• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Hunting cartridge question for Rem LA

t rex

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2008
Houston, Tx (area)
I have a Remington 700ADL that I have bought a BDL conversion for. It is chambered in 30.06, I am looking into the 25.06, 270, or anything based off the action size. My plans ate to replace the barrel, true the action, and add a tactical bolt. It will be used on whitetail 95% of the time. With the rest being coyotes getting too close to my horses. Recoil isn't a concern but ammo purchase will be, since I don't currently reload.

Re: Hunting cartridge question for Rem LA

.25-06. Fast and flat. Varmint loads are abundant. Can get big game loads in TSX and TTSX. Should cover from poodles to elk.

+1 on keep it 06.. go shoot and see what it does at the ranges you plan to use it for....just plain jane will out shoot a lot of shooters..just a thought

If you keep it in '06 and want cheap reasonable practice ammo, you can get '06 ball from CMP for less then 50 cents a round. It would work on your coyotes and a box of hunting loads will last a long time.

Have had all of the above mentioned, over the years.....

The only one left is the '06, and currently being re-tubed with a heavy Krieger.

Go '06.......

On the '06 case, first, I like the .30-'06; does it all.

For peak performance, I like the .280 Rem, but ammo tends to be less available. With handloading, I think this is the best of the chamberings based on the '06 case. Use the 1:9 twist, and stay at or below the 168/175gr bullet weight.

As a more readily available alternative, the .270 Win is fine.

My experience with the .25-'06 was not particularly successful. Probably more my fault than the chambering's.

Greg

I should have been more clarifying of my needs. I was at work using a phone to submit the post. I am trying to build a rifle from this action and would like to keep somewhat of a budget, so I can spend as much as possible on good glass. Primary use will be protecting newborn horses in the spring, but will see backup duty as a deer and antelope rifle. I will need to hit coyotes out to 450yds(across 25 acre pasture). I have a friend that handloads and will work up 06 loads, or other calibers as needed. I just dont want to go crazy with hard to find brass such as 280Ack.

I have the following but dont want to change them for this need.
Rem 600 in 243
308 Abolt Medallion
270 Abolt SS
Johnathan

Either the .30 or the 270 would be optimal due to the range of factory bullet weights available. Plus yo can go about anywhere and buy those two calibers.

Get some Winchester '06 ammo with the 125gr. PSP and see what happens. It will do everything you have mentioned. There are a lot of 150gr. factory loads out there.