HUGE Barerel lead Buildup - Blown Cases: How to F

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
My friend has a Colt Cadet pistol with a huge amount of lead in the barrel. It is so bad, cases are apparently being extracted while under pressure as evidence by bulged cases and blown primers. It is like the bullet struggles to even get down the bore, which is further evidenced by something I doubt anyone will believe. The owner, a former machinist who knows how to measure things could not fit a precision rod any larger than .160" outside diameter down the bore. These rods are in a few thousandths increments. That is about a whopping .060" smaller than it should be! It is not as bad now due to some cleaning (see below).

The rifling is just visible and appears very shallow, but I think there is a ton of lead in the grooves. A recovered bullet showed lines of copper and massive lead smearing everywhere else. The gun shoots key-hole shots (bullet is sideways) at short distances.

I was still having a hard time believing this much lead could be in the barrel, but then the owner showed me what he had gotten out of the barrel already. He had in a Ziploc bag, a CHUNK of lead over an inch long and about 180 degrees around that he managed to knock loose out of the barrel. Plus lots of other lead crumbs.

I tried cleaning the barrel, but it pretty much comes out clean. I think I am just polishing the lead sitting in the grooves. The gun has a few thousand rounds through it and has been cleaned periodically. Mostly with Hoppes.

How the heck do I get this much lead out and return this gun to a safe firing condition?

Thanks.

- Phil

Re: HUGE Barerel lead Buildup - Blown Cases: How to F

THIS^^^^^^^

Father in-law carried a .222 rifle in the cab of his ranch truck. Dispatched countless coyotes, feral dogs, prairie maggots.

Long story short......the rifling from breech to about 6" down the bore was perty much nonexistent. Strands from a Chorgirl and a good soaking with Kroil did the trick.
Oh and some elbow grease.......

Well, I've dealt with some pretty badly leaded barrels in antique guns. I still go the old old school route and fill the barrel with mercury. No elbow grease, completely dissolves the lead. Obvious disclaimers apply...you are dealing with a toxic element, rubber gloves (long ones), a rubber apron, respirator, goggles, etc... You just put the mercury back in a sealed glass container when done and don't dump it anywheres, it can be re-used. If you do decide you need to get rid of it, you'll need to find a disposal place that will take it. In WA, you can go to the nearest household disposal pickup...they setup at the home depot near me about every quarter.

--Wintermute

50% white vinegar and 50% hydrogen peroxide.

Plug end of barrel and let soak for 5 minutes or so. Rinse with water and scrub then do again.

Don't let it sit to long......it'll pit the barrel