like this resulted in the double barrel shotgun. Someday the amazing double anus will be reality.

I do belive that merica did not yet exist when the double barreled shotgun was invented.

In all seriousness, because two eyes are better than one.

Right you are, and for those with enough money or need those "big eyes" sure does bring a great value. I am sure a lot of the guys in A-stan or some other shithole really would like that kind of optic to keep an eye out for the bad guys. /Chris

Just throwing this out there, but if anyone were to be using these for their own version of 'perimeter security' and whatnot..... what would happen if some adolescent asshole were to shine a laser-pointer and/or other laser device at such a thing. As in, what would happen to YOU?

I ask simply because those big-assed objective lenses are massive collectors of light, as well as large targets for any 'opponent' and whatnot. Are there 'filters' available to protect oneself of such things? I would think that any 'UV protection' sunglasses aren't going to do it, considering the 'magnification' that takes place inside the "big-eyes".

This line of questioning is predicated upon the point made to me by a cop, wherein he told me that the common 'urban bastards' are carrying as powerful little lasers as they can get their hands on, so as to 'knock-out' any video cameras that they see.

If any (or all) of this is true, I'm just wondering what precautions can be put in place. Anyone have a comment?

I do belive that merica did not yet exist when the double barreled shotgun was invented.

Your historical accuracy is spot on but still this thinking plays off the time when some Italian or Spaniard took a moment admiring his single barrel and thought to himself "If one is good two will be better!"

...and he like the OP was right.

For observation performance, and best of all reduction of fatigue, bino vision is better than mono but when you factor weight, support equipment, means of tansport you find the trade offs.

If I could afford just one type of "observation" device a standard spotting scope can be a jack of all trades. If I was scoring at Perry or sitting on a mountaintop for days on end with a helo to sling and tansport the "Big Eyes" that would be dynamite.

Two spotters, binos, why?

Well no, I dont think its necessary or practical to use all the time. I dont have any intentions to replace my scope or permanently modify it. I was thinking of it more as an addition. I'm curious how its worked out for those who've already tried this. Its a little awkward regardless of setup, but I feel it could be very useful.

The idea is to couple several of the benefits from binos with the extra magnification offered in a spotter. In end, hopefully resolving more than is possible with one eye, with quality optics. By adding the additional view, both eyes have the ability to put together more detail together than possible independently. Aside from accounting for any strength/weakness issues from either eye there is an element of synergy where one could view a portion of an object piece and piece the rest together (with missing information).

Yes, its a similar to oversive binos but with more magnification, 2 adjustable focal distances and equipment already owned....mostly
I think there would be an additional benefit from reducing eye strain.

In short, I suppose its an attempt to reap additional benefits from already good equipment. Its not a solution to a common problem or an attempt to make due with shitty glass.

I dont really have a use for the oversized binos. They're certainly interesting but its a niche that doesn't serve as much purpose for me. I dont have reason to justify their cost or added bulk or have any desire to leave my spotting scope at home. It seems most of them are significantly lower power than traditional 80mm+ spotting scopes.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having an another spotting scope. It could be useful to a friend or for using a different eyepiece, with a wide view, reticle etc...

It may not create as large of an advantage as I suspect but I think its worth giving a try.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

For ease of transport, I have just bought one of these, eGun, very nice to have out on a hunt, not so good for target scoring even though it will work to. To the poster asking about lasers and IR light, there are filters in most mil optics that do counter the effects of being blinded.

As a side note to green lasers and so on, lot of bad things are done here in Sweden with those things, as of last some drunk girl that got upset with a guy blinded him at a night club, unsure if he will regain sight at all. /Chris