Howa mini owners....ring question

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
So I have everything I need to finish my .223 build except the scope rings. I have a Vortex Diamondback tactical 4-16x44 on the way. Rifle is a 20" HB and I'm using an EGW base. That being the case will Vortex or Burris XTR low rings work? Or, should I go with medium?

Seekins low work with my vx6. Current setup for my daughter.
20210530_170359.jpg

Reactions: rookie7
I was going to go with the $24 set of Vortex on Amazon, but there were some bad reviews and even Vortex says if you're going to use them with a traditional scope, you should lap 'em. Since I don't have all the equipment to lap them, suddenly they're not such a bargain. Any (relatively) cheap recommendations? How are the Weaver Tactical 6 screws? I see Midway has them on sale

The least expensive rings I use nowadays are TPS TSR ones. I've got five rifles built on Mini actions, some with EGW bases, some with Warne, all are 20 MOA slope models. With TSR low rings, the power ring of the Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 scope is almost touching the top of the scope base on the 1st one I built, so I went with TSR mediums on the others. They all have plenty of clearance between the objective bell & bbl - the heaviest bbl I've used to date was a Bartlein light Palma contour on the rifle with the low rings, and there's still at least 3/16" clearance out front at the bell.

I was going to go with the $24 set of Vortex on Amazon, but there were some bad reviews and even Vortex says if you're going to use them with a traditional scope, you should lap 'em. Since I don't have all the equipment to lap them, suddenly they're not such a bargain. Any (relatively) cheap recommendations? How are the Weaver Tactical 6 screws? I see Midway has them on sale

You need to up your budget - in a few months you won't miss the money and you won't question your purchase choice either. Any new set of rings that are $24 are going to be low quality. For around $60 you can get the Vortex Pro Series rings from most any retailer. Warne and Burris also make good lower priced rings. You can order them from Cabela's or Bass pro and sign up for their emails and get $10 off your first order.

I have a few sets of the Vortex Pro rings on hunting rifles and they work well for my type of hunting. I like Seekins Precision rings for my comp rifles.