• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing HS Precision stock bedding block restoration

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
I gave a H.S. Precision stock to a local gunsmith to open up the groove for recoil lug in order to host a custom R700 compatible action. Despite my request not to touch the aluminum surface and just to mill off some polymer anteriorly, the guy in his ultimate wisdom cut back the recoil lug contacting surface (the right/green stock is the ruined one). By my measurement, he shaved off ~1.5 mm material, and the surface is not vertically straight. The holes for action screws are now slight off the holes in the bedding block, probably 0.5-1 mm backward, just outside the holes in the stock.

Without going through his irrational and dumb explanations, my questions to the gurus here is whether there is a way to restore this stock? I initially thought to cut an aluminum shim to build it up, but it probably is not to be straight. Another thought is to have the action bedded in the traditional way, but it seems the recoil lug would totally be in contact with the bedding material without contacting the aluminum surface. Is the bedding material hard enough to resist the recoil?

Appreciate any suggestion. The stock is not super expensive, but it's my favorite stock off a Remington LTR.

Bedding blocks.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Baron23
Bed it and NEVER go back to that smith.i
I really mean this.. my kid set up a jig to open up his lug area and used a high speed Sheetrock router.. it looks better than that.. he’s 20 but was either 18 or 19 when he done it.. all to say, i want to say the above looks like a kid done it but my kid would do better.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: yej0001 and Baron23
This guy works in a room in the gun shop I frequented. He is over 70, and I thought he must be "experienced". How wrong was I!

he offered to make it right, but I think I won't let him touch anything from me again. He does bedding jobs, but I may just have to take this opportunity to learn how to bed it myself :)

Reactions: Baron23
This guy works in a room in the gun shop I frequented. He is over 70, and I thought he must be "experienced". How wrong was I!

he offered to make it right, but I think I won't let him touch anything from me again. He does bedding jobs, but I may just have to take this opportunity to learn how to bed it myself :)
Bedding is not a difficult task
Just be sure to lube all contact areas of your barreled action.. I’m sure everyone has their here opinion but I’ve always just focused on the recoil lug area back to the mag-well opening on the HS’s and did not worry about the entire receiver back to the rear screw.

Reactions: yej0001