Howa 1500/MPA Chassis in 223 rem....not picking up rounds.

HairyDemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I bought a Howa 1500 Barrelled action in 223, from what I can tell it is NOT a Mini action it bolts right into a Short action Howa 1500 chassis so it is not a Mini. I got it all bolted up everything fits in great, my friend let me borrow a few Accurate 223 magazines and they click in nice and tight but I have 2 issues.

1. Bolt stop is way too far forward and with the bolt all the way back it it is still beyond the ass end of the round, from research I could swap the bolt stop from a 308 class receiver and probably get the rearward movement I need.
2. Probably the more pressing issue, is that if I move the round forward of the bolt it will not push feed the round it still goes over the round. All 3 magazines have this issue. It seams like the magazine sits like a centimeter too low in the chassis and is not getting a good grab of the round.

I ordered an MDT and a Ruger 223 magazine but I am wondering if anyone has any experience, with Howa having there own little Mini action the water is super muddy when it comes to researching anything 223.

yes, swap the bolt stop or have a gunsmith shorten that one.
get the bolt stop switched out and try it first. you may need to contact MPA about the mag depth.

If you push the mag up in the well will the bolt pick up the round?
No this is my issue I know about the bolt stop, I will get that done. I guess I answered my own question and I hope that the MDT mags or Ruger mags sit up higher because at this point the MPA chassis the magazine is too low to pull a round.

I did try and push the magazine up, in fact I tried all 3 of the accurate mags that I had into the chassis. It is a love hate thing because everything clicks and sets in the MPA chassis nice and tight and locks in great, so there is no real wiggle room. Metal Accurate 223 mags are where they are no budge. I am going to give MPA a call tommorow. I am frustrate because I actually contacted MPA about any fittment issues with a 223 before I ordered this chassis as KL3309 pointed out about my post from Nov 2017 and they pretty much just shrugged their shoulders at me.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the Howa Bolt or receiver. Can you remove the stop or try a different bolt that doesn't have the larger/longer stop?
I say this because I did a little work on my friends MPA Savage with Accurate mags. His problem was the stop. A couple of other MPA chassis had a problem of letting the mag seat to high in the well. If you could run another bolt or modify yours you could check the depth of your mag.

I think it's a minor fitting issue and you should be able to fix the problem. Hope this helps.

I appreciate that everyone is linking me back to my old thread but I understand the bolt stop issue, but my bolt is not picking up the round reguardless of bolt stop....there are 2 issues here.

It was more for the benefit of others that would read this later. The bolt stop mod is something I have been doing research on and wanted to make sure that there was less work for the next guy. Carry on.

Reactions: HairyDemon
So trim down the bolt stop as I have been told multiple times..that coupled with MDT mags and it looks like I am good to go. The Ruger Magazines were almost worse than the Accurate mags. So for those looking for an MPA/Howa/223 I urge go MDT.

The Ruger mag and the Accurate mags that I have are worlds apart and are not the same thing. The Accurate mag is a proper metal body mag with the polymer internals to suit 223, the Ruger is a full polymer mag. Reguardless of what is stamped on teh side. In my case they are apples and oranges, my buddy who was letting me borrow the Accurate mag said they were the newer style from accurate. I wish the accurate mags would have worked because they really clicked in nice and locked up in chassis super tight. But height was not proper.

The Ruger mag and the Accurate mags that I have are worlds apart and are not the same thing. The Accurate mag is a proper metal body mag with the polymer internals to suit 223, the Ruger is a full polymer mag. Reguardless of what is stamped on teh side. In my case they are apples and oranges, my buddy who was letting me borrow the Accurate mag said they were the newer style from accurate. I wish the accurate mags would have worked because they really clicked in nice and locked up in chassis super tight. But height was not proper.
Interesting. I have metal Ruger mags, and they are clearly Accurate Mags.