• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

howa action vs rem 700 action

Re: howa action vs rem 700 action

As far as I am aware, there are no companies using the Howa footprint. However, I don't think such a thing is necessary. I bought a stock off the self Howa, and I feel in love with the darn thing, and I have never had any problem finding accessories for the rifle, got a Bell and Carlson stock on the way, along with a mag feed bottom metal. Also, I found a gunsmith that will work on Howa rifles, in a town with 711 people, so they aren't that hard to find. A buddy of mine has a stock Remington 700, paid 100 more then I did for the Howa. The Howa has a smoother action, and came with a better stock then his 700. We have been shooting cheap German suplus ammo, I am poor and can't afford to run super match all day shot me. Some of the rounds come a little corroded, my Howa runs them no problem, his 700 likes to bind up trying to extract them. Dollar for dollar, I would take the Howa over the 700 anyday.

I think I've mentioned it in another thread but I had a Howa apart when I rebarelled it and the machine work on them is excellent. I set mine up in the mill because I was going to true things up and it measured in the tenths of a thou so I didn't bother. The same for the bolt, I had to open a 223 bolt face up for the 6BRcase and when I indicated it all up, I ended up only touching by a couple of tenths to clean up the whole bolt face.

The Howa actions look to have the face, threads and lugs all machined in the same setup, the threads look to be thread milled rather than turned.

Mine with the 6BR barrel on it has shot under .2 MOA and never had an extraction or feeding problem, even shooting off the dirt with muzzle brakes blasting up dirt on both sides of me. The factory trigger is also a gem with about 30 minutes of work with a diamond lap and oilstone.

A Remington is like a SB Chevy, there's a lot of Chevy's around so there's a lot more support from the aftermarket and everyone knows how to work on them. If you want to do a really good one, you start with an aftermarket block.

My only complaint with Howa is that they don't make a left handed one, it's the only reason I'm changing to a custom action for my next build.

My Howa in 6BR below:

viperskins.jpg

The Japanese machining process and testing of the Howa action is better than Remington as far as stock rifles. They build custom spec rifles everytime they make one. The tolorances and machining are unreal on any one I have ever measured. They throw better, eject better, and run smoother than the Remington. I own a 700 VSSFII and have built one 243Howa on a 1500 reciever. The Howa is definetly a shooter in my mind.

I have a 1500 heavy barrel varmint .223 in a Bell&Carlson stock, for the price, the trigger after easy adjusting and smooth action very good rifle. When I can find another chambered in .308 I will be a owner.

Great rifles the Howa's, Ive built hundreds of rifles on the Howa action, from .223 up to .338 Lapua. out of the box barreled action, dropped into a decent stock will give you an accurate reliable rifle. and the Howa's can be tuned and customised as well as any.

RCSIIHowa.jpg

I'm not keen on the newer 2 stage trigger mind.. it would be nice to have an option of the single or 2 stage.
can't realy go wrong with a Howa 1500.

rgds Pete